• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two Mario Low 2-C threads, I need some popcorn for this shit
ba2b907e1c797f37f54e3ffa0823587c.png

We can use the American guide, it doesn't contradict the game at all, doesn't alter the story, it's by nintendo themselves and nintendo even uses american products in Mario continuity

"Nintendo Power is a video game news and strategy podcast from nintendo of America, which had originated in August 1988 as Nintendo's official print magazine for North America. The magazine's publication was initially done monthly by Nintendo of America"

And it doesn't matter if it's from nintendo of America,cuz in fact
Peach's name was Japan only before. Here, she was called Toadstool. Both versions however use both names.
Bowser's name was American only. In Japan, he was called Koopa. Now both names can be used.
Pauline (aka the American name) was originally named the lady/beautiful girl in Japan but yet the Japanese versions of recent mario sports games use her American name

I feel the Name change argument is flawed, in the end a characters name is more then just a lore, it’s a brand that needs recognizability and consistency, and a brand localization like a character name is usually made from the very top of the company that’s checked over by all parties involved including Nintendo of Japan, of course there going to keep Bowser’s name In America Bowser, trying to change it back to Koopa would only cause more confusion to the brand

by comparison, Nintendo Power wasn’t made by higher ups or checked by The actual writers of the game, they got some Interns to play a game and then write a article about it with maybe some fact checker hired at best, I heavily doubt that any Nintendo of Japan member has even met most of the people who did such Nintendo Power Articles, specially in the 80’s and 90’s where Contact would probably take weeks to get through and they needed to keep up with the schedule

Plus, I just feel like accepting Name changes being brought over automatically = the American Versions are reliable is a flawed philosophy on canon analysis general, it’s like saying that Since the Newest DBS Movie has the English Spelling for Broly in the title instead of Broli, that means Bardock creating the Power Ball is also reliable, or that Because Sometimes Toho Uses the name Godzilla along with Gojira means the American Versions and there edits are also reliable

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there was a whole breakdown on Nintendo power being usable at one point when it was discussed in reference to the legend of Zelda.

Specifically the old justifications for majora

I'm pretty sure there was a whole breakdown on Nintendo power being usable at one point when it was discussed in reference to the legend of Zelda.

Specifically the old justifications for majora
Well, I’d still say if the name change argument is used it be flawed IMO, but I’m open to it being fine

in general for any verse I don’t really like using English Guides as primary evidence, so I wouldn’t accept it for Sonic or Zelda ether

I feel the Name change argument is flawed, in the end a characters name is more then just a lore, it’s a brand that needs recognizability and consistency, and a brand localization like a character name is usually made from the very top of the company that’s checked over by all parties involved including Nintendo of Japan, of course there going to keep Bowser’s name In America Bowser, trying to change it back to Koopa would only cause more confusion to the brand

by comparison, Nintendo Power wasn’t made by higher ups or checked by The actual writers of the game, they got some Interns to play a game and then write a article about it with maybe some fact checker hired at best, I heavily doubt that any Nintendo of Japan member has even met most of the people who did such Nintendo Power Articles, specially in the 80’s and 90’s where Contact would probably take weeks to get through and they needed to keep up with the schedule

Plus, I just feel like accepting Name changes being brought over automatically = the American Versions are reliable is a flawed philosophy on canon analysis general, it’s like saying that Since the Newest DBS Movie has the English Spelling for Broly in the title instead of Broli, that means Bardock creating the Power Ball is also reliable, or that Because Sometimes Toho Uses the name Godzilla along with Gojira means the American Versions and there edits are also reliable
Ok doesn't negate the fact that nintendo uses American things in the continuity and it seems weird that the company does not tell the facts and story of the game to the other subsidiaries, idk why changing the character's name would be less than a level's size for powerscaling proposes
And doesn't changing koopa's name to bowser and the lady to Pauline in Japan will cause confusion to the brand? (Broli and broly are literally the same name)
And there is smb2 usa
And Show me the contradictions in the guide, i'll wait, espacially since i sent the picture of the Japanese guide which is basically the same.

doesn't changing koopa's name to bowser and the lady to Pauline in Japan will cause confusion to the brand?
they didn’t change Koopa’s name in japan, in fact in a Japanese Direct they had to explain the Joke of Doug Bowswr with a blurb “in America he’s called bowser”, in America, Bowser has been called that since the manual for Mario 1

I don’t see where it says her Name was originally Lady in japan, in fact the Mario wiki cited a English Back Flyer for her original name
DKJ_Arcade_Flyer_Reverse.jpg

Pauline was never called "Pauline" in japan, she was originally called the lady/beautiful girl.
Seems she was called that Everywhere looking at these pages about her, even America from the very image I showed, so they eventually just changed it everywhere too, unless you have something I’m missing

and even then, you can hardly make a brand out of “Lady”

Seems like more fair arguments, however I’m still unsure about the general argument that having a interview means everything was checked and 100% factual, sure Guides come with Concept art and some brief answers to some general questions, i don’t think that means the writers painfully went through everything (specially in a language they don’t understand in the first place) and fact checked it, and just in general Translated media (specially ones from the 80’s-90’s) just have contradictory officially licensed English Media

plus, wouldn’t it be more of a case by case thing too?, Foes the majora’s mask guide have in depth interviews or concept art?, just because one guide has them doesn’t mean every game they do goes through the same process

Why are we still going through the process of debating this. Dragon, I don't care if you personally dislike use them, if the wiki allows them then they're fair game until noted otherwise.

Why are we still going through the process of debating this. Dragon, I don't care if you personally dislike use them, if the wiki allows them then they're fair game until noted otherwise.
I mean, I don’t control the wiki, doesn’t mean I can’t speak my mind about it, and like I said I’m open to changing my mind, I would just like the full picture

Seems she was called that Everywhere looking at these pages about her, even America from the very image I showed, so they eventually just changed it everywhere too, unless you have something I’m missing

and even then, you can hardly make a brand out of “Lady”

Seems like more fair arguments, however I’m still unsure about the general argument that having a interview means everything was checked and 100% factual, sure Guides come with Concept art and some brief answers to some general questions, i don’t think that means the writers painfully went through everything (specially in a language they don’t understand in the first place) and fact checked it, and just in general Translated media (specially ones from the 80’s-90’s) just have contradictory officially licensed English Media

plus, wouldn’t it be more of a case by case thing too?, Foes the majora’s mask guide have in depth interviews or concept art?, just because one guide has them doesn’t mean every game they do goes through the same process
refer to the part kep put in regards to the seal specifically.

refer to the part kep put in regards to the seal specifically.
Pretty much every media under the sun would go through the same thing, and hell “Nintendo Seal of Quality” is often just given to downright bad games, and I really doubt Nintendo would be such sticklers for lore considering there Philosophy for stories in games

It derails the thread and makes unnecessary debates needing to happen.
The Thread is about Nintendo Power Statements and has arguments for why they should be used listed, I found them flawed, I think I’m allowed to ask questions, if every staff members just made a thread on why Mario is Building level would you then not be able to talk back?

but hey if I’m derailing I would at least like a mod to inform me

The simple argument is that we allow them to begin with, it's a miracle we even have reasonings to even use them outside of the fact that the wiki allows it irregardless.

The simple argument is that we allow them to begin with, it's a miracle we even have reasonings to even use them outside of the fact that the wiki allows it irregardless.
Plenty of things the Wiki just “Uses” has been turned back if there is something faulty about it, I feel I have the right to question it’s use for at least the fact I won’t be confused in the future, I mean if it’s so Blatant it should be simple to explain I assume

Again, this derails the thread more and more, I am not continuing this part. The guides are accepted for the rules, thus all that is left is approval for if they meet the universal size standards.

I personally agree with all this, and if it is true that the Japanese translations don't really change anything then I don't see a problem, especially if these feats are more common than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back