• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Intelligence and reaction Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobsican

He/Him
Uh... after doing some research regarding skill, I've come to the realization there's a blatant issue.
So basically, currently we have this:

Extraordinary Genius: Individuals whose knowledge spreads over multiple fields of science and who vastly surpass the real world's upper human limits. At this level, many are capable of creating extremely advanced futuristic technology, executing complex strategies even under high pressure, outperforming supercomputers, and even accurately predicting the future through sheer mental calculations. This is where super scientists of exceptional scientific knowledge begin to appear.
So what's the problem? Well, the colored text, "outperforming supercomputers", immediately raises the implication that anyone that can think faster than a supercomputer would inherently qualify for at least this rating, and we do already (see KH Stitch for a straight example with nothing else), but as the title of the thread implies, as a consequence any character with high enought reactions speeds should also qualify out of technically thinking faster than a supercomputer (namely plenty of MFTL+ characters and above).

So either we edit a bit the criteria and make it a bit more strict, or plenty of characters should qualify for this intelligence rating.

Uhhhm I am pretty sure this is needlessly nitpicking, and no we never give characters the “genius rating” because they are MFTL+ we give it when they are specifically said to think faster than supercomputers.
This is just taking things out of context.

I would say that thinking faster than a supercomputer isn't the same as reacting faster than one especially if you can outright outperform a supercomputer at the tasks it does like for example calculations. Most of the time characters need a normal amount of time for mental tasks outside of combat even if they are ridiculously faster than normal humans due to their combat feats.

I concur with Nehz and Pain. The language seems to clearly imply that they must be better than a supercomputer at its relevant tasks such as calculations. I believe most people already understand that having MFTL reaction speeds doesn't really have anything to do with your intelligence. Just see Saitama for an easy example.

Yeah, I'm aware that we do indeed don't relate currently speed to intelligence, but would it be too much to just be a bit more specific on that regard then? I recall we did change the meaning of "Possibly" for the purposes of description for indexing even if it wasn't particularly misused at the time.

Well, maybe we should simply briefly mention that simply moving at faster than light speeds and perceiving time at a proportionate rate is not enough to qualify?

I feel like this may be mixing up reaction speed with perception; since reaction time in itself isn't speed.

Well, we don't have properly defined what's perception speed, notably with how it doesn't have a section in the speed page respectively, so reaction speed was the closest formal equivalent I could find.

Last edited:
So does somebody have a suggestion for a brief information text to be inserted as a <ref> reference after the mention of outperforming supercomputers?

So does somebody have a suggestion for a brief information text to be inserted as a <ref> reference after the mention of outperforming supercomputers?
Maybe something like

"Outperforming supercomputers" is here used as an umbrella term for showcases of the capability to multitask or perform mathematics more efficiently that a supercomputer. Merely having a extremely superhuman speed of thought for the purposes of [[Speed]] isn't enough.

Last edited:
Thank you. I rewrote your draft a bit. Is it acceptable now?

"Outperforming supercomputers" is here used as an umbrella term for the ability to perform extremely advanced thought processes such as calculations and multitasking. Perceiving the surrounding world in slow-motion, and similar feats, due to vastly superhuman [[Speed]] is not remotely sufficient to qualify by itself.

Thank you. I rewrote your draft a bit. Is it acceptable now?

"Outperforming supercomputers" is here used as an umbrella term for the ability to perform extremely advanced thought processes such as calculations and multitasking. Perceiving the surrounding world in slow-motion due to vastly superhuman [[Speed]] is not remotely sufficient to qualify by itself.
It is. Nice wording you got, Ant!

I added "and similar feats" in order to avoid future misunderstandings regarding speed-related cases that we may have overlooked here. Should it remain or not?

Surely, without it some users would start to nitpick even further to claim that someone qualifies just because their speed stuff is in a "different" context.

I have handled it.

Is there anything left to do here, or should I close this thread?

Okay. Thank you to everybody who helped out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back