• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
This came about due to the conversation on this thread: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/2158745

So the long and short of is that most of the profiles on the page boil down to basically being OCs/FCs due to not being given the blessing of the creator to use the character Slenderman.

This means that any characters not license would be deleted. Due to the majority having to be deleted I suggest the verse page be deleted. The pages that will stay due to being licensed would be Slender Man (2018 Film), Slenderman (Slender), and Slenderman (101 Amazing Slenderman Facts). MarbleHornets technically is its own thing, even having its own movie and comic coming out soon. The creators even state that The Operator (Marble Hornets) =/= Slenderma. MH could likely have its own verse page. Mark Slender is possible due to being more of a ripoff but very likely should be deleted.

Honestly not sure why we had a verse page in the first place. It doesn't seem like most of them were even connected by canon.

Anyway, was the original Slenderman thing really copyrighted?

The creator has stated that they were not copywrited by his own choice. To quote:

"while he is the character's creator, a third party holds the options to any adaptations into other media, including film and television"

The identity of this mysterious "third party" has not been made public

Plus, this guy has been VERY vigilant about striking down any copies with fire and fury. So we probably don't wanna piss him off.

Similarly to how the creator of Jeff the Killer (Not the creepypasta) shut down a fundraiser for a movie based on the character down almost before it began.

Him not striking it down means nothing about them being allowed to stay. Kishimoto knows both about AF amd Multiverse, and even allowed them to go on, we still can't make profiles for them.

They either are part of the copyright, and protected by it, or not.

Lol taking this as a "no one cares enough" which surprisingly happens alot. People said they would delete the conteptual entities from Folklore, never happened. People said they would delete a lot of mythology profiles, never happened. Probably a similar case here. Oh well.

I don't think it should matter. There are other fanworks here (Red versus Blue comes to mind) that stay because they're distinct enough from the original and have their own setting and story separate from their source works'.

These are all distinct enough from the licensed works; in some cases, what is established by the fan works is what the licensed works end up going with. The licensed works have no canon among them, either, and the Slenderman pages we do have are all from distinct settings, often with unique takes on the mythos and story.

So I think it's fine. It doesn't matter if it doesn't have Victor Surge's approval. We never ran on the assumption that they did.

Kinda confuses me why those are allowed and yet original creepypasta stories (Strictly going by the original story and other works by the same author) aren't allowed.

Just seems confusing due to the editing rules being occationally open to interpratation. Do wish I could create a profile using the original Slender Man mythos. I do have pdf for it and iirc it is linked on the slender or creepypasta wiki.

I do understand and agree with your veiw though. I just had made this thread do to other users think the profiles should be removed but they probably don't care enough I suppose.

@Prom I mean, the problem is that Red vs Blue is its own setting with its own characters. The same applies to any "fanwork" we use like the Yume Nikki fangames. But for most Slenderman-based work, they actually, genuinely use the Slenderman character, down to the name. It's not really comparable.

SCP isn't a "fan creation" since it isn't based on any copyrighted work, other than 173's appearance. It doesn't relate to what we're talking about here.

For one Santa is using feats from multiple songs and stories not created by a single person or myth. Also kinda waiting for someone to change the Loch Ness Monster's abilities.

As for fables and folklore, there should be no problem with it as long as they follow a single canon or story. The characters who don't follow this are Death, Father Time, and The Bogeyman which iirc people agreed to delete a long time ago. The Aesop's Fables and Grimm's Fairytales follow singular canons, as does the Gingerbread Man, and The Pied Piper. They follow more of a canon than the characters from many myth (Brought up here) . So I personally am fine with whatever, but if you delete profiles from Fables and Fairytales you should also delete a multitude of myth charaters for the same reasons even though the FAF actually follow canons unlike the myth profiles on the linked thread

Saikou The Lewd King said:
@Prom I mean, the problem is that Red vs Blue is its own setting with its own characters. The same applies to any "fanwork" we use like the Yume Nikki fangames. But for most Slenderman-based work, they actually, genuinely use the Slenderman character, down to the name. It's not really comparable.
That is a good point. It may be best to ask some more staff members to reply here.

The ones that are Slenderman in every way but name should stay. But dang. First Fact Book Chuck Norris (Who I'm currently fighting to bring back btw), and now Tier 2 Slenderman. Wow.

Well Windigo is actually clearly said to be Slenderman as the film it comes from is titled "Windigo: A Slenderman Movie", Slenderman from the 101 facts is from a lisenced book, same goes for the Slender Game version, the Creepypasta Collection verson, and the one from the new movie. The Operator and all of Marble Hornets is its own verse and the creators have said that though the operator's appearance is based on the slenderman character, they aren't the same character.

@Saikou

Are you willing to ask some more staff members to comment here?

Back