• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Reactive evolution redraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I get adaptation can only move through one type of hax that was shown except if the mechanism that was done can be applied in some other way or statements exist that support different types.

So someone may adapt to cold but this doesn't mean he can adapt to absolute zero or to extreme heat. Except if they say that he can adapt to any temperature or if his adaptation has shown such control of their particles.

@Armorchompy you do realize your whole comment on "Just because you can shrug off pressure points you're able to create a new fighting style in seconds?" Is already addressed by the Offensive and Defensive types of Reactive evolution right?
Ok, but that was one example. Ultimately you're presenting these categories as if they're going to be reasonably reliable classifications which they just cannot be. I just don't agree that by default one who can develop a resistance to any ability listed in one type they can develop it to the others.
The whole point of this redraft is to further expand upon what the potential of reactive evolution is supposed to be in the first place, just saying "case by case" isn't going to solve anything without actually elaborating on the ability. Hence the different types and the possible uses of said types.
But it is case by case. Elaborating is done by actually describing the power, types are never going to accurately describe any specific power.

@Armorchompy Even though the whole point of evolution is to evolve? If there's ever any in lore statements of the characters having a specific limit to their reactive evolution then we'd have that stated in the page. For something like Doomsday from DC comics where he's adapted to so many things that renders him unkillable there'd need to be some type that would fall into, hence where the types of RE comes from.

Even though more than a few abilities on the wiki are separated by types on their application, this logic doesn't make sense at all when we by default use these to describe these powers that vary a lot in fiction. Saying types never accurately describe any specific power isn't an argument here unless you wanna advocate to nuke every single type from every single ability on the wiki.

From what I get adaptation can only move through one type of hax that was shown except if the mechanism that was done can be applied in some other way or statements exist that support different types.

So someone may adapt to cold but this doesn't mean he can adapt to absolute zero or to extreme heat. Except if they say that he can adapt to any temperature or if his adaptation has shown such control of their particles.
In other words, a useless skill if you are someone with few feats of different adaptations for different hax.

You are limited to the hax that you have already adapted to, the problem is that you have already adapted to the hax, so you already have resistance to it. So reactive evolution has no further application.

And if someone says "he can use his reactive evolution to overcome layers of the ability he has already adapted to". The problem is that it enters the NLF. How many layers can it adapt to?

Woody as an example.

He has already adapted to mental manipulation, so he already has resistance to it, and as he is limited to what he shows (which is just mental manipulation), reactive evolution is no longer useful because he already has resistance to mental manipulation.

And if you go into the part "he can use it to overcome layered manipulation", does this fall into the NLF of up to how many layers? Unlimited by any chance?

If you are not a Kratos of life who has already adapted to almost everything, this ability seems to me to be useless as it is now.

Heavily agree with this. As Reactive Evolution is on the sight right now, it is quite literally the most irrelevant and redundant ability ever.
You are limited to the hax that you have already adapted to, the problem is that you have already adapted to the hax, so you already have resistance to it. So reactive evolution has no further application.
Exactly. RE does legit nothing on this site and might as well not exist. It isn't even slightly representative to what the ability objectively is and represents as an existence. Entire characters depend and are solely revolved around their ability to adapt to any given situation which is an impossibility due to current standards and treatment. They are not being properly indexed and that is a massive oversight on what our true objective is as a forum and wiki.

Agree with Pariah. By its nature, Reactive Evolution is evolving against new threats and abilities that a character encounters, either to gain resistance to them or new powers to combat said abilities.

As it stands, the power is not only redundant but very misrepresentative of what it actually is for a lot of characters.

Frankly, I think that the types can be worked on better but they're ultimately a good gauge for this power while not limiting it to the point of having an entirely different ability on the page, one that becomes almost fluff.

Reactive Evolution is always on the danger of actually falling into NFL or, on the other side, demand unreasonable burden of proof for its users. So overall I agree with Phsccarvalho, Pariah, Glassman and Planck on how the current state of the ability almost renders it useless, and I also support Glassman's RE Page, the suggestion of indexing them in different types seems to be the most accurate approach for this and avoids both sides of the problem quite nicely

@Serlock_Holmes wdym by "speed of adaptation"? Like how fast the evolution kicks in?

@Hypertornado099 Not all forms of space and time is metaphysical when it's more condensed at times, plus adding more examples is unneccessary when the description of it is already sufficient enough to put two and two together on what is what.

@Andika_CL_atmadja you'd need to prove the RE works on higher dimensions, otherwise that's a NLF, same applies to any and all abilities out there.

@Phsccarvalho if there's no stated limits on what woody can adapt to in the first place and he has more showings then it should logistically work on any other abilities in the immaterial and corporeal types.

@Stefano4444 I mean the proposed way we'd index reactive evolution isn't that far off with NEP. It would work like this:

Reactive evolution (Offensive - Type 2; "explanation here")

Assuming the character has shown both versions it would be like this.

Reactive evolution (Offensive - Type 2; "explanation here" Defensive - Type 3; "explanation here")

I'd be fine with any inputs on how this should be formatted.

Reactive evolution (Offensive - Type 2; "explanation here" Defensive - Type 3; "explanation here")

Yeah i also agree with this setting, no different from others and it will be easier to understand and grasp, most reactive evolution are only a form of adaptation to certain attacks and some means you also gain said ability, some means both

So it will indeed make sense to highlight all these out since many fail to actually understand this and tend to misinterpret the giving said ability "Reactive Evolution"

Agree with the OP, but we may require some more types (ways to divide abilities with similar properties, not even talking about how some verses have unique fundamentals an example that has already been mentioned would be "a verse where the soul and mind are the same" After all like mentioned repeatedly RE is always a close line between being utterly useless and being an NLF. So our goal with this draft should be an sketch for how to divide similar abilities into types that are fundamentally similar. Some examples of what an more specific type could be is elemental abilities, Martial arts, etc. This likely will take some trial and error to get an perfect page for RE due to it's nature. But how exact do we wanna make it, after all our goal with this is to make it more reliable, but keeping it not being used for NLFs? The more detailed we are, the less NLF their will be. But this ability is far to vide to make an perfekt page. But we can start by dividing it into categories with similar properties. And lastly i would say to keep it less NLFs possible, it may be smart to add limited, specific RE. Thank you for reading.

@Armorchompy Even though the whole point of evolution is to evolve? If there's ever any in lore statements of the characters having a specific limit to their reactive evolution then we'd have that stated in the page. For something like Doomsday from DC comics where he's adapted to so many things that renders him unkillable there'd need to be some type that would fall into, hence where the types of RE comes from.
No there doesn't. You just judge case by case, types are of absolutely no benefit in trying to determine what a specific example of RE does. But absolutely by no means should someone who has ""defensive"" ""type 3"" reactive evolution be assumed to cover the entirety of what that type would imply without sufficient feats in that regard. How the hell does "I can adapt to high temperatures that would previously harm me, so I can resist deadly poisons too" work? Those require completely different kinds of adaptation, there is literally no similarity between the two other than "they both hurt the body". It's fine to assume someone like Doomsday should be able to do this even if they haven't shown it, because their feats are wide and outlandish enough to cover it, but it is absolutely not fine to go, "Oh, Garou showed the ability to regenerate when hurt and adapt to poison a bit, let's give him resistance to Absolute Zero" just because you listed temperature adaptation as "Defensive Type 3", which is what he has.

Like I'm sorry my ass is not budging on this, you cannot set "types" for this kind of thing.

Agree with the OP, but we may require some more types (ways to divide abilities with similar properties, not even talking about how some verses have unique fundamentals an example that has already been mentioned would be "a verse where the soul and mind are the same" After all like mentioned repeatedly RE is always a close line between being utterly useless and being an NLF. So our goal with this draft should be an sketch for how to divide similar abilities into types that are fundamentally similar. Some examples of what an more specific type could be is elemental abilities, Martial arts, etc. This likely will take some trial and error to get an perfect page for RE due to it's nature. But how exact do we wanna make it, after all our goal with this is to make it more reliable, but keeping it not being used for NLFs? The more detailed we are, the less NLF their will be. But this ability is far to vide to make an perfekt page. But we can start by dividing it into categories with similar properties. And lastly i would say to keep it less NLFs possible, it may be smart to add limited, specific RE. Thank you for reading.
perhaps this is the best way, As I had already mentioned.

@Serlock_Holmes wdym by "speed of adaptation"? Like how fast the evolution kicks in?

@Hypertornado099 Not all forms of space and time is metaphysical when it's more condensed at times, plus adding more examples is unneccessary when the description of it is already sufficient enough to put two and two together on what is what.

@Andika_CL_atmadja you'd need to prove the RE works on higher dimensions, otherwise that's a NLF, same applies to any and all abilities out there.

@Phsccarvalho if there's no stated limits on what woody can adapt to in the first place and he has more showings then it should logistically work on any other abilities in the immaterial and corporeal types.

@Stefano4444 I mean the proposed way we'd index reactive evolution isn't that far off with NEP. It would work like this:

Basically yeah. How fast one is able to adapt. Midora for example from Toriko does it quite fast, while Doomsday needs to die for it to happen so it will kick much later in the fight and Scp 682 had needed days as far as I remember in some instances.

This will be my only comment on this and I wont reply to other replies since I don't have a lot of time, but I want to express my disagreement for this.
From what I understand, a character with one of this Types (Corporeal, I material and Metaphysical) can develop any of the ability that falls under said type, either defensively or offensive based on the showings. This is extremely NLF to me, and I will explain why.
According to the new draft, a character that develop, for example, a resistence to Mind Manipulation will be able to also evolve a resistence to Soul Manipulation because they both falls under the Immaterial category. This is an extremely generous interpretation considering that Minds and Souls are two completely different aspects of one's existence, and a character being able to develop a resistence to one doesn't mean at all that they can also develop a resistence to the other, especially if he was never exposed to it or the ability doesn't even exist in the verse.
This is even more iffy to me considering that Conceptual Manipulation (or rather being attacked on a conceptual level) is listed in the Immaterial category, which would mean that someone that can evolve a resistence to Mind Manipulation would be able to actually develop a resistence to some kind of Conceptual Manipulation, which is something I don't agree at all considering that concepts are much more fundamental than minds or souls (also, I think there might be a mistake considering that Conceptual Manipulation is also listed in the Metaphysical Category). But the opposite is also right, and saying that a character that can evolve a resistence to Conceptual Manipulation can automatically develop a resistence to Mind Manipulation is not true, considering they are abilities that works in vastly different ways.
And the Metaphysical part is the one I don't agree even more. Using the abilities listed as examples, Reality Warping, Law Manipulation and Fate Manipulation are vastly different abilities that works by altering extremely different aspects of reality. Associsting laws being altered and fate being tampered with and implying that a character being able to develop a resistence to one can develop a resistence to the other is extremely iffy to me.
Saying that Reactive Evolution should be limited only if it's said to be so is, in my opinion, wrong. Otherwise we fall under NLF, where if a limit is not mentioned than there is none. A limit should always be assumed to assure that baffling claims wont be made.
And regarding the "case by case" part, it might not be clear and I agree with this, but it's also true that interactions between vastly different abilities will alway be a case by case scenario. I will try to explain this with an example.
Character A have RE, and thanks to this he was able to evolve to the point of resisting Mind Manipulation. However, he doesn't resists Emphatic Manipulation. He is fighting against Character B, which have Emphatic Manipulation. In this scenario, everything revolves around what kind of emphatic alteration B have.
If said manipulation works by tampering with the Mind, than A can be assumed to develop a resistence to it since this Emphatic Manipulation would be a sub-category of Mind Manipulation.
But if the Emphatic Manipulation, instead, works by targetting the Soul, than A doesn't have any reason to be able to develop a resistence to it, since he never have shown the ability to adapt to any kind of Soul Manipulation.
Abilities and haxxes works in extremely different ways and dumping everything in categories can be detrimental to debates, considering that otherwise a character with a Metaphysical RE would be able to develop a resistence to virtually anything, if a user argues for it. The Defensive and Offensive part is fine, but separating RE into different category based on the nature of the ability (in this case Corporeal, Immaterial or Metaphysical) would be like trying to categorize vastly different things into the same general definition to simplify interactions between abilities, when interactions are never that easy to begin with.

I think it's safe to say RE with enough feat and context able to evolve based on generalization of n-layers hax and other. (Inductive reasoning)

Also regarding NLF probably that fallacy need to be revised to match more with logical framework of certain verse.

Also where does NLF came from ? that fallacy does not even exist in official formal and informal fallacy.

@Mr._Bambu You do realize my main problem with the NLF is the fact there's no good alternative solution on how to deal with the NLF right? The whole point of it getting types is to further elaborate on the extent of the reactive evolution the characters have in the first place since the page currently lacks any solutions to this.
I don't consider your solution to be better than a healthy caution towards NLF, though. As I said, I find it to be extremely potentially harmful, regardless of the actual intent.

But almost all space-time abilities are a form of reality warping though, I can barely think of any space-time ability in fiction that fits immaterial more

So we agree that RE page needs a polish, but the draft needs some work and much more categories/natures and wording how efficient and how long it takes for the user to "evolve", while keeping it away from being an NLF. For example,
Possible uses- defensive/offensive.
Nature- Martial arts/physical/elemental/ki/conceptual/information/mental
Category- Limited/Full
Speed/event- How long it takes or what needs to happen before RE activates

Now of course this examples are far from covering everything, but what i am trying to bring up is the format. For example, if 2 verses uses information as bases for skills, and have feats to proven they can react to information, it should be logical to assume they can copy most if not all information based abilities/skills, but it should never be to an extent that it just becomes an NLF. Therefore i recommend creating an RE page in this format, Possible uses-Nature-category-Speed/event. Now like mentioned earlier category and nature will need work on deciding how to divide them and add more of them. Thank you for reading, and do anyone agree with this layout for RE?

No there doesn't. You just judge case by case, types are of absolutely no benefit in trying to determine what a specific example of RE does. But absolutely by no means should someone who has ""defensive"" ""type 3"" reactive evolution be assumed to cover the entirety of what that type would imply without sufficient feats in that regard. How the hell does "I can adapt to high temperatures that would previously harm me, so I can resist deadly poisons too" work? Those require completely different kinds of adaptation, there is literally no similarity between the two other than "they both hurt the body". It's fine to assume someone like Doomsday should be able to do this even if they haven't shown it, because their feats are wide and outlandish enough to cover it, but it is absolutely not fine to go, "Oh, Garou showed the ability to regenerate when hurt and adapt to poison a bit, let's give him resistance to Absolute Zero" just because you listed temperature adaptation as "Defensive Type 3", which is what he has.

Like I'm sorry my ass is not budging on this, you cannot set "types" for this kind of thing.
I don't consider your solution to be better than a healthy caution towards NLF, though. As I said, I find it to be extremely potentially harmful, regardless of the actual intent.
So what other alternatives do you suggest other than "Muh NLF" and "I'm not budging"? You're not exactly providing any alternatives other than case-by-case basis to neuter the prospects of the ability and are in turn just making it redundant and not even worth having on the site.

So what other alternatives do you suggest other than "Muh NLF" and "I'm not budging"? You're not exactly providing any alternatives other than case-by-case basis to neuter the prospects of the ability and are in turn just making it redundant and not even worth having on the site.
I mean it's still useful as long as the character used is before the adaptation and his opponent is something that he has shown to adapt to in which case yeah he can adapt. But if we are taking the character after adaptation the site would only consider small changes except if the ability is overpowered in which case the applications will be increased, but yeah the ability seems to be heading into strictly case by case territory. Like there are as many types as there exist characters with the ability.

I mean it's still useful as long as the character used is before the adaptation and his opponent is something that he has shown to adapt to in which case yeah he can adapt.
But if we are taking the character after adaptation the site would only consider small changes except if the ability is overpowered in which case the applications will be increased, but yeah the ability seems to be heading into strictly case by case territory. Like there are as many types as there exist characters with the ability.
Uh... that's called adaptation.

RE by definition gives you brand-spanking new abilities rather than just adapt to pre-existing environments. RE serves to be a hard counter to destroy everything in your path, not just adapt to barely eke out a living.

I don't share this view since anyone with that ability has demonstrated feats (at least they should have) and using common sense can tell you what they logically can and can't be assumed to evolve to. We just wouldn't assume a character can evolve against something far beyond their shown capacity because at that point, it's nonsense. The ability is worth having, it's not my fault if a character just has no good showings of the power.

RE by definition gives you brand-spanking new abilities rather than just adapt to pre-existing environments. RE serves to be a hard counter to destroy everything in your path, not just adapt to barely eke out a living.
Yes, but only within reason. Which is why I think the the category idea is alright. It can at least serve as a ballpark on what can or can't be reasonable.

I do think those two could be fused but whatever. So adaptation uses your body more efficiently but RE changes your body to combat the threat. Problem is this is heading into NLF as everyone else has said. I mean if statements exist for possible adaptations(using it to refer to reactive evolution) that counter more stuff than the character was shown to eventually adapt to counter, then it's totally okay to get them as eventual adaptions but not stuff not shown or referenced. Basically every RE character would scale to the verse's statements about him and if there aren't any a little bit above whatever he has shown, because the character may well have reached his limits or whatever. Point is we can't no so yes taking the most conservative way is good for the wiki even if some characters which could adapt to way more stuff don't, because we can't really no.

Keep things as are, treating the ability case by case rather than try to pretend there's some universal guidelines that you can safely follow. I don't really care if you don't like it or feel like it's underplaying the ability's potential, it's in line with how we treat things and I don't think there's any need for changing it.

It would be a No Limits Fallacy to assume someone with this power can obtain any ability whatsoever. Its extent and complexity only go as far its feats and scaling have gone for it, in relation up to countermeasures to powers that already exist in the setting or similar, in a case by case basis.
Basically in the end this statement fits perfectly to this particular ability due to how broken it is in theory.

Basically in the end this statement fits perfectly to this particular ability due to how broken it is in theory.
What if there are statement that imply his RE able to bypass "no matter how many layers resistance you stack on". I don't think this statement valid for quantitative +1 layer. It must be qualitative like +N layers overtime.

It should be noted that in general RE is not like " if i have 1 layers then when i have RE, suddenly my layers jump to 999999 layers instantly". It does not work like that.

It's should be overtime, layer per higher-layers which depends on the feats.

What if there are statement that imply his RE able to bypass "no matter how many layers resistance you stack on". I don't think this statement valid for quantitative +1 layer. It must be qualitative like +N layers overtime.

It should be noted that in general RE is not like " if i have 1 layers then when i have RE, suddenly my layers jump to 999999 layers instantly". It does not work like that.

It's should be overtime, layer per higher-layers which depends on the feats.
Btw if his RE able to reach or transcend qualitative +N layers overtime, then yeah i agree it's NLF.

@Armorchompy Ok do you admit that Doomsday has enough of a variety with his reactive evolution that he is capable of adapting to anything in the Corporeal aspect. So why not categorize it when the types by default show an upper limit to what the characters in each type are capable of? Unless you think that Doomsday can just adapt to any and all abilities that is out there because he constantly adapts despite not showing much feats outside of the Corporeal aspect. Also your Garou example doesn’t really help much when he literally has extreme temperature resistance by default in his cosmic fear mode. So adapting to something temperature related isn’t that unreasonable for him.

@Mr._Bambu How exactly is it harmful to expand upon the different ways Reactive evolution works? I seriously wanna know because you’re not remotely elaborating on anything beyond “it’s harmful”.

@Hypertornado099 Any character with specific forms of spatial manipulation and limited form of time manipulation like several anime characters come to mind. It’s not all reality defining stuff.

@Serlock_Holmes You’d just list off the timefrrame it takes in the page, simple as that.

@ThanatosX I seriously wanna know why you said that soul hax and mindhax adaptation is something that cannot happen because it doesn’t exist in a lot of verse while also saying that describing the reactive evolution to be limited to specific abilities is also wrong? You just contradicted yourself there. As for the conceptual manipulation it’s literal type 3 Concept hax that’s in the immaterial, I even specified the higher tier Concept Hax as something that needs some evidence in the Metaphysical level so idk why you’re glossing over that part I made clear.

@Armorchompy Ok do you admit that Doomsday has enough of a variety with his reactive evolution that he is capable of adapting to anything in the Corporeal aspect. So why not categorize it when the types by default show an upper limit to what the characters in each type are capable of? Unless you think that Doomsday can just adapt to any and all abilities that is out there because he constantly adapts despite not showing much feats outside of the Corporeal aspect. Also your Garou example doesn’t really help much when he literally has extreme temperature resistance by default in his cosmic fear mode. So adapting to something temperature related isn’t that unreasonable for him.
Because your types are completely arbitrary. I've gone over this several times already, I don't care to do it until one of us gets tired of it. There's absolutely no reason to assume that a character that shows RE of one type can adapt to most other things in the type without evidence. My issue is not with "the type showing an upper limit", it's with the assumption that the limit is necessarily that high and the breadth of abilities a character can adapt to is that wide.

Cosmic Fear is a whole different thing from base Garou, he gained that power thanks to outside intervention, it's not something he can reach on his own. So no, my example stands just fine.

I don't share this view since anyone with that ability has demonstrated feats (at least they should have) and using common sense can tell you what they logically can and can't be assumed to evolve to. We just wouldn't assume a character can evolve against something far beyond their shown capacity because at that point, it's nonsense. The ability is worth having, it's not my fault if a character just has no good showings of the power.
"common sense" that depends from person to person.

This ability becomes almost useless for characters who don't have a huge range of RE like Kratos, etc.

And "Far beyond demonstrated capacity" is not a given when it comes to hax.

It's not simply AP that the higher the number is, the stronger it is. Each hax is different from itself, so what would be someone's maximum capacity?

For example, a guy who through RE resisted soul. By "common sense" as you say, what would be the range of abilities that he could evolve to resist?

And what you think might be plausible for him to resist through RE might not be the same as someone else's.

Since there is nothing objective about it.

-

Unless a rule is made like "it is plausible for the character to do RE for skills that are subcategories of the skill he resisted with RE"

Like Woody with mental manipulation and what Armor said about that.
I would find it acceptable to say he can probably adapt to similar effects that can target his mind (fear, madness, empathic, perception)

Last edited:
RE is basically NLF the ability. Users of RE constantly adapt, breaking their limits in response to incoming threats. "Muh NLF" isnt exactly a good counter.
It definitely is. Just because they are shown to adapt through some of their limits doesn't mean they can break past all of them, unless you want to make them tier 0. And if we all accept that they aren't capable of shooting that high, then we agree that there must be some limits to the ability, and at that point invoking NLF is completely valid. But I'm not really doing that anyways, Glassman is setting some limits in place, the issue is that they're completely arbitrary and set in stone without actual care for the verse's portrayal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back