• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Power Sealing and Power Nullification

PhantomØ4

He/Him
Should an ability that seals away one's power and abilities be listed as both sealing and power null? Or are they considered completely different things?

How is power sealing and power null different at all Antonio

Sealing a person's abilities to stop them from using it and nullifying their abilities are the same thing

That's basic.

Just cuz powers have the same effects doesn't mean they are the same, at the moment of determinating resistances the mechanics is what really matter (i.e, someone with resistance to sealing would avoid their powers being sealed, but it do not grant resistance to power cancellation).

That's what the "same effect different mechanics" means.

"They stop you from using your powers" (the effect), but the reason why is different.

One is sealing the powers, meaning you cannot reach your powers. The other is preventing their usage.

So i guess for simplicity it can be thought as "You can steal a car or break it down, the result will still be, the dude won't be able to use the car to go to work" but what they do is different.

Antoniofer said:
Just cuz powers have the same effects doesn't mean they are the same, at the moment of determinating resistances the mechanics is what really matter (i.e, someone with resistance to sealing would avoid their powers being sealed, but it do not grant resistance to power cancellation).
You just said power cancellation is apparently sealing though, so what's power sealing and what's power null?

Firephoenixearl said:
That's what the "same effect different mechanics" means.

"They stop you from using your powers" (the effect), but the reason why is different.

One is sealing the powers, meaning you cannot reach your powers. The other is preventing their usage.

So i guess for simplicity it can be thought as "You can steal a car or break it down, the result will still be, the dude won't be able to use the car to go to work" but what they do is different.
You can't use your powers if you can't reach them, so how does that make it different?

Schnee One said:
Antoniofer said:
You just said power cancellation is apparently sealing though, so what's power sealing and what's power null?
Wdym?...he said:

Resistance to power sealing doesn't mean resistance to power null.

Effect-wise they are the same, both powers prevent certain power to be used, but casual-wise they are different, it depends of how the power works.

So again what's the difference

Power null prevents you from using your powers. Power seal dies the same thing no?

The difference is that one "bind" the power to somewhere preventing it from doing something, the other unmade the power to nothingness.

So basically, power seal shuts down your abilities forever, while null briefly nullifies them

How is that?

Schnee One said:
So basically, power seal shuts down your abilities forever, while null briefly nullifies them
How is that?
It's not about time. It's about the way. A seal works by sealing the powers, so basically making you stop having access to your powers. A null works by invalidating the powers themselves (generally speaking).

If it invalidates the powers themselves, you would not be able to use them regardless of time.

It can invalidate them for a long time, for a short period of time, doesn't matter. It's still different from making you unable to access your powers (which is what power sealing would generally acomplish).

I think we are overcomplicating this. Two abilities with the same effect. At the end of the day, it's simply a difference in terms.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I think we are overcomplicating this. Two abilities with the same effect. At the end of the day, it's simply a difference in terms.
Yes, which matters in the resistance departament.

Oblivion Of The Endless said:
If its sealing based powernull, then you'd need resistance to sealing to counter, rather than just resistance to powernull
Does it have to be stated to be sealing?

Back