• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Quote (Cave Story) Durability/AP/Speed Upgrade

I was looking through Quote's page, and it looks like it needs to be upgraded.

Quote has fought with and defeated Ballos, who is mentioned to have destroyed his entire kingdom, and the Core, who was the force holding up the entire floating island.

Also, there are multiple instances of Quote dodging lightning, such as in the fights with Misery and Ballos.

I can provide links if neccessary.

Before we start upgrading, can you start posting those scans? It's a lot better to have something to go off of for those of us who haven't played the game.

The Island
The Island

Sure thing.

First and foremost, this is the Island. I don't think it's possible to determine it's exact size, but it is at least as big, if not bigger, than all of the zones combined:

First Cave (Unmarked)
First Cave

Mimiga Village (Unmarked)
Mimiga Village

Egg Corridor (Unmarked)
Egg Corridor

Grasstown (Unmarked)
Grasstow

Sand Zone (Unmarked)
Sand Zone

Labyrinth B (Unmarked)
Labyrinth B

Labyrinth H (Unmarked)
Labyrinth H

Labyrinth I (Unmarked)
Labyrinth I

Labyrinth M (Unmarked)
Labyrinth M

Labyrinth W (Unmarked)
Labyrinth W

Labyrinth - Core (Unmarked)
Labyrinth - Core

Waterway (Unmarked)
Waterway

Outer Wall (Unmarked)
Outer Wall

Plantation (Unmarked)
Plantatio

Last Cave (Unmarked)
Last Cave

Balcony (Unmarked)
Balcony

Sacred Ground - B1 (Unmarked)
Sacred Ground - B1

Sacred Ground - B2 (Unmarked)
Sacred Ground - B2

Sacred Ground - B3 (Unmarked)
Sacred Ground - B3

While I was adding these, I realized that you might be able to calculate the size of the Island by using the Outer Wall. Not sure though.
Anyways, the Core is the force holding up the Island. After defeating it, Misery will teleport to the scene and state that the Core is the "heart if the island" and that "if you stop it, the island will fall to the earth": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idJjPjQ0XQw (she says it around 2:45). The Doctor then teleports in as well, telling Misery to bring the Core to lab via teleportation while there is still time, which she does.

Later in the game, after defeating the Undead Core, which is the body of the Core possesed by the Doctor, you wake to find that the Island has begun to collapse. After running and jumping off of the edge, a brief cutscene is shown where the Island falls to the ground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJHV-zz5O1A (the Island falls at around 2:07).

Now that that's out of the way, let's move onto Ballos.

Ballos is the true final boss of the game, only accessible with certain requirements. While going through his stage, the Sacred Grounds, a narrative will be displayed along the bottom of the screen. It tells us that Ballos had magical powers, which he used to protect his people. The king was jealous, so he imprisoned and tortured Ballos to the point where snapped, and destroyed his entire kingdom with magic. I couldn't find any scans/videos, but you can read both translations at http://www.cavestory.org/game-info/theory-reference.php The narrative is at very bottom of the page, and the kingdom-destroying part is under "Hell Narrative Part 4". Both translations pretty much say the exact same thing.

Also, it never really specifies how big the kingdom actually was. The definition of a kingdom, according to a quick Google search, is "a country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen". What would this be then? Would it be at least Small Country Level or something along those lines?

Anyways, those seem to be the strongest opponents that Quote has fought with and beaten. Time for some speed stuff.

As mentioned above, there are multiple instances where Quote dodges lightning. The first one is during the Misery boss fight at around 1:59: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNt2RWBBKeI

The second one is during the Ballos fight at around 1:15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwqQY7n9r2s

There is another one, during the fight with the Heavy Press, but I'm not sure if it counts, as it does come from a machine. It's around 6:25: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwAXABuej4

I'm not sure how to do this kind of scaling, so you're out of luck with me for an exact number, but depending on how high and large the Island is I'd say that that it can range from anywhere between small island to continent level.

Destroying an entire kingdom is a bit more vague, but depending on its size you'd get anywhere from Large Town to Island level assuming its your stereotypical castle town rather than an empire of sorts (which would qualify for country level).

You should probably try to submit a calc request on the forums for confirmation though. Khapoios and Alakabamm seem to be running around doing calcs left and right, so you should probably ask them first.

You'll find the official thread for this here.

I would be patient, they're constantly swamped with requests so it might take a while before your request is processed or (in my case) never be processed at all.

If worst comes to worst, you could directly ask an experienced calcer like Khapoios to do it, but like I said the calcers are swamped with requests so don't put too much hope in getting a response.

Lightning dodging is always iffy since the speed of the lightning has to be calced. It also depends on whether or not the lightning is natural or artificial.

Generally you will almost always get a minimum of supersonic, but hypersonic and massively hypersonic are possibilities. Once again, you'll need scans for this, but I'm not to guy to go to for this.

So, it's been about a month and I've gotten no response from the calc thread. Do you think at least Small Island level sounds good?

As long as you post a scan, I don't see why not, but there's also the possibility of asking one of the members of the calc team (Khapoios, DontTalk, Alakabaam) directly to see if they have anything to say about it. Just remember to be polite and patient.

Back