• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Popeye the Sailor Man upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big upgrade, but a fairly straighforward one. Popeye is currently Large Star but he should be way higher. He defeated The Big Guy https://www.deviantart.com/doctormoodb/journal/Popeye-tanks-the-universe-being-erased-Feat-836366273, who literally erased the entire reality and controlled the forth one. He also defeated a 7th dimensional being. Yeah I know there's little text here, but the feat just speaks for itself. At least low 2-C should be plausible.
Why wouldn't this just be EE?

It would be better to actually post the scans in the OP or on Imgur; it's harder to navigate through the DeviantArt link or better.

But anyway, I didn't really see where a erasing all existence came from; only word salad regarding the 4th dimension and the like. Also, 7th dimension and 8th dimension appear to just refer to alternate worlds rather than spatio-temporal dimensions let alone planes of higher infinities.

It's not for him resisting the universe being reversed, it's him beating a guy who turned it off and controls the forth dimension.
How does him being the Big Guy who turned off the universe make Popeye Low 2-C? He didn't turn it off with his own power or anything he flipped a switch, it'd be like saying someone is 7-B for beating someone who pressed a button that detonated a nuke. Also the Big Guy controlling the fourth dimension sounds like he only controls it in the way a president controls their country, the line "principle of that big high school in the sky" in particular makes it sound like he just rules over the dimension as it's leader.

You have to prove that the dimensions are infinitely superior to each other before it can be considered Low 2-C. And something just being from the seventh dimension does not mean it is also seventh-dimensional. That’d be like saying someone is 7-C because they’re from a town.

I recall Amelia saying Popeye does have a lot of really good feats, but it appears no one bothered to properly source them. But the examples in the link appear to be flowery in nature or out of context.

Dust Collector, LordTracer, and Medeus make sense to me. We should probably close this thread.

I can attempt researching and searching on Popeye the Sailor man's comics and Cartoons buying every source available and as of lately since the beginning of this month, I had been getting back with Popeye and all other Classic & Old cartoons so.

as for reading every thread about Popeye, IDK yet. But this thread isn't closed and it should since I commented on here as a reminder to close it.

I can attempt researching and searching on Popeye the Sailor man's comics and Cartoons buying every source available and as of lately since the beginning of this month, I had been getting back with Popeye and all other Classic & Old cartoons so.

as for reading every thread about Popeye, IDK yet. But this thread isn't closed and it should since I commented on here as a reminder to close it.
Yeah we already have another Popeye thread looking for feats at the moment. We should hold off on upgrades until that is sorted out.

Wait did you buy this? I was planning on going through it after the Death Battle aired. If you've already got it though, I won't bother.

To note, Popeye surviving the universe being turned off isn't a Universe level durability feat, which I will explain as I saw some guy ridiculing the idea of the feat not being that in the DB discussion thread. The feat the switch does is 3-A because of what it does to the whole universe, meaning that any small area isn't being attacked with 3-A AP, this isn't some attack of a character whose tier is 3-A and therefore the AP of any area of said attack is at the same tier as the character. Again, what's 3-A of the feat is the whole universe being turned off, there is only 1 3-A feat there, if 2 characters were to survive it each wouldn't have Universe level durability because 3-A AP wasn't thrown at each, if hundreds of characters were to survive this each would not have Universe level durability. Being close or far away from the switch doesn't matter because it doesn't create an explosion from it that gets bigger from there, it happens at once to all areas of the universe. The reason why one would believe this to be Universe level durability can be due to being gullible or dogmatic, there isn't a real reason/logic for the feat to give Universe level durability, it just sounds like it because it has some elements from other feats that give Universe level durability for legit reasons, and it just sounds impressive, then one's flaws do the rest.

Also I don't even need to say this but if the feat the switch does was Low 2-C (which is not the case) Popeye would be taking even less of what it does given the space in all points in time that he occupies. Same as what the Big Bang page says.

What Dust_Collector and NotoriouSoda say, this seen more like a Resistance to EE feat, and the guy never actually destroy the universe with its own power.

So this be Low 2-C its quite iffy. And even that would still be 3-A instead since it doesn't seen like time was also destroyed in the process?

I'm not sure which thread is better, but I just want to say that we should try to separate Popeye canons while going on with research and stuff.

Afaik (but I could be wrong) the Popeye franchise, just like many similar characters, is a collection of different types of comics, toons and other material, without an actual connection or story between different media.

And since Composites aren't allowed, not even for this type of characters, there will likely be more Popeye profiles, each with their own feats and powers.

I agree about that this seems like resistance to existence erasure, and about that Popeye needs different profile pages for different incarnations.

Idk if it's Existence Erasure, Void Manip, or both, but to whatever of those it is, Reality Warping/Manip should be resisted too, as "reality" is being said to be turned off.

That is also fine as far as I am aware. Feel free to apply what has been accepted here.

I do see this as a Resistance to Reality Warping/Manipulation, Existence Erasure, and Void Manipulation.
Clearly, after his Resistance to Mind Manipulation right after that is; "being erased" links to Void Manipulation on Popeye's profile.

so Existence Erasure & Void manipulation is already on his profile
Reality Warping/Manipulation could be added on his profile as well but is it via his Base/Without Spinach effects key or With Spinach effects?

he is resistant against Magic, wouldn't that also count for Reality warping or possibly Limited Reality warping?

The dimensions seem legitimate through what I've seen but I'm not sure about the alien being actually 8D

The current Popeye profile looks like a composite, shouldn't we work on splitting it, instead of outright making changes to the current one?

Also, we must really decide which thread has to be used for this project, and close the other one.

I obviously support splitting the page, but applying a statistics change based on a calculation blog seems quite straightforward, so waiting is likely not necessary, especially as we will likely forget about it otherwise.

The current Popeye profile looks like a composite, shouldn't we work on splitting it, instead of outright making changes to the current one?

Also, we must really decide which thread has to be used for this project, and close the other one.
Personally suggest closing this one. The other one is just devoted to getting feats, and this thread's title suggests an upgrade where there isn't one.

Isn't it best if somebody applies a statistics change based on the accepted blog post calculation first instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back