• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Potential Wolverine buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayewale

He/Him
Fights against Mr.Fantastic, a High 7-A.

Tanks an optic blast from Cyclops. There are several instances of this happening, but this is the only one I could remember offhand. 7-A blast btw.

Seriously harms ghost rider twice. And Ghost Rider is 7-A. Hurting Namor is an outlier for him though.

***** up with Venom. Venom isn't 7-A, but is still higher than Wolvie.

Puts up a good fight versus Psylocke, with her 7-B psionic powers.

Let's not start to mention the fights he's had with Deadpool's weapons, which are all 8-C. And let's not even begi with the massive outliers that are Namor/Hulk. His 9-C key comes mostly from people like Captain America, who has fought against people higher than his tiers wayyy more times than I can count.

So, with all this is mind, I propose that Wolverine should either be:

A 7-A, based on his previous feats.

Or, if that is considered too powerful, 8-C based on numerous fights with Venom and Deadpool.

Yeah, thanks for the extra feats. Perhaps I should notify some knowledgeable Marvel members?

There is no 9-C Wolvie.

Ghost Rider is an inconsistent character to rate off of, as Ghostie can fight 9-As to 2-Cs depending on the writer.

Fighting a High 7-A doesn't make you a 7-A. Neither does a 7-B, or 8-C. You're yourself proving the inconsistentcy of your proposed rating

Wolverine is a stone wall and glass cannon in the wiki, as his regular physicals compare to street tiers, but due to his adamantium skeleton, he can withstand blunt force hits from and damage far higher tiers.

Not to mention Wolvie is far inferior to Cyclops in terms of firepower.

Venom ones are outliers I reckon, as Venom himself is a Spider-Man villain, who is consistently superior to the Wolverine lot.

Another thing to note is that Wolvie has regen, which due to the lack of timescale, we cannot reliably judge whether he actually tanked the hits or simply regenerated from it.

Please refer to the Power-scaling Rules for Marvel and DC Comics for relevant information if required

Ghost Rider is incosistent, but for the rating I applied to him I was using the tier that he has on this wiki.

I didn't give a single rating: I provided two, because not all of his feats are consistent. What is consistent is that he is far about 9-C.

Wolvie being superior to Cyclops just isn't true because he has 4-B claws. How did you even come to that conclusion? If you mean in terms of energy projection-which Wolvie doesn't even have-then sure, why not.

The Venom one isn't an outlier when paired along with the Hiroshima Bomb and his showings against Cyclops.

As for his regen, in all of the examples posted above the timescale is pretty easy to judge; as a result, we cannot say that Wolverine is simply just using his regen to tank all of these hits.

You note that he can 'withstand blunt force hits from and damage far higher tiers'. Well, yes he can, did I ever state he didn't? I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove by saying that his adamantium skeleton gives him boosted durability.

Between his numerous Tier 8, 7 and even (outliers admittedly) 5 feats, it should be easy to say that even at the very worst, Wolverine is above being 9-C. At the very least, we could say 'possibly 7-A' or 'possibly 5-B' based on his numerous showings versus Cyclops/Hulk and Namor respectively.

Zark is correct. Wolverine has a quite great degree of durability negation thanks to his claws, and can somehow wihstand 4-B level blunt impacts thanks to his adamantium skeleton.

Of course, the real reason for his enormous inconsistency is that the writers cheat a lot due to "rule of cool" and fan popularity. If Wolverine flesh started to explode in all directions from the slightest tap from the Hulk, and he would be far too weak to cut through the latter's incredibly durable flesh, he would quickly lose a lot of his appeal to the readers.

Okay, so for starters, I'd like to get it clear we use different set of rules in scaling Marvel and DC profiles in order to avoid comic inconsistencies.

If a comic character is known to be inconsistent in terms of his potrayals, and isn't in recurring, direct comparability with the other character it is supposedly being scaled to, we don't use that feat, unless it is a supporting one. If we start scaling everyone to everyone they've fought, we end up with 1-A everyone.

Nothing you stated implies even the two tiers you gave. You have a 7-A and High 8-C tier proposal, but except the Ghost Rider and Venom one respectively, and the rest are completely unrelated to said tiers. We're not gonna upgrade Wolvie based on two incidences of his power potrayal.

You were asking for a direct comparability to Wolverine from Cyclops' blasts, which is absolutely untrue, as Cyclops' blast are usually potrayed as far stronger than what Wolverine, hell, even most X-Men can survive. Cyclops' blasts are top tier X-Men arsenal.

Venom one is an outlier when that'll upgrade the Spider-Man gang to 7-A too.

If he has boosted durability and AP, then it makes sense for him to survive stuff higher than a normal 9-A would due to his durability condition, and as such it makes sense for him to survive such hits.

Again, I'm serious, read the Power-scaling Rules for Marvel and DC Comics. For upgrades this large, we need at least 100 of issues of consistency

But even with his inconsistencies I've already shown that he has consistent showings putting him above 9-C. And in all the examples shown, he's tanking the attacks without his adamantium skeleto; there's no panel above showing him regenerate (apart from the Hiroshima one I think).

As for your rule of cool thing, I mean I'm not about to disagree.

Ayewale said:
Between his numerous Tier 8, 7 and even (outliers admittedly) 5 feats, it should be easy to say that even at the very worst, Wolverine is above being 9-C. At the very least, we could say 'possibly 7-A' or 'possibly 5-B' based on his numerous showings versus Cyclops/Hulk and Namor respectively.

... have you seen the tiers at Wolverine's profile? He's 9-A as base, 4-B with his claws. We've already addressed the showcases against Namor and Hulk

I'm addressing Wolverine as a base. Your argument against Namor and Hulk were that they were outliers, but that's what I said as well, so I'm not really holding those two showcases in high merit.

Anyhow, I don't believe this to show consistent potrayal in the slightest, and is a random patchwork of confused tier ratings that only shows the inconsistency of the character.

I doubt whether anyone would find this collection of feats legitimate.

I agree with Zark. We should close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back