• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Reactive evolution redraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Doomsday's would. The character who has literal dozens of statements and showings of being capable of adapting to literally anything, can be assumed to cast a wider net than some anime twink who thought about having friends really hard and powered through two kinds of hax once each. In the latter case, you would not assume that he can adapt to everything in type 3 because there just isn't a reason to assume it.
The fact the examples literally talks about the user gaining new abilities and new resistances as opposed to stuff they've dealt with before and only the stuff they've dealt with before doesn't remotely help this argument of case by case or it being a NLF for them to gain new abilities or resistances, either the NLF itself needs to change to the fundamental description of reactive evolution itself needs to change.
That's still a NLF. Unless you're genuinely arguing that a character can adapt to literally everything on the wiki no matter its potency (and you aren't) then you are putting some limits in place. Which means that simultaneously saying that it isn't fair to put specific limits on what their RE is theoretically capable of adapting to doesn't work.

Yes, Doomsday's would. The character who has literal dozens of statements and showings of being capable of adapting to literally anything, can be assumed to cast a wider net than some anime twink who thought about having friends really hard and powered through two kinds of hax once each. In the latter case, you would not assume that he can adapt to everything in type 3 because there just isn't a reason to assume it.

That's still a NLF. Unless you're genuinely arguing that a character can adapt to literally everything on the wiki no matter its potency (and you aren't) then you are putting some limits in place. Which means that simultaneously saying that it isn't fair to put specific limits on what their RE is theoretically capable of adapting to doesn't work.
Doomsday does not have statements of being able to adapt to literally anything and it would be an NLF anyways

Glassman didn't say it would adapt to literally anything, he said it would be capable of adapting to just about anything in the lower levels. I've been having to explain what I mean in half my posts in this thread so I would really appreciate it if people started reading them rather than just kinda guessing what I said, thank you very much.

Last edited:
Yeah and what I said is "he can be assumed to cast a wide net with his RE" not "he can actually adapt to anything"

@Armorchompy then the page itself needs to change fundamentally, because it saying it can grant new abilities and resistances on the fly for stuff they've lacked before is counterintuitive to the whole idea of NLF and case by case basis. Which at that point we might as well use some variation of what Gilver's draft of the summary for the ability is since it's misleading right now.

@Armorchompy then the page itself needs to change fundamentally, because it saying it can grant new abilities and resistances on the fly for stuff they've lacked before is counterintuitive to the whole idea of NLF and case by case basis. Which at that point we might as well use some variation of what Gilver's draft of the summary for the ability is since it's misleading right now.
The first part should be reworded a bit, I guess.

Garou from one punch man literally demonstrated having a type of RE blatantly in battle, that’s why I think glass’s proposal with how we handle RE is for the best.

This sounds like a good proposal,I never understood why we limited RE so much. It defeated the whole point of the ability.

I agree with the OP.

Jesus, this thread is old.

In any case, reading through it: I find myself agreeing far more with the opposition here, overall, even if not in all ways. While I do agree that you can very well argue a character with Reactive Evolution can evolve against certain things they've never been shown to, depending on the context, I don't think this process is something that can be placed in the neat little boxes that the types in the draft constitute. Powers aren't exactly so linear that you can just summarize everything through a combination of types and possible uses.

In my eyes, it's just trying to impose structure and pattern on an ability that, by its very nature, doesn't have much of that. Case-by-case analysis is the best option here, unfortunate as that may be.

Last edited:
While I do agree that you can very well argue a character with Reactive Evolution can evolve against certain things they've never been shown to, depending on the context
For the sake of clarification, I'll elaborate on that: I say this because, most of the time, certain powers are branches of other powers, and are encompassed in those other powers, and in the case where you are shown adapting to a strong application of a broader power, I'm fine with saying that you can also adapt to a subset of it. For example, if Character A has full and perfect control over matter on all levels down to the sub-atomic, and then Character B evolves to become immune to that ability, I'd have absolutely no issue with saying that Character B could also evolve against Biological Manipulation, or somesuch, even if they've technically never been shown to, or if technically no one in their verse displayed Biohax in specific.

On the other hand, there are also cases of powers that just stand in parallel, and have no relation to each other whatsoever, even if they are technically in the same category. For example, if a character was shown to evolve against Fate Manipulation, I would never say it's fine to assume they can also evolve against Conceptual Manipulation, or something, since those two powers are completely unrelated, and there's no inherent connection between them outside of them both being "metaphysical" or "immaterial."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back