• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question About Space Marine Calc

Why doesn't this calc account for terminal velocity (unless there's no air in that particular setting, I haven't actually read The Wolf of Ash and Fire)?

Not familiar with Warhammer, but we could ask Crabwhale as he appears to be the most active supporter. Anyway, I think another factor was that planet Gorro does legit have stronger gravity than Earth's; one hit is the fact that 200 kilometers was within the orbit contrary to 160 km being Earth's orbiting range. I also don't know of any statement confirming whether or not it has air resistance though.

I do agree that Terminal Velocity would be important unless there's context of their being no air resistance. Which this tool could help.

Uh, dunno. I'll have to ask Matt, he's the one who made it.

It's based on a method for calculating the kinetic energy of falls. It doesn't follow the usual terminal velocity formula, the final result doesn't come just from speed anyways.

It looks more like Potential energy rather than kinetic energy. But DontTalk did go over calculations regarding free falling and that they should only exceed terminal velocity speeds if there's context behind it. If there's proof that planet Gorro has no air resistance, then the calc is fine; but contrary to popular belief. Most reentry feats usually get Wall level results when done using more accurate formulas.

Back