• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Potential new power: Concealment

Antoniofer

VS Battles
Retired

This was a power that was suggested (either directly or indirectly) some time ago, basically is the power to hide from abilities/powers that has the intention to detect others (be natural, like conventional senses, or supernatural form of detection, like telepathy or ki detection). This power is not Stealth Mastery, as that power is supposed to be the real life equivalent of this one (like hiding and being stealthy in a mundane way, something you expect from spies and ninjas), not Perception Manipulation, as this power do not manipulate no one's perception (although, through the use of perception manip, one may do the same, but resistance/immunities apply in that case).

I'm guessing Fiamma the Right is an example of a character with this power? If so, this looks good.

The Justification for the ability is sound and a lot of verses has used this, like for example, concealing your presence from enhance senses, like smell, using an ability.

I agree.

Ok, I can let you chose what would the main picture be, as well as the example users, before creating the page.

So a character would have this power and the resistances to the things that can't be used to detect them? I don't see the point.

The power is the resistance in a way, as it prevents those things from working.

Then it's redundant, we already have the resistance page with explanations on how to not wank it, we don't need a second way on how to resist things, and this one power would need to point out the scale of all the powers it can resist if one feels like writing that, when we otherwise do that with resistances writing it 1 by 1 with each power resisted. Again, I don't see the point in this. Was our Chain Manipulation page not enough?

Does the lack of an acknowledgment that those are false equivalences mean you guys don't see it that way or just that you felt like not bring it up?

Like Precognition is the Supernatural version of Analytical Prediction via intelligence.

Or like Mind Control is the Supernatural version of Empathic Manipulation or rather, Social Influencing

Analytical Prediction was just added to Precog, but yes

I think many DB characters can fall into this power as they can hide their KI, without being full resistance
Their Energy Manip should just say that they can do that. As it can and can't be a resistance it would be lazy to not point out what is going on in a profile and just roll with this power. Either DB characters and other characters could very well have their P&A or Notable Attacks & T. pointing out how how they can do that in both their Energy Manip and Concealment sections, or only 1 of those 2 at random and with no standards into which one to elaborate on, which will be a mess for all profiles.

And "without being full resistance" is misleading, they can't feel their power because it's not there, not because it's being resisted to being felt at all. The power being "inside one" doesn't matter as the sensing doesn't sense that, it's a weakness on their sensing/readings that should also be pointed out in profiles.

While the power should not be be a thing, Darth Sidious would be its best representative given that his ability to do so is brought up in every media he's in over and over again.

@Antvasima, is there a staff user you would like to get advice before creating any new power?
I do not know anybody in particular for this particular evaluation, but I think that it is a good idea for a page and should be uncontroversial to add.

I can ask some other high-ranking staff members for input help if you wish though.

I do not know which picture that should be added to the page. Suggestions are very appreciated.

Well, I just think that it is a distinctive power that isn't properly covered by our other power and abilities pages. That is all.

That leaves more questions than what it answers. Would for example Palpatine have all his resistances to powers used to sense him removed in favor of this new power? As it still those should stay and the new power should be added, other profiles will or could also have this covered twice on their P&A, were you aware of this? And were you aware that characters resisting being sensed in X ways will now no only be found at the botton of a profiles' P&A where the resistances go, but anywhere if only Concealment is writen? And were you also aware that if only Concealment is writen the profiles will have to somewhere (P&A or Notable Attacks or Techniques) have evidence to all the many other powers they may resist and the scale in which they do, all due to 1 power & while talking about only it? That instead of all of them being resisted traditionally by writing 1 power, why it's resisted, its scale, then another power, why it's resisted, its scale and so on. It all seems detrimental when thought and with 0 real benefits.

Although I admit that few forms of supernatural detection may be resisted (case-by-case), in true is that several times granting perception manip of simply resistance to x is not accurate enough; a character without scent or unable to produce sound is as "resistent" as an invisible character is "resistent" to being seen, and a character that can't be recorded my cameras can't be deemed as "resistent to technology manip". Naturally, character that were qualified as resistent will be changed to having this power instead, depending of the case.

nobody and several other anti-memetics users from SCP Foundation and Corvus Corax from Warhammer 40k are both other good examples of concealment users. Which of Gon's abilities are concealment btw?

Actually, not sure, it was suggested to me when I asked in Discord; but if there's a problem I can put Meleoron instead, he seems a more blatant example.

several times granting perception manip of simply resistance to x is not accurate enough; a character without scent or unable to produce sound is as "resistent" as an invisible character is "resistent" to being seen
Things like this are still very huge false equivalences, Invisibility is an extremely popular power and one would never add resistance to being seen due to it or look up the resistances of one character to find that.
and a character that can't be recorded my cameras can't be deemed as "resistent to technology manip".
Nor should they have this power based on that context alone, maybe they messed the tech of the cameras via Tech Manip, maybe the space between the character and the cameras was messed with via Reality Warping or other powers or maybe it was something in the character themselves. It can be all that and new we also have this new power to deal with and add in consideration, it's a mess.
Naturally, character that were qualified as resistent will be changed to having this power instead, depending of the case.
That will create a mess as pointed out before. "Depending of the case" are also standards that should have been set up before, not now on the run, this whole matter I believe seems being done incompetently.

Naturally, characters doesn't get power by indirectly performing vertain effects: characters wouldn't get Concealment (technology or similar) by using their tech manip or any other power to mess up with the cameras and not being recorded.

Back