• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Real Life Robot Discussion Thread

Jasonsith

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
A Thread dedicated to discuss real life humanoid / animaloid / giant fighting robots, including but not limited to:

Boston Dynamics
MegaBots Inc
Suidobashi Heavy Industry
Tesla Inc
Sony Group Corporation
Honda Motor Company Limited
Chinese National University of Defense Technology in Changsha
Ubtech Robotics
etc. ...
Any company that actually makes real life humanoid / animaloid / giant fighting robots.

Feel free to discuss.

In fact I am going to make a profile for some real life robots such that it may be useful in power scaling for other fictional robots.

Yo just found this thread, can we also discuss other real life tech here that could eventually be profiled even if it's not robots?

Yo just found this thread, can we also discuss other real life tech here that could eventually be profiled even if it's not robots?
Sure. Just...

This thread is primarily about robotics and robots.

The applicability of real life robots to fictional robot scalings itself is worth a lot of discussions.

Okay and if you're already working on spot and atlas I assume you have abilities listed already?

Something like how spot(I think maybe atlas too) can map out 3d space to learn a interior and transfer that data

Well I will try to draft a profile for Spot and Atlas say coming Saturday like they are robots first. Actually they are functioning like drone planes and copters now so maybe that is the direction.

Also, now we have a rough idea the density of metallic robots are actually very... loose. Like 11.1763358% or 11.5289016% material volume to occupying volume ratio.

I think a good way to observe some of these in practical use would be to look at footage from the DARPA subterrainian robot challenge as it reveals a some of the strengths and weaknesses of them in operation. That's ofc moreso for things unrelating to hardware and material of the robots and rather the current performance and abilities

Also, now we have a rough idea the density of metallic robots are actually very... loose. Like 11.1763358% or 11.5289016% material volume to occupying volume ratio.
is this something that'd have an effect on your calc's posted above or did you find that out while doing those calcs

Last edited:
I think a good way to observe some of these in practical use would be to look at footage from the DARPA subterrainian robot challenge as it reveals a some of the strengths and weaknesses of them in operation. That's ofc moreso for things unrelating to hardware and material of the robots and rather the current performance and abilities
We shall look into that later.

is this something that'd have an effect on your calc's posted above or did you find that out while doing those calcs
I made those calcs already.

Now we may discuss would this have any effect on calculation of robot models material density from the volume it occupies. Since the values we pick currently are quite from place to place.

Now we may discuss would this have any effect on calculation of robot models material density from the volume it occupies. Since the values we pick currently are quite from place to place.
I have little calc knowledge from only doing a few clacs none involving anything like this so I probably won't be of much help in determining that

So hold on, say I'm trying to calculate the weight of a robot, assuming I have their volume, using these guys, what would be the rough "density" of a robot?

So hold on, say I'm trying to calculate the weight of a robot, assuming I have their volume, using these guys, what would be the rough "density" of a robot?
With this I'd assume so
Though ofc this is in terms of metallic robots

I mean, even then the material varies. I guess I could downscale the volume of a human for the humanoid ones.

Probably and I don't see things like size mattering since you should be able to scale it accordingly considering it maintains an over human form

11.1763358% to 11.5289016% for metallic substances
31.5980174% to 32.5948003% for organic substances
From this site
blog yet to evaluate (basically copying and playing with figures from the official website)

That's not what I meant. I meant like, the rough "specific weight" of a real life robot. Which I did calculate and ended up at roughly 2 g/cc

That's not what I meant. I meant like, the rough "specific weight" of a real life robot. Which I did calculate and ended up at roughly 2 g/cc
Your calculation of 2 g / cc?

If you want density be presented this way, I can add a row for such on Spot.

Dunno if it should be presented as an official stat but it would be something handy to use at times
For me, when calculating robot-related data, material occupation % (as one minus hollowness %) seems more practical.

I notice this as now we have a robot with a calculable material occupation %, and, yes you are right this data can get handy in calculating robot-related feats.

For me, when calculating robot-related data, material occupation % (as one minus hollowness %) seems more practical.
That doesn't say anything directly though, and since robots aren't made of one unified material it's impossible to derive weight from that. Obviously my "specific weight" calculation is a fairly rough assumption but it at least tells us what the weight of a robot per the volume their body occupies is.

Nice, is there video of it or was it just the announcement with the details given here?

Nice, is there video of it or was it just the announcement with the details given here?
One CG video was out. Likely not shot with a real robot.
Another video was out - shown with apparently a real robot shown talking with a host with simple interactions. (I personally expect some BigDog prank or some Boston Dynamics dance or acrobatics tho)

Development seems faster for CyberOne than TeslaBot surprisingly, but what promised in TeslaBot and other technologies already appearing in Tesla and SpaceX are still very promising.

Last edited:
Still a lot of catch up to do, esp. Atlas and CyberOne has launched their more versatile prototypes.
Yeah it's pretty damn bad rn in comparison to those who've actually done some real innovating ALSO really? I've been waiting to hear about Atlas updates on the Boston Dynamics youtube channel and it's been pretty quiet there, got any links for both?

Old news but seems like a moving and functional TeslaBot was produced and has been under test since then.

Disappointed that for a good while now we've no been seeing much of Atlas

Fyi the old atlas was discontinued and a new Model had now been made

Back