• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Types Revisions REDUX

The real cal howard said:
Returning to the topic, Psychic- types resist Psychic- type because something about their bodies resist the facets of the type. Yet apparently, their bodies are picky like that and can resist multiple facets of the type but not the rest, despite both Confusion and Hypnosis relying on PSI according to Hypno's Pokedex entries. So Pokemon both can and can't resist PSI simply because. They can resist the telekinesis of Psychic and Confusion but not that of Telekinesis. They resist moves that are literally stated to be with "psychic capabilities" but can't resist the same psychic power to be used in a different way. They resist someone attacking their dreams, which are completely mental-based, but not resisting any other thing that attacks their mental state. And best yet, they can focus and strengthen their mind to a hilarious extent, but it doesn't mean anything to a separate mental attack.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Because, Kukui, it's common sense.
No it isn't, it's stating 2 things are that completely different. Malamar's own hypnosis is obviously not the same as the actual move (otherwise it's pokedex entry would be wrong) and trying to equate the 2 because they're both hypnotic hax is just ridiculous to me, no offense.

I have to say that is something I found weird when I started looking into the pokemon profiles, the games, anime and manga have being show to be different continuities with their own interpretation of the same events, who contradict each other all the time. Are there other examples of this type of cross-media scalling with other verses?

It never says they are the same form of PSI. It just says that Hypno can use both those moves. Confusion has shown to be an eye based move as well.

The real cal howard said:
Kukui, I got this from here on out, buddy.
Be my guest because im starting to get a headache from this now, havent eaten yet, and have other stuff to do.

But im still pointing out that trying to make the move hypnosis and Malamar's hypnosis the same is just flat out wrong.

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
No it isn't, it's stating 2 things are that completely different. Malamar's own hypnosis is obviously not the same as the actual move (otherwise it's pokedex entry would be wrong) and trying to equate the 2 because they're both hypnotic hax is just ridiculous to me, no offense.
No, neither are wrong. The Pokedex says Hypnosis. Malamar used the move Hypnosis. It's the same. exact. thing.

I am willing to let others decide who they agree with as this has become circular and we haven't even finished the whole Fighting type fiasco.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I am willing to let others decide who they agree with as this has become circular and we haven't even finished the whole Fighting type fiasco.
They agree with you (as always). I even agree with you on Fighting- type.

@SomeBodyData I see, what is the reasoning the wiki has for allowing this scalling?

I wish you good luck with your homework Cal.

Edit: Didnt read your coment before posting this Sigur, sorry for derralling the thread.

Malamar's Hypnosis
"This Trap is only possible because of the supreme hypnotic ability Malamar has above all other pokemon".

Explain to me how this, especially what I bolded, applies to the actual move Hypnosis and i'll settle.

Hypnotic abilities = Hypnosis. That's literally the move. Malamar's Hypnosis being THE strongest and most talented very much so allows for them to easily be the same. Not to mention the Greninga scan saying it along with everyone's main resourse saying so...twice. I see no reason to assume it cannot be the move Hypnosis.

So your basically saying Malamars dex entry is wrong and that the literal move has the same level of mind haxing that Malamar himself has pretty much.

Kukui. Do you know what potency is? Do you know what skill level is? Common sense dictates that Malamar's Hypnosis is stronger than others. Just because it's the same move =/= it has the same potency. You have been on this site long enough to know that.

I think what Dragon said was that Malamar´s hypnosis in inherently better than other none-legendary pokemon´s hypnosis, but it still follow the same logic and rules as the common hypnosis the other pokemon uses.

Heart Swap and Hypnosis are NOT resisted by dark types in any of the games. I literally just used Hypnosis in a battle in Gen 7 on someone's Mega-Tyranitar.

If there's any proof of Dark Types resisting it in the anime/manga, point them out. Because as far as the games are concerned, Dark doesn't resist Psychic moves that don't directly damage them.

Yes I am aware that doesn't make it the same level. But What I am asking is how does Malamar's pokedex ability mean it's the same move learnable by other pokemon just because both are hypnosis hax? Thats what im not understanding here.

Simple answer. The Malamar the researched all had Hypnosis. It's their trademark move.

A Stoned Orc said:
Heart Swap and Hypnosis are NOT resisted by dark types in any of the games. I literally just used Hypnosis in a battle in Gen 7 on someone's Mega-Tyranitar.
If there's any proof of Dark Types resisting it in the anime/manga, point them out. Because as far as the games are concerned, Dark doesn't resist Psychic moves that don't directly damage them.
Honestly, if Status Moves are able to ignore typing unlike damage based moves, then it should just be Resistance Negation toward said type.

But im loosing too much interest in this to argue that now so it's meh.

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
A Stoned Orc said:
Honestly, if Status Moves are able to ignore typing unlike damage based moves, then it should just be Resistance Negation toward said type.
But im loosing too much interest in this to argue that now so it's meh.
Fun fact: Grass-types are immune to Spore.

In this instance, though, I have to agree with Dragon, once again.

IDragonmasterxyz said:
Simple answer. The Malamar the researched all had Hypnosis. It's their trademark move.
If that's from the link you provided before, the link doesn't work. But at this point i'll just take your word for it because we've been on this for a couple hours now and im loosing the inerest for this.

I have other stuff to do so i'll leave with this. If Status Moves like Hypnosis can work on Dark Types, and the types that are supposed to be resistant/immune to them, then we should either treat them as limited Resistance Negation toward the type they go up against, except for Thunder Wave, or the mind hax is just that good. I prefer the former, but its not up to me.

Also, my apologies to you Dragon for making this heated. I didn't say anything offensive but i'll admit I did set you over the edge. That wasn't right on my part, especially when you had other stuff going on. Whether you accept my apology or not isn't my choice and I won't blame you/put fault on you if you don't. Thats up to you.

Bye guys.

I know what I said before, but after a small realization regarding one of the moves here, I came back to ask about it to see if it would change anything. Thats all.

Now about Dream Eater, even though it is Dream Manipulation, why couldnt Dark Types gain resistance to this again? Im asking first before going any further.

Nah im not talking about Hypnosis this time, just Dream Eater. Because Dream Eater doesn't effect dark types, thats why im wondering why we couldnt use dream manipulation as a substitute for them.

Acording to the OP " Dream Eater: Dream Manipulation. Even then, someone with Liquid Ooze causes it to hurt the user. This means that is also has some type of Physical Attribute."

Doesn't Liquid Ooze just make the healing aspect of the move go opposite and hurt them? They would still be using Dream Manipulation whether it hurts them or heals. And by "physical attribute", is that saying the hax would work on a physical plane to be exact?

Liquid Ooze is simply...Liquid Ooze. How it really works is unknown as I don't remember seeing it in the anime.

Although, Dream Manipulation also has other types such as Ghost with Nightmare and Dark with Dad Dreams. I am unsure on that one.

Back