• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible help with "complex" explanations

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was making some profiles I remembered this

And then I thought in this:
Screenshot_20220311-2210342.png

Basically the idea is to add notes to simplify explanations, so you don't have to see the justification of 10 other profiles or even search on your own for a thread with the proper explanation. It will also cause things like this to be reduced

It is not difficult to use, a simple example is here

By the way, "Note" can be replaced by "Explanation" if it is more appropriate

Last edited:
Isn't this the reference template? Would it not clash with that?

Isn't this the reference template? Would it not clash with that?
No, Notes does not clash with References, they are different things
While I was making some profiles I remembered this

And then I thought of a ""solution"":
Screenshot_20220311-2210342.png

Basically the idea is to add notes to simplify explanations, so you don't have to see the justification of 10 other profiles or even search on your own for a thread with the proper explanation. It will also cause things like this to be reduced

It is not difficult to use, a simple example is here

By the way, "Note" can be replaced by "Explanation" if it is more appropriate
Yes of course I agree, this is a great idea

Very nice indeed. Should contact Ant so he can ping the other mods (this will likely have to be tackled as a staff thread, considering what it aims to apply).

Love it. Definitely gonna start using is myself if no one disagrees with it. This is useful for a lot of things.

Yeah I'm ok with this.

Although, coupled with the bullet point system, isn't this a little redundant?

My apologies, but I think that this would likely be too hard to implement in combination with our other current drastic wiki revision projects, including the reference sections, the scrollable bullet point powers and abilities lists, our new tier templates system, and replacing all Discord image links.

Maybe we can consider it after a year or so instead? The thread in question should be placed in our staff forum at that time though.

Well, this would be more of a matter of clarifying it's allowed, rather than doing a site-wide thing.

My apologies, but I think that this would likely be too hard to implement in combination with our other current drastic wiki revision projects, including the reference sections, the scrollable bullet point powers and abilities lists, our new tier templates system, and replacing all Discord image links.

Maybe we can consider it after a year or so instead? The thread in question should be placed in our staff forum at that time though.
Of those four things you listed, I thought that only the new Tier templates and the Discord image replacements are mandatory projects?

Adding Reference sections and updating the appearance of Power and Abilities both seem like optional projects, not wiki-wide projects.

Yes, but adding even more of these types of quite drastic changes at the moment seems like too much to keep in mind and adapt to at the same time for most of our members.

Again, I don't see why. Unlike references, no one is forced to do this. They can if they want to, but doesn't even need to be added to the standard format thing or whatever. Just an extra nice thing to use to provide additional context. Most wikis and stuff uses it.

Yeah, this is no different than References really, so it can easily be included like how references are being gradually added to profiles.

Okay. Do you know how to install this function in our wiki, Damage, and in which page should we place the instructions for how to use it?

A draft for an official explanation text would also be appreciated.

Okay. Do you know how to install this function in our wiki, Damage, and in which page should we place the instructions for how to use it?

A draft for an official explanation text would also be appreciated.

It doesn't require any installation; it's already working as you can see in Life of King's sandbox.

If we have a section anywhere at the moment for references explanations at the moment, then it would belong in there.

So somewhere within the following page then?

Where within it should this new explanation section and its text best be placed?

It seems good to me at least.

Should we place this explanation section in both the References and main Standard Format pages?

Thank you for the replies. I will add it then.

I have done so.

Is there anything left to do here, or should we close this thread?

Also, thank you to everybody else who helped out here, especially LIFE_OF_KING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back