• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Problems with Thorkell's page 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
It said "intimidated a viking so much that he mentally broke" which fits.
Putting it as "When he is serious, others literally perceive him as a Daemon which causes their minds to snap." makes no sense because Thorkell wasn't serious at all.
The mind of his enemy broke cuz he had to face Thorkell in a 1 vs 1. Thorkell approaching him was enough for the man to lose his mind, lose his memories, and revert back to the mind of a child.
Intimidating someone one isn't Fear Aura tho. It needs to be explained that he can 'put pressure' on or exude an aura that causes others to perceive him as Daemonic.

His name being particularly feared works inside the verse, and as such is valid only inside of it, hence it counts as limited.

And Thorkell scared a lot of people and many others would shit their pants (me included) but it wouldn't work on someone with a superior mental fortitude or another who's just strong as him or more.

There are real cases of people who died of fright, but that's the same as those who remained traumatized for a reason or another.
It's something related to the victim, not the thing or the person that caused it, despite it being more or less scary.

Intimidating someone one isn't Fear Aura tho. It needs to be explained that he can 'put pressure' on or exude an aura that causes others to perceive him as Daemonic.
That doesn't work because Thorkell doesn't have a magical actual aura that creates illusion.

As I explained earlier, an "aura" can exist in the real world, but it's a type of psychological influence that happens when a series of conditions are met, not a literal superpower.

And Thorkell being seen as a demon was Torgrim's allucination, not Thorkell who decided to being perceived that way.

His name being feared works as Social Influencing, but only in the verse, yes, considering that he's the strongest viking there.
Again, Thorkell's feat of breaking Torgrim's isn't any less impressive what Stain did. Stain scared others with his aura, Thorkell broke a viking's mind with his aura which made the said viking lose his memories and revert back to the mind of a child.

His name being feared works as Social Influencing, but only in the verse, yes, considering that he's the strongest viking there.
Again, Thorkell's feat of Thorgrim's mind isn't any less impressive what Stain did. Stain scared others with his aura, Thorkell broke a viking's mind with his aura which made the said viking lose his memories and revert back to the mind of a child.
Bro, im sorry man but this isn't social influencing in the slightest. Infamy=/= social influencing and it never has.

Bro, im sorry man but this isn't social influencing in the slightest. Infamy=/= social influencing and it never has.
Aight.
So Thorkell's feat of breaking someone's mind with his aura and Stain's feat of scaring others with his aura should be considered as Fear Manipulation?

Can we please don't use Stain as an argument? He doesn't have anything to do with this topic, and if he is wrong he will be changed in the due CRT.

And again, Thorkell's aura is psychological pressure, which works differently on each victim, he doesn't go around turning people into empty husks just because he wants to do so.

Otherwise every person in real life who caused a psychological damage or a trauma to someone else would have a superpower.

Anyway, I still think that Thorkell's particular case of infamy can be listed if "limited" is added to social influencing.
It is a peculiar ability that can be used in an enormous variety of ways, and it still works in-verse, so it has some kind of legitimacy.

Otherwise every person in real life who caused a psychological damage or a trauma to someone else would have a superpower.

Nobody in this world can break someone's mind by simply standing, people like Hannibal Lecter or Johan Liebert do not exist :p I can get it's not a superpower, but it's far above any real life circumstance.

Others perceiving you as a literal Daemon is enough for fear aura. Breaking someones mind with it is kind of irrelevant, anyones mind would break under enough fear. It's not the first time he has been perceived with a Daemonic form by someone.

Nobody in this world can break someone's mind by simply standing, people like Hannibal Lecter or Johan Liebert do not exist :p I can get it's not a superpower, but it's far above any real life circumstance.
Thorkell didn't just stand, before facing Torgrim he brutally dismembered people and demonstrated his brutality and inhuman strength in different ways, despite the fact that he cornered Torgrim and shattered all of his hopes.

It definitely is a type of social influencing, but he didn't decide "Ok, not I'm going to shatter his mind and turn him into a baby".
He was also surprised of what happened to Torgrim, meaning that he didn't intend to reduce him in that specific condition.

And it's not different from someone being scared to death or traumatized by something or someone in a similar way, it can even happen very quickly depending on the situation and the person.

Torgrim is also not the only one who sees Thorkell as a demon. Again, in the flashback chapter, they described Thorkell as a big storm and he was shown as a demon.
Thorkell's feat of looking like a literal demon to someone and breaking their mind by simply approaching them is not something anyone in real life can do.

Torgrim is also not the only one who sees Thorkell as a demon. Again, in the flashback chapter, they described Thorkell as a big storm and he was shown as a demon.
Thorkell's feat of looking like a literal demon to someone and breaking their mind by simply approaching them is not something anyone in real life can do.
Could you link that one? Might change the discussion a bit.

Breaking someones mind with fear is sort of irrelevant, again anyones mind would snap/do regularly snap in the middle of war. The Daemonic stuff is fine tho.

Breaking someones mind with fear is sort of irrelevant, again anyones mind would snap/do regularly snap in the middle of war. The Daemonic stuff is fine tho.
It's not like Torgrim was anything special, but he still was a viking who regularly did viking stuff. His mind snapped cuz he had to face the strongest man in the world in a 1 vs 1. He was defeated before his fight against Thorkell even started.

Having a demonic aura and breaking someone's mind by simply approaching them is not Fear Manipulation, but Stain's feat is?

I saw the chapter, that's a flashback in which Thorkell's daughter thinks of his father.
She doesn't have memories of him and pictures him as a demon because she always heard that he was an intimidating person and his presence was like a storm.
It's how she imagines her father due to what she heard about him, it's not like everyone sees him as such.

And also the demon form was Torgrim's hallucination, not something specifically wanted by Thorkell, and no one else sees him as a demon.

Let's not talk about Stain, his shit ain't fear manipulation.

The feat in Chapter 169, tbh I don't know what to think about it lol. It's more of how she imagines him or something.

I saw the chapter, that's a flashback in which Thorkell's daughter thinks of his father.
She doesn't have memories of him and pictures him as a demon because she always heard that he was an intimidating person and his presence was like a storm.
It's how she imagines her father due to what she heard about him, it's not like everyone sees him as such.

And also the demon form was Torgrim's hallucination, not something specifically wanted by Thorkell, and no one else sees him as a demon.
Im actually leaning towards your point now because if he truly had Fear Aura when he cut lose in battle no one would fight him ever. We literally see fodder vikings throwing themselves at him with no issues even when he is serious.

Having a demonic aura and breaking someone's mind by simply approaching them is not Fear Manipulation, but Stain's feat is?
Again Stain doesn't have anything to do with this, go arguing about him in the proper thread.
And Thorkell didn't just approach him, it's not like he met Torgrim and asked him his opinion about the weather, there's an ton of context behind that scene.

And still, Thorkell's demonic aura is something that doesn't exist.
The first instance was how Torgrim's mind was picturing Thorkell in that moment, the second was just how his daughter imagines him after the stories she heard about him.

Thorkell's aura is the psychological pressure he can exert on others through his infamy, appearance and behavior, not a superpower.
If he actually had a super demonic aura everyone would see him as a monster and he would just turn every soldier into a empty husk, and everyone who doesn't would have a special psychic resistance.

Im actually leaning towards your point now because if he truly had Fear Aura when he cut lose in battle no one would fight him ever. We literally see fodder vikings throwing themselves at him with no issues even when he is serious.
If Stain truly had Fear Aura, Iida wouldn't have attacked him, same thing applies.

Again Stain doesn't have anything to do with this, go arguing about him in the proper thread.
And Thorkell didn't just approach him, it's not like he met Torgrim and asked him his opinion about the weather, there's an ton of context behind that scene.
I'm using Stain because again, their Fear Manipulation feat is similiar.
Stain's Fear Manipulation feat also got ton of context behind him. Would they be as scared of him if they didn't know that it was the Hero Killer? No. Both feats got context behind it.

Yeah that might be true but again lets keep the discussion to Thorkell. You can't give someone an ability they don't have just because another profile incorrectly has it. I dont think Stain should have fear manip either.

For the umpteenth time, if you think that Stain's power isn't legit, then argue about it in the other thread you opened.
If something is wrong it doesn't automatically makes correct another wrong thing.

And fear manipulation isn't argued anyway, that should be given only to those who can impose fear on others with supernatural means like magic or psychic power, not presence or behavior alone, that's a form of social influencing.

And it's not just a matter of fodder vikings, it would happen to everyone who stands in Thorkell's presence, sees him angry or fights with him.
Thorkell was also pretty chill compared to other occasions in which he was mad angry, but he didn't make everyone's mind explode.
Otherwise we want to argue that Thorfinn, Askeladd, Canute, Floki and many other unnamed people have resistance to it.

Right.
That's why both should have Social Influencing instead, no? I'm confused as to whether you think the feat of him breaking someone's mind is that or Aura Manipulation.
Aura manipulation isn't true anyway because you have to prove that it's an actual aura and not the influence, good or negative, you have on others for a series of non-supernatural reasons.

I don't know Stain and I can't talk about what he should have or not.

The feat of breaking someone's mind is half legit, because Thorkell can indeed scare certain people, but he can't destroy everyone's mind.
Thorkell himself didn't want to make Torgrim a potato, he even says that.

I'm pretty sure me and Saman agreed on that it's "Limited Social Influencing" until your comment came.
Only the name thing is limited social influencing, because it indeed influences people, but it only works inside the verse, so it's limited as a general power.
His ability to scare people is social influencing, it may be more or less effective, but it is still something Thorkell does.
Social influencing itself isn't something that works by default, since it's not a supernatural power, it depends on the skill of the user, on the opponent and on many other factors.

What I'm against is writing on the profile that Thorkell can shatter your mind just by staring at you and his sole presence causes everyone to see him as a demon, which isn't true because he isn't Cthulhu and there are no evidences of those things.

And Torgrim's mind broke due to his own insufficient mental fortitude, as many other characters don't end like him and Thorkell himself didn't intend of doing that, as you can see in the scan.
And it is also an extreme case of PTSD, nothing unearthly.

I really don't even think being good at intimidating people thing is social influencing either.

Social Influencing is ones ability to manipulate other characters using some form of charm. This has several uses in the form of manipulation. Whether it be to manipulate how an opponent fights, thinks, or to get info from them that the user would want or need. This can be used in a number of ways via their looks, natural charm, or their way of speaking.

No where on the page does it indicate that it would be.

It is generally used in some profiles as a way to indicate the ability of someone to induce fear but without using supernatural powers.
There were some threads about it and the fear manipulation page was modified accordingly to the issue.

Fear Manipulation, otherwise known as Fear Inducement is the ability in which to inflict a level of "fear" on the target using supernatural means. Depending on the severity of the fear, the user can use this to manipulate the target, incapacitate them or simply drive them insane.

It should be noted simply terrorizing the opponent either by authority, strength or demeanour only would qualify as Social Influencing, as Fear Manipulation would allow the user to inflict fear regardless of these factors.

I think that the social influencing page should be expanded by referencing this thing.

The way it's worded on his profile at the moment is incorrect. It should say something like 'is extremely adept at Terrorising his opponents such as his fight with Thorgrim'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back