• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Calc Stacking revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
This comes form this thread, but I thought I would make a thread here to have a more official debate about the proposal.

To explain what this is about: There are a few feats we accept, despite the fact one could think by the calc stacking page that we don't.

The good example for this would be feats were we use the a calculated parameter, since it's the same instance.

Say we, for example, calculate the speed of a bullet, by comparing its movement to lightning.

If then that very same bullet is 3 meters further behind dodged by a character, then we would allow using the calculated speed of the bullet to calculate the dodging speed.

Why? Because the speed can't have changed.

It's essentially for that same reason we allow pixel scaling over multiple steps: The size objects doesn't really change.

And that's essentially what this revision is about. If we know that some calculated parameter can't possibly have changed, using it in further calculation is probably ok.

That of course isn't supposed to mean that we can use a characters calculated dodging speed, to calc the speed of another character cause "he's serious so he would go top speed" or anything like that.

For clarification I think it's easiest if I just post my proposal.

My propsal is to replace the "Note that pixel scaling over several steps..." part of the Calc Stacking page with something like:

"However, parameters that are calculated in a first calculation can be accepted for use in a second calculation, if and only if they can not have changed between them. To provide a few examples:

• Pixel scaling over several steps is permitted, as long as the size of the scaled objects usually stays constant.
  • Using the calculated speed of a projectile to calculate the speed of a character dodging said projectile on the very same occasion is usually permitted, as long as the projectile wouldn't have changed its speed mid flight.
  • Using a reliable stated timeframe and reliably stated speed something travels during that timeframe one can calculate the distance travelled. Said distance can then usually be used for calculations. (Take heed that paths don't need to be straight and that speed reliably has to be constant)
  • Multipliers can be used under the conditions lined out on the multiplier page.
  • Using speed of characters or attacks calculated at other instances can't be used, as characters and attacks can vary in speed. This is the case regardless of whether the character is seriously trying to do his best or anything similar.
However, even for these parameters calc stacking is avoided as much as possible. That means that results taking less such steps are usually taken over results that rely on more calc stacking."

I would really like opinions on this, as calc stacking is a very delicate issue with extensive consequences.

I support the clarification on what constitutes as acceptable calc stacking and what does not, though I'm also interested to hear if anyone else has any problems with any of these listed examples or if they think there are any more examples that should be included.

I'm okay with this

I don't have much to offer so I'll wait for any contention, if it comes

This feels like something worthy of a highlight

I agree. This should probably be highlighted to get staff attention.

Isn't it better to ask some more calc group members to comment here via their message walls first?

I'd like to think we just use common sense as to what is and isn't abusing calc stacking. So I'm fine with this. Perfect example is my most recent calc, it calcs the size of a small bit of a giant robot to then get the size of the rest of it.

Mr. Bambu said:
I'd like to think we just use common sense as to what is and isn't abusing calc stacking. So I'm fine with this. Perfect example is my most recent calc, it calcs the size of a small bit of a giant robot to then get the size of the rest of it.
So what about your calc? Is it fine or calc stacking?

EDIT: NVM I'm dumb, the robot's size is consistent due to it being a game. Prolly is fine.

Well, I posted something in the old thread, and thb honest I don't really have much to say here aside of what I already said.

Regarding the five things that will be added:

We have been doing the stuff, that the OP addressed, for a long time now and adding some specific examples for future users to reference would be helpful for them and us in the long run, as some time ago I asked about the second link, in reference to calc stacking, to a friend who had been on this wiki for a longer period of time than me.

Furthermore, maybe adding one or two links there as examples, in the page and the new explanation itself, would also provide a better perspective for these rules(?).

So yeah, that.

So, given that the calc group members seem to have accepted this suggestion, should I also highlight this thread after first marking it as "staff only"? Or is this enough to apply the change?

Also, the following sentence preferably needs to be rewritten, so what is intended can be properly understood:

"However, parameters that are calculated in a first calculation can be accepted for use in a second calculation, if and only if they can not have changed between them."

I do not know. It depends on what DontTalkDT intended.

Crimson Azoth said:
Just adding my own weight of support behind this. Also:
"Only parameters that are consistent between calculations can be re-purposed"

How does that sound?
I agree with this however there needs to be a clarification which parameters can be consideret consistent

I think that this seems like enough well-informed approval to apply this change.

You can inform DontTalkDT that this can be applied via his message wall.

Ok, so generally I take this as accepted.

All left is clarifying that one sentence. What Crimzon Azoth proposes goes in the right direction, but we should maybe be more clear what we mean with consistent so that it's not confused with something in the direction of consistent feats vs inconsistent feats.

I think the examples do a lot to explain the meaning, but maybe instead of "are consistent" we could say something like "can't change".

@DontTalkDT

That solution is probably fine.

I have applied the change.

Yes. Thank you for the help.

Should we close this thread then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back