• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Popular series that you just don't get.

@BANLK

I have in fact watched Barakamon and I loved it.

I also couldn't get into Touhou and other Bullet Hell Shooters due to how bad my reflexes are.

Fairy Tail- Infinite Nakama power up, nearly zero tension in fights since you know what's going to happen (nakama speech and victory). It's so bad that I couldn't watch it even after trying my best. ******** jokes which ruin serious moments. Too bad cause it actually has a plot but the worst execution possible

Hellsing Ultimate- I was told it was one of the best horror anime. I found the dialogues extremely cheesy and the rhetorics nonsensical. I guess people who prefer war anime might enjoy it. Not my cake.

Sword Art Online- If cliche was a genre this would be the best example.

Fate Zero- I found it pretty boring, never found what was so hype about it.

Pokemon - Don't get me wrong, I love some of the pokemon themselves, like Lucario, Arceus, and Groudon. But I just don't understand the hype for the anime and the games. Each game uses the same worn-out formula and Ash can never seem to end off a season with a win. I think it has the same problem as FT. It was good at first, but over time it needed other things to keep its fanbase and reel in more people. However, it did not rely on fanservice. It instead used new, more redundant pokemon and kind of silly evolutions to keep it going.

Gravity Falls - I don't know why everyone thinks this is so good. I mean the mystery elements of the show were good, but I feel like it's kind of redundant as they were going to explain the mystery as the show went on anyway, so there was no point in all the conspiracy theories that people kept posting online.

The Fate Series - Nice animation. Can't seem to keep up with the story.

Reppuzan said:
The Asterisk War...

...competed...

Chivalry of a Failed Knight
Booker t laughing meme

Shiny Magical Girl said:
WHOA, I never noticed that Kenji is possibly Building level, haha. Maybe he should fight Tsugumi from Nisekoi, seeing as she's also a building level slice of life character
I second this, but Kenji is very likely to lose since you know... women.

Reppuzan said:
Gakkou Gurashi
B-bu-but... zombies...

585790384d04265c100dac5a2acf92b7

Sir Ovens said:
Pokemon -
I think the vast majority of adult viewers agree that pokemon anime is terrible and extremely repetitive. In fact I have barely seen anybody hyping the anime. The games are up for debate however.

@Joseph

Perhaps, but some of the moments were genuinely great. I actually liked most of the movies. Plus the soundtrack and score remain excellent across the board.

@Gemmy

I had to choose between watching Chivalry and Asterisk Wars. Having read the first few chapters of Chivalry's manga first, I decided to watch Chivalry. Took a glance at Asterisk Wars, then went back to Chivalry. Haven't gotten past the anime though.

Unfortunately, Gakkou Gurashi remains a little too sad for my tastes, given that I immediately predicted that it would be a psychological horror ala Madoka (and was proven correct as the world started coming apart). That said, I love the opening,(the orchestral cover was great too), and it blends well with Himouto Umaru Chan's (my younger brother's favorite) opening as part of a guitar cover.

Hellspawn Barbarian said:
Monogatari Series: All talk, so much talking that you have to pause each second of episode to read the subs they talk so much that you can't even watch the main screen for 1 sec. Dropped at episode 3.
There is more, but lazy to explain..
Maybe this can bring your interest back in the series ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-z7-do7Zu0

Steven Universe: The forced agendas, the ugly character designs that are more often than not off-model, the irritatingly horrid performance by Garnet's voice actress. (The woman can't show emotion to save her life.), and the very rushed conclusions to plotlines like the Cluster or the homeworld gems coming to Earth only to be defeated in a single episode. I do enjoy the interesting world built and the deeper lore, but whenever something big is built up, it severely disappoints. Some of the songs are okay though.

Fairy Tail and SAO: Both for obvious reasons.

Well, in all fairness, that's just the way Garnet was made to be portrayed. Also, it's not not really a fighting series, it's more like a slice of life kind of thing.

One Piece - I dropped it after a while years ago and haven't gone back to it since. I understand that it's a popular series that appeals to millions of people but it just didn't appeal to me personally. I do like some of the characters though. I don't dislike the manga but I straight up dislike the anime.

Sword Art Online - I think reasons to dislike this series have been covered enough up above.

Monogatari series - didn't like the animation style, the characters, the story. I just do not like the Monogatari series.

To Love Ru and Prisma Illya - how these series ridden with paedophile fanservice are even popular I just don't understand. Nice job Japan.

Game of Thrones - dropped it after two seasons and haven't gone back to it since. Seemed mostly like softcore **** with gore and some plot thrown in rather than the other way around. Just did not like the series.

Soldier Blue said:
To Love Ru and Prisma Illya - how these series ridden with paedophile fanservice are even popular I just don't understand. Nice job Japa.
Actually, Darkness is the one that has just ridiculous fanservice. To Love-Ru at least have more funny moments and followed a nice history. Darkness is just boring hentai

Prisma Illya stopped being pedobait at 3rei and went full-blown Heaven's Feel on us.

Illya is the MC, gets only about 3 pages worth of appearance in the latest chapter.

Soldier Blue said:
Prisma Illya
Its popular because yuri. Yuri sells, apparently. Most (Not all, I don't want to generalize and potentially offend people) anime fans are guys, and most (Again not all) guys anime fans love two girls doing... stuff.

Prisma Illya only survived the second season because it has Fate/ on it's name, imo. Then Drei happened, and it made up for all of the previous fanservice BS.

Also, i never really understood why some people dislike a series strictly because of fanservice. Those scenes are usually irrelevant to the characters and the plot, and you can totally just skip them.

As for me... Dragonballs & TTGL.

• Dragonballs: For the love of me, I don't understand how it's so popular. I understand that it is nostalgic and classic, but that doesn't hide the fact the series itself is... meh. The plot itself is nearly non-existent the moment it hit Saiyan Saga, where we got from Island level martial artists to Planet busters, the dragonballs themselves becoming less and less relevant and only used as plot device. The villains are classic, yes, especially Frieza, but that doesn't change the fact that the series is about a guy that constantly gets a power-jump and wins. I may even call the show responsible for the cliche "the primary protagonist always wins no matter how dire the situation" we see in shounen nowadays. And let's not mention the fanbase (not on this site, you are all civil and nice people :>)
  • TTGL: Same case as DB, the gap for power jump is so ridiculous I find it unfunny, uncool and cliche. Badass, yes, but let's admit it, this is like DB but with mecha, where you will see ridiculous jump in power because protagonist power. And the fact that the main characters just give a middle finger to common sense and pull power out of their asses "We win because spiral powah, who the hell do you think we are!?" don't appeal to me.
In short, both shows don't appeal to me because I dislike protagonist powers where you get a ridiculous power-jump. And that's saying a lot, cause I lose interest in Bleach as well due to convenient hax pulled out the last minute.

As for One Piece, I'm neutral at first, but slowly starting to dislike it. The lore is consistent, with Void Century and stuff, but the main crew has very little connection to it, except maybe Robin and Franky. And I dislike idiot heroes like Luffy.

As for FT, I don't need to explain cause everyone else has already stated the obvious

One Piece, don't like the animation.

One Punch Man. Seriously? It really isn't all that good, I tried to get into it but wasn't interested.

Dragon Ball Z: Yeah, not getting what's so great about i.

Byakushiki Setsura said:
  • TTGL: Same case as DB, the gap for power jump is so ridiculous I find it unfunny, uncool and cliche. Badass, yes, but let's admit it, this is like DB but with mecha, where you will see ridiculous jump in power because protagonist power. And the fact that the main characters just give a middle finger to common sense and pull power out of their asses "We win because spiral powah, who the hell do you think we are!?" don't appeal to me.
In short, both shows don't appeal to me because I dislike protagonist powers where you get a ridiculous power-jump. And that's saying a lot, cause I lose interest in Bleach as well due to convenient hax pulled out the last minute.
Yeah, I can agree with you on your assessment on TTGL. But the reason why I still love it despite that is because its a love letter to the mecha series of old. Mecha is like, my favorite genre of anime next to Magical girl anime! So I embrace it because of nostalgia hehe.

Evangelion on the other hand, is a series I have yet to try. Is it good? I know its also Gainax, like TTGL.

@Shiny

I've only watched a couple of episodes of the original anime myself, but I'd call it an acquired taste. It has a lot of cliches and Shinji takes some time to get used to, but ultimately it's a rewarding and thought provoking, if sometimes confusing experience. Also, expect a LOT of references to Biblical figures.

Reppuzan said:
I've only watched a couple of episodes of the original anime myself, but I'd call it an acquired taste. It has a lot of cliches and Shinji takes some time to get used to, but ultimately it's a rewarding and thought provoking, if sometimes confusing experience. Also, expect a LOT of references to Biblical figures.
Hmm, sounds interesting already! I'll give it a go when I find the time. I went pass Shirou, so maybe I can handle Shinji, hehe.

Evangelio - I get it, it's a "good series" that came in the right moment with the right audience, but it's not THAT great as everybody says. It has too many phycological themes, the protagonist has way too many phycological problems.

As i said it's a "good series", but not so much to be labeled a one of the most greatest series (Not even to be watched more than 1 time). Even worse is the way that Gainax is milking the series.

KamiYasha said:
Evangelio - I get it, it's a "good series" that came in the right moment with the right audience, but it's not THAT great as everybody says. It has too many phycological themes, the protagonist has way too many phycological problems.

As i said it's a "good series", but not so much to be labeled a one of the most greatest series (Not even to be watched more than 1 time). Even worse is the way that Gainax is milking the series.
SHIKI GET IN THE ROBOT

pro tag too whimpy -_-

well that would be (somewhat) better just can't imagine him with his underpants being shown XP (can't open fanfiction.net :/)

All I can say about Evangelion is that I watched all three of the movies when I was 12. They are not movies you should watch when you're that young. They will never leave my mind, lol.

Not a series as a whole, but a single game. I really could not get into Pokemon Omega Ruby at all. I bought it expecting a blast but I seriously dreaded almost every minute of it and just could not force myself past Roxanne. I understand that it's not a bad game by any means but I just wanted May to shut up for once.

@Dark

That bad? I guess my nostalgia of returning to my first and favorite region blinded me to the game's flaws. Personally, I freaking cried when I heard Petalburg's theme again and I enjoyed Wally's slightly expanded role and greater depth. The Delta Episode was great, and we also got the most broken sweeper in the history of Pokemon.

Then again, to each his own.

Anime. All of it.

O v O

One Punch Man and Dragon Ball Z are pretty good, though.

Oh. How could Santop forget?

Harry Potter: The most mundane magic movie series to ever exist. Where is all the Country level spells and etherial, non-copreal stuff?

Dragon Ball, Fairy Tail, One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, etc. -- Repetitive, long, and predictable. Doesn't change the formula at all. Cannot focus on a single plot, and is more like a "Oh look, there's some dudes, lets beat them up while overcoming our physical limits to become stronger". (Although I do have a bias towards Fairy Tail because it was the first anime I've watched all the way through)

Kingdom Hearts -- Story is really hard to follow. Tries too hard to be dark and mysterious, when the concept itself, Disney x Final Fantasy, is already hard enough to take seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if I enjoyed the gameplay alone, but I honestly cannot follow the story.

Fate Series -- I couldn't even get past the first episode. I'm sorry. They just keep talking and talking and talking and it's very boring. They do the occasional super-exciting "take a sip of wine" or "take a few steps over here" but the first episode bored the crap out of me overall. Find some other way to explain the plot, please.

Sword Art Online -- Severely overrated. Fantastic animation and soundtrack, but that's about it. The female characters bring nothing to the story and typically get one episode each, only thing interesting about them is their states of depression, and Kirito is a Gary Stu.

Back