• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Prime Rayleigh

Is "Prime" Rayleigh a thing in verse? I know Prime Whitebeard is a thing and is talked about by characters in verse but since I don't know to much about One Piece as a whole I wanted to know if the characters even talked about Rayleigh's "Prime"?

Is "Prime" Rayleigh a thing in verse? I know Prime Whitebeard is a thing and is talked about by characters in verse but since I don't know to much about One Piece as a whole I wanted to know if the characters even talked about Rayleigh's "Prime"?
It's implied that ever since Roger was executed, "old" Rayleigh never touched his sword until the straw hats were in danger and remarked "it's been a while since I touched a sword"

Old Rayleigh apparently has stamina issues, whereas Prime Rayleigh can fight alongside Roger's pirates against the Whitebeard's pirates for three days

Is there really enough of a difference or a need to necessitate a key that is just "somewhat better by an unknown degree than his old self"?

Don't we also treat the old characters as being no weaker than their prime versions with the exception of things like stamina? Meaning, the only difference here would be that Rayleigh's stamina is much higher.

Though at the same time, characters such as Sengoku and Garp have a prime key, so like, if they get one, no reason Rayleigh shouldn't as well.

Last edited:
I agree with this, for his ap justification we can also mention that he's confident in defeating Oden, keeping in mind he has the ability to sense how powerful people are with his observation haki.

That doesn't prove what you said at all
  • That's Rayleigh + Scopper 2v1ing Oden
  • I don't recall there being any evidence that Rayleigh in his youth can sense the strength of things with his CoO, that's an Old Rayleigh feat.
  • Nowhere does Rayleigh express confidence that he's able to beat Oden, all that is implied is that they're able to fight him, which is obvious given that they're both 6-B.
  • It's unclear if Rayleigh is able to precisely see how strong someone is with it, he was able to tell how many animals were stronger than Luffy roughly, but it's not like he saw that Luffy was a 10 and they were a 50 like a Dragon Ball scouter for example.

That doesn't prove what you said at all
  • That's Rayleigh + Scopper 2v1ing Oden
  • I don't recall there being any evidence that Rayleigh in his youth can sense the strength of things with his CoO, that's an Old Rayleigh feat.
  • Nowhere does Rayleigh express confidence that he's able to beat Oden, all that is implied is that they're able to fight him, which is obvious given that they're both 6-B.
  • It's unclear if Rayleigh is able to precisely see how strong someone is with it, he was able to tell how many animals were stronger than Luffy roughly, but it's not like he saw that Luffy was a 10 and they were a 50 like a Dragon Ball scouter for example.
Scopper has no feats, unless we count the anime where he continually fought Oden as an equal.

This literally happened a year before they found one piece and the Roger pirates retired, Rayleigh at this point was already in his 50's. It's very unlikely he picked up this ability in retirement where he didn't fight anymore.

"Should we nip this in the bud Rayleigh" "I think so" is confidence.

He doesn't need too.

Scopper has no feats, unless we count the anime where he continually fought Oden as an equal.

This literally happened a year before they found one piece and the Roger pirates retired, Rayleigh at this point was already in his 50's. It's very unlikely he picked up this ability in retirement where he didn't fight anymore.

"Should we nip this in the bud Rayleigh" "I think so" is confidence.

He doesn't need too.
Scopper having no feats is just all the more reason to dismiss this, for all we know, he's literally equal to Rayleigh.

20+ years before Rayleigh actually demonstrated that specific ability of CoO, you need to prove he's able to do it back then, and I don't recall any evidence suggesting he can.

Confidence in maybe being able to beat him with Scoppers help, to me it seems like he's confident in being able to fight him, nothing more.

He does because they're relative by default, if all he can see is the rough strength of someone then all he'd be able to see is that him and Oden are somewhat relative.

20+ years before Rayleigh actually demonstrated that specific ability of CoO, you need to prove he's able to do it back then, and I don't recall any evidence suggesting he can.
Using this logic then prime Rayleigh key should have no haki listed whatsoever because he could have learned it all in retirement, Rayleigh himself says the true advancements of haki come in battle yet we're supposed to believe he learned it while he was retired and didn't fight whatsoever.

Using this logic the prime Rayleigh key should have no haki listed whatsoever because he could have learned it all in retirement, Rayleigh himself says the true advancements of haki come in battle yet we're supposed to believe he learned it while he was retired and didn't fight whatsoever.
Rayleigh was referring to the higher levels of Haki and how ones Haki grows most quickly in battle, that isn't to say he couldn't have learned the ability to sense someones strength during the 20+ years after his crews disbandment though.

Rayleigh was referring to the higher levels of Haki and how ones Haki grows most quickly in battle, that isn't to say he couldn't have learned the ability to sense someones strength during the 20+ years after his crews disbandment though.
Fair enough, but if we're going to scrutinize Rayleigh back then having a basic application of observation haki then what proof is there he had any haki back then at all?

Fair enough, but if we're going to scrutinize Rayleigh back then having a basic application of observation haki then what proof is there he had any haki back then at all?
Well I mean, all this suggests to me is that Rayleigh's prime is too vague to have a key and we should wait for more information, because you're right, there's not really any evidence that he had Adv CoA back then either for example.

A few notes:

Oden had not reached anywhere near his peak at that point, and Gaban was able to match him during a prolonged fight right afterwards in the anime.

Rayleigh mentioned that he was not near his own old peak while fighting Kizaru.

It is left unclear to what degree old age affects the fighting prowess of characters in this series. Oda has mentioned and shown that it isn't nearly as much as in the real world, but I do not think that it is completely negligible either.

Faster than his old self.
As strong as, if not stronger then, his old self.
Better stamina.
Etc
This does not deserve a seperate key.

If we are ready to accept that translation that said "old characters do not get weaker" as fraud then we might as well apply Garp's statement about losing half his strength. Rayleigh is the same age as Garp and he is inactive as well so at least 2x seems more accurate and worthy of a whole other key instead of what @KingTempest proposed.

Too Vague?
Scopper having no feats is just all the more reason to dismiss this, for all we know, he's literally equal to Rayleigh.

Confidence in maybe being able to beat him with Scoppers help, to me it seems like he's confident in being able to fight him, nothing more.

He does because they're relative by default, if all he can see is the rough strength of someone then all he'd be able to see is that him and Oden are somewhat relative.
This is false.

Usopp had an incredible haki growth in battle, and it was the most basic one.
Luffy had an incredible growth in haki during Marineford, and it was the most basic one.

This is headcanon. There is a thing of more potent haki instead of higher levels of Haki.

And if Rayleigh hadn't trained at all, there's no reason for him to know Haki. Busoshoku and Kenbunshoku requires training, and if he hasn't done anything in the past 20+ years, that means that his haki has stayed stagnant if not worsened.
This does not deserve a seperate key.
Most of the god tiers with separate keys follow the same exact criteria.
If we are ready to accept that translation that said "old characters do not get weaker" as fraud then we might as well apply Garp's statement about losing half his strength.
Where did he ever say he lost half of his strength?
Rayleigh is the same age as Garp and he is inactive as well so at least 2x seems more accurate and worthy of a whole other key instead of what @KingTempest proposed.
We don't powerscale weaknesses because of age.
Saying they're the same age so they get the same weakness is false and baseless.

And who in the hell debunked/canceled/shut down that SBS?

If you're pointing out how bad the other profiles are I agree.
Then I don't agree.
Pre-TS when he was attacking the Sunny.
Reread it 8 times and it doesn't say in any official translation that he got "half as weak".
Lol you creating this thread disagrees with that.
You make actually no sense at all.
I asked for a thread to give him a new key with better stamina, less weaknesses, faster than him self, and at least as strong as his old self, and you're telling me that I'm implying I want Rayleigh half as weak as his prime self?

At least as strong ≠ scales above. I've never even said the 2 words "Scales above" in this thread.

As strong is based on the fact that the sbs said he's as strong as his old self.
At least is based on if Rayleigh's statements possibly say he's stronger.

Please read the points.

Too Vague?

This is false.

Usopp had an incredible haki growth in battle, and it was the most basic one.
Luffy had an incredible growth in haki during Marineford, and it was the most basic one.

This is headcanon. There is a thing of more potent haki instead of higher levels of Haki.

And if Rayleigh hadn't trained at all, there's no reason for him to know Haki. Busoshoku and Kenbunshoku requires training, and if he hasn't done anything in the past 20+ years, that means that his haki has stayed stagnant if not worsened.
Show me a statement saying Rayleigh never trained within the 20+ years after his crews disbandment please, because I really don't remember such a thing ever being said.

You can't prove that "prime" Rayleigh was able to sense the strength level of people nor can you prove he was able to use Adv CoA, simply because he's only ever demonstrated these as an old man.

Also my other point still stands, Rayleigh was going to fight Oden alongside Scopper in a 2v1, so no, his AP justification shouldn't be scaling directly to Oden due to "being confident in being able to defeat Oden".

There are ways to present one's points while being less confrontational about it...

Please stop trying to have your cake and eat it too. It is upseting.
Please stop trying to misinterpret my words. It is upsetting.
Show me a statement saying Rayleigh never trained within the 20+ years after his crews disbandment please, because I really don't remember such a thing ever being said.
The Roger Pirates disbanded 25 years prior to the current timeline via the vivre cards. That's when he retired.
Vivre card states this.
かつてロジャーの傍らに立ち、〝冥王〟と恐れられた男レイリー。やがて世界の全てを知り、盟友の死を経た彼は、次代を担う若き力の台頭を待ちシャボンディ諸島での長き隠道生活に入ったそして時は来た。
In the past, Rayleigh stood by Roger's side and was feared as the "Dark Lord". In the end, he knew everything about the world, and after the death of his ally, he entered a long life of seclusion in the Sabaody Archipelago, waiting for the rise of a young force to lead the next generation.
We know damn well he doesn't train in Sabaody, all he did in Sabaody was coat ships.

You have no proof this 50+ year old man trained. When he wanted to train, he could've swam to Rusukaina and trained there, but it's stated he stayed there.
You can't prove that "prime" Rayleigh was able to sense the strength level of people nor can you prove he was able to use Adv CoA, simply because he's only ever demonstrated these as an old man.
I have to prove that the best version of a character can do things that the older and more stagnant version of a character can do? Why do you think we call him PRIME Rayleigh?

Heck you haven't even proven he couldn't.
Also my other point still stands, Rayleigh was going to fight Oden alongside Scopper in a 2v1, so no, his AP justification shouldn't be scaling directly to Oden due to "being confident in being able to defeat Oden".
You can say that to Eminiteable and the others, not me. I wasn't the one who said that.

Back