• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about a crater

Soldier_Blue

VS Battles
Retired
A ship called Pillar of Autumn self-destructs and carves out this crater in a Halo installation. The Halo rings have a surface width of 318 km. From this, I tried getting a diameter for that crater. It's roughly 190+ km across. And it looks to be quite deep. This is actually comparable to the Chicxulub crater which was carved out by the asteroid which wiped out the dinosaurs (other than birds). According to scientists, that impact was in the 100+ Teraton range.

So is it safe to say that this is also a High 6-B event?

Or could someone get more solid results for this?

Yes, but I am not so sure if we can do a High 6-B tier rating for this one as it seems it might be higher than that as not to mention it was a thermonuclear explosion IIRC. That Halo Installation you were talking about is Halo Installation 04 that was being monitored by 343 Guilty Spark.

Yeah it's Guilty Spark's ring. By the way, if I made a profile for UNSC cruisers, would a High 6-B rating via self-destruct be okay or not?

@Soldier Blue Yes it should be okay since it scaled to direct AP, but make a explanation or a note on why it should be rated High 6-B.

Of course. If I made a profile for the Halcyon-class for example:

7-C with MAC | 7-B with Shiva-class missiles | High 6-B via self-destruct

Very, very impressive. I think that I will be doing a calc on this feat to see how much it yields.

We just need to calculate the amount of energy required to create a crater of that size after all.

Also I liked to add on this feat of it being involving self destructing nuclear reactors. I think the Pillar of Autumn has three nuclear reactors. However those other two nuclear reactors not really used as much anyway.

The Engine, I have found some useful information that can hopefully be used.

"In 2531, UNSC Spirit of Fire reused its slipspace engine as an improvised bomb in order to induce a supernova in the miniature star at the heart of a Shield World"

"Human drives typically cover between 2-3 light-years per twenty-four hours while Covenant ships have been known to travel more than 900 light-years in the same time. Forerunner Dreadnoughts have been calculated at over 2,000 light-years per twenty-four hours."

@Colonel Yes plus this one from this page : Pillar of Autumn's reactor was able to be overloaded by explosives, either grenades or rockets, destroying the vulnerable vent cores. Once these were destroyed, the reactor began to go critical, resulting in temperatures of over 100,000,000 degrees and a thermonuclear explosion large enough to tear apart a Halo Installation."

Back