• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon: Our Non-Legendary Profiles Aren't Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for speaking like this, but I find some aspects of Aiden's suggestion questionable.

What tier exactly would we be putting exceptionally weak (Magikarp, Wimpod, etc.?) AND Baby Pokemon at? I'd hope we're tiering them individually, given that some Baby Pokemon do have statements that may be worth considering, & that's before we get into the anime.

Again, I don't know where we'd be putting them, but a Magby can shoot 1,100 degree flames, Elekid is comparable to Togedemaru -not an evolved Pokemon, but it doesn't evolve any further either- Azurill has Huge Power & can spin its tail with enough momentum to throw itself up to 33 feet, & the anime suggests the Cleffa line arrived from space. In the Pokedex entries, it's suggested to be via meteors.

Oh, & Riolu has a good statement about its speed & stamina:

Pearl Its body is little yet powerful. It can crest three mountains and cross two canyons in one night.

Then there's the matter of Pidgeot.

I'd assume the fact they're an early line, where they're found & what level they evolve it is for gameplay balancing, & their in-games stats aren't necessarily tied to their in-universe power.

I don't disagree with Pidgeot's VSBattles stats, but Pidgeot aren't found in the wild anywhere in the games. They're stated to hunt Magikarp in Pokedex entries for Red/Blue, Leaf Green, Crystal & X, but they aren't found in the wild in any of those games.

Pidgeotto hunts at least Exeggute, but it's only found wild in Kanto & Johto reason.

Not to mention I'm not sure we should be assuming it's comparable to any Middle or Second stage Pokemon just because it is one itself.

And looking at Bulbapedia....

Starter Pokemo "In the core series games, it is said that the starter Pokémon are extremely rare, giving the player a reason why the Pokémon not chosen can't be found in the wild."

If these are very rare, professor-given Pokemon not normally found wild in the region, then why assume they're comparable to nearby wild Pokemon to begin with?

And I think giving Final/Third Stage Pokemon stats based on them being final/third stage is questionable as well.

And what makes us sure a Pokemon is vastly superior to its pre-evolution without feats?

The inclusion of levels -even if the anime has acknowledged them sometimes- also seems odd. Many Pokemon, from pseudolegendary lines or otherwise, evolve at low levels and there are a few from three stage lines or less that aren't pseudolegendaries that evolve in the late 40s or higher.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_that_evolve_at_or_above_a_certain_level

It would seem odd to me if we rated Pokemon like Jumpluff, Gardevoir, Luxray, Staraptor, Stoutland, Unpheasant, Gothitelle & possibly still others as "At least Town level, likely City level for Third/Final stage" for being Third/Final Stage Pokemon that evolve at comparable levels to starters.

And Lairon doesn't evolve at THAT high of a level. It evolves at level 42, compared to the level of the starters reaching their final stage at 36, while the lowest level a Pseudolegendary line reaches its Third/Final stage at is Metang to Metagross's & Hakamo-o to Kommo-o's level 45. Followed by 48 for Gabite to Garchomp, then 50 for Shelgon to Salamence.

You said "(Except for Pokemon like Tyranitar or Aggron and others, since they evolved at a very high level)", but Pupitar has the THIRD HIGHEST evolutionary level needed among Pokemon in order to reach its Final/Third stage, Tyranitar at Level 55, compared to Lairon becoming Aggron at level 42.

Again, I don't think using levels of evolution & what stage of its evolutionary line a Pokemon is to justify its tier is entirely sound, no matter if they're completely evolved, completely unevolved, or in-between.

I don't think it's entirely reasonable to scale all first stage Pokemon to Pikachu when they may not have had any reason to encounter it, combat it, exhibit similar feats, etc.

Same with comparing other stages of Pokemon to another they have little in common with (Like Pidgeotto & Pidgeot) beyond what stage of their evolutionary line they are at; Again, some may not even be in the same region!

I'm uncertain we should just entirely disregard statements & anime feats baby Pokemon have, weak as they are. Much less group immediately them with bottom of the barrel weaklings like Wishiwashi-solo, Magikarp & Wimpod.

Such an assumption sets a strange precedent to assume for a huge number of diverse species, and such an assumed precedent could get contradicted a number of times by official material, I think.

If we DO accept putting up such an assumption about all Pokemon, I think at the very least, we should still put feats, statements, etcetera before assuming that a Pokemon's stage in its evolutionary line, or what level it evolves at -which may be created just for game balancing- is reason to believe it should be a certain tier, as opposed to what official sources may indicate.

Dud can you not post long comments like that all the time. It gets real tiresome to read. Just summarize it. Either way I still agree with Aidens points.

Edited, thank you for the correction, Cal.

But does that invalidate any of the other points in my argument? Did I get any of the other listings of which Pokemon evolve into which, or at what levels wrong?

For that matter, does it change that Lairon evolving into Aggron at level 42 is a low level compared to Pupitar evolving into Tyranitar at level 55?

I apologize for making the mistake, & if I seem snappy, & I do appreciate the correction, & I really am very happy you would be willing to read so far into my post, but I am a human & am not infallible. I shouldn't make mistakes, definitely. But when typing up so much, I think it's likely I'll make some mistakes.

@Imaginym Not reading all that sorry. But if a Pokemon has feats or dex statements that place them higher then our base standard tiering, we will count that above all else. We are just trying to come up with a compromise.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Dud can you not post long comments like that all the time. It gets real tiresome to read. Just summarize it. Either way I still agree with Aidens points.
I agree that my posts can stand to be more compact. So, since you & perhaps some others may ignore my points if they're so wordy, I'll attempt a summary of some of my points.

1. Due to varying habitats, abilities, types,etc. I don't think all First Stage Pokemon should be assumed to be comparable to Pikachu for being a First Stage Pokemon. I think it's a questionable means of scaling.

2. Pidgeot's line is likely early game for gameplay balancing reasons. Not necessarily because it's in-universe power is meant to be comparable with starters. They also aren't found in the wild in any region, & Pidgeotto is only wild in Kanto & Johto. Why have them be comparable with Pokemon in regions they aren't found in?

3. Starter Pokemon are known to be very rare, & not found wild normally. You receive them from professors; they may not be native to the starting area you receive them.

4. Because of reasons 2 & 3, I think scaling Second or Middle Stage Pokemon to them seems unreasonable.

5. Why should all Third/Final Stage Pokemon be assumed to be on the same tier when many aren't in the same region & don't have much basis for encountering or becoming as powerful as each other naturally? This would mean things like "At least 7-C, likely 7-B" for things like Jumpluff, Stoutland, Unpheasant, etc.

I'm sorry that I'm so wordy. Is THAT a good summary?

Magikarp is canonically the weakest Pokemon so everything scales to him putting them around 8-C to High 8-C. (I think this should also include baby Pokemon).

Personally im fine with 8-B to 8-A+ mid evolutions because of Wartorttle and Piggeotto feats.

Final evolutions should be put at At least Low 7-C+, Likely 7-C since this puts them above Corsola and around Charizard who has a 7-C feat.

Most Megas should be At least High 7-C, likely 7-B+ scaling from regular Lucario's and Abomasnow's feats.

Lucario's calc is anime only.

Oh, and I was thinking that pokemon that evolves at very late levels (Yes, game mechanics, but they can be interpreted in a different yet similar way) should scale from 7-B Tyranitar and Volcarona, and be rated at City level+

Final evolutions should be put at At least Low 7-C+, Likely 7-C since this puts them above Corsola and around Charizard who has a 7-C feat

Town to City level pokemon is very consistent for final evos (Check Gyarados, Ampharos, Machamp), so "At least Town level, likely City level" is actually reasonable

Gyrados and Tyranitar, Volcarona is a little for arguable but it sure isnt an everyday Pokemon, I dont think that most Pokemon should scale to them.

Dunno if this is totally usable but:

In the manga Lance owns both a tyranitar and dragonite. His dragonite is his strongest pokemon, so, if you want to use that to scale dragonite to tyranitar... The profiles are meant to be the pokemon at their strongest right? So dragonites can become stronger than tyranitars (and well trained ones unless you want to think that Lance's is baseline).

AidenBrooks999 said:
Lucario's calc is anime only.

Oh, and I was thinking that pokemon that evolves at very late levels (Yes, game mechanics, but they can be interpreted in a different yet similar way) should scale from 7-B Tyranitar and Volcarona, and be rated at City level+
Vanillish evolves into Vanilluxe at level 47, Fraxure into Haxorus at level 48, Klang into Klingklang at level 49....

And that's just 3 Stages lines! Ignoring Cosmog & Cosmoem.... Skrelp evolves at level 48, for example. Mienfoo, Deino, Pawniard, Rufflet, & Vullaby evolve at levels of 50 or higher, depending on which species it is.

Also, @RadicalMrR:

Corsola's stats come from Earth Power, but the calc that did Earth Power bases the tier on Earth Power causing magma to erupt from the ground based on the move's description; Corsola's durability is based on the assumption that Corsola can survive Earth Power from one another.

Corsola doesn't evolve to or from anything, so I think it feel a little odd to compare it to a 3rd stage Pokemon, & I would like to ask if we're certain Corsola is that strong....

1. Corsola live underwater. Presumably, on the sea floor, so possibly closer to where magma may erupt from, making EP more effective.

2. Being underwater could also mean the magma component of Earth Power is less effective.

3. Corsola live in colonies, holding up communities people live in, in "a south-sea nation".

4. Corsola provide shelter to smaller Pokemon. Causing the earth to erupt could ruin the colonies, harm fellow Corsola, & collapse the communities on top of the Corsola.

With all these risks of endangering others & as they seemingly live in presumable peace with many humans & other Pokemon, I question if Corsola really would fight each other often enough to justify their durability. & as wild, untrained Corsola, how likely would they be to use Earth Power on each other?

Typing is often mentioned in dialogue in the games & in the anime. We can almost certainly assume Earth Power does more damage to Corsola. Can we be sure they do regularly survive it, justifying their durability rating?

Corsola surviving EP is made more uncertain by some of their entries citing their vulnerability to pollution, for example.

Black 2 They prefer unpolluted southern seas. Their coral branches lose their color and deteriorate in dirty water.
White 2
Su Coral branches grow from its head. They break off quite easily, but they grow back in about three days.
Finally, dialogue in the Sinnoh games, & dialogue from Earl Dervish (A teacher from the Johto games.) in Pokemon Stadium 2 (Where he teaches at an academy.) supports the existence of STAB, which Corsola doesn't have with Earth Power.

If Corsola lacks STAB, its Earth Power is only about 66.666% -more or less- the power it would be if used by a Ground-type, like Nidoking , Flygo , or Palossand .

Are we really sure Corsola's AP & even its durability should be so high, considering the factors the calc bases Earth Power's rating on, as well as factors that may influence its likelyness of use by Corsola, & effectiveness when used by Corsola, or on other Corsola? Not to mention Corsola's durability otherwise being questionable.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
STAB is gameplay mechanics. We are not going to judge power using STAB.
Even though it's specifically mentioned & acknowledged in in-game dialogue in mainline games?

In Pokemon Diamond, Pearl & Platinum, they have to complete 3 Skill-Testing Questions, which are to be asked to Pokemon Trainers as part of a Promotional Campaign to win a free Poketch.

The Poketch is made specifically for Pokemon Trainers & the campaign is mentioned by the inventor the Poketch; Clowns are in the city to quiz trainers as part of the campaign.

After answering one of the Clown's questions, he says:

"Ding-ding! You're absolutely correct! If the Pokémon's type matches its move's type, that move is made much more powerful!"

I'm very sure that's an acknowledgement of STAB, in-universe, within primary canon.

And Earl is a teacher in the main games & secondary canon. In 1 of his lectures in Pokemon Stadium 2, he says:

'"As you know, Pokemon and moves come in a variety of types. When a Pokemon is attacking, if its type is the same as its move type, the move's impact will increase to 1.5 times its usual level."

Besides that, at the very least, it's intuitive that Pokemon should be more effective with techniques of their own type.

Are you really denying the word of primary canon & the word of a primary canon character speaking in secondary canon?

A promotional campaign in the setting quizzing Pokemon Trainers specifically & a teacher lecturing at an academy both seem like reasonable sources of info on the setting to me.

"Are you really denying the word of primary canon & the word of a primary canon character speaking in secondary canon?"

We also get in-game dialogue about running with the B button and pressing the A button to do stuff. We have gotten in game dialogue about HP bars. Obviously a Pokemon who uses Earth Power and is a Ground Type will have it stronger. Being slightly stronger or weaker does not weaken the base power of the technique and is not enough to make a huge tier difference simple as that. Drop the STAB argument. I couldn't give a crap what character says it in game. Especially when it is a glorified tutorial. I guess by that tutorial a Machamp can beat an Arceus with a Cross Chop as long as Arceus is a normal, dark, rock or steel type....

I agree on Dragon about the STAB, but Imaginym do bring some good points about Corsola not even using the move at all considering the environment and whatnot. Now I propose this... What if the Corsola's just stray out of the colonies and fight? Is not as if it's impossible and it is reasonable given the circumstances. Or at least in my opinion.

I will make a profile on Roserade (just chose one out of the blue) based on Aiden's suggestions and you tell me how it will turn out.

Also, Mega's should scale to Abomasnow, as I said above.

@Radical

Corsola is not even a single Kiloton away from being Town level herself, so I think fully evolved Pokemon could be a solid 7-C myself.

@Cal since budew is a baby pokemon, Roselia should be High 8-C (Also because she was originally a evolutionless pokemon) and Roserade 8-A+

Okey dokey. I'll fix that real quick.

Also, some Baby Pokemon shouldn't fit that mold, as Riolu, Munchlax, Elekid, and Magby aren't seen as weak. They should be High 8-C.

Roserade also has those toxins which can apparently kill those who are touched by it, so theres some durability ignorance

There was also an instance in the DP Anime of a self trained Roserade who could take in multiple ariados and destroy Team Rocket machines

After you have finished with this ongoing revision, remember to adjust the regulation text in the verse page accordingly.

Also, two things: If mega would scale from Abomasnow, they should be "At least City level+"

Second: I think all legendaries/mythical pokemon/uktra beasts should scale from the High 7-A feat from Moltres as a bare minimum

AidenBrooks999 said:
Also, two things: If mega would scale from Abomasnow, they should be "At least City level+"

Second: I think all legendaries/mythical pokemon/uktra beasts should scale from the High 7-A feat from Moltres as a bare minimum
I apologize if anyone minds me saying this, but why? In the past, we've scaled Legendaries based on their trios & the Pokemon in the region of that Legendary Pokemon.

Why scale all Legendaries, which may not be related to Moltres -or even found in the same region- as it? Ultra Beasts especially, which are suggested to be from another dimension. Not to mention that it's possible some of their power comes with their arrival.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ultra_Beast

"All seven Ultra Beasts share the Ability Beast Boost. While they are wild, this manifests as an aura at the start of battles that boosts one of their stats, similar to Totem Pokémon. This aura actually comes from the energy they were bathed in when they passed through an Ultra Wormhole; Wicke theorizes that they store this energy in their bodies."

No Ultra Beasts are encountered in Ultra Space, even though we know they come from there. All the ones we found came through Ultra Wormholes to the Pokemon World, so we can't verify they're that strong without a UW.

So aside from lacking a connection to Moltres, if a lot of their power comes from energy from an Ultra Wormhole, they may not be inherently on par with Legendary Pokemon without the Ultra Wormhole's energy.

Good Lord...this is why we can never get anything done. We come to a decision, but then someone comes up with nitpick A and nitpick B, and we get nowhere. Eventually this will result in the files getting deleted all together. We've had countless Pokemon Revisions only for them to end nowhere. Why? Because crap like this^. We just want to find a baseline power for most Pokemon to keep the files from beings such a incompreshensible mess as they've been for at least as long as I've been here. Let's just focus on getting a baseline power for these guys. Why is it that every other series like this can get things done in a quick and easy manner while Pokemon always becomes this mess of "Why scale that?" "We shouldn't scale that" "This is important" "They are from different locations" "This makes no sense to me" "This should scale" "This is PIS" "This is a limit" Can we just get on common ground. This is the main reason I personally gave up on working on Pokemon files as a whole. Nothing can ever be decided.....There's always something that messes it all up and to be honest it is quite tiresome.

Sorry for my rant, but I've been wanting to say that for awhile.

@Dragon I feel you. But don't blame us. Blame Nintendo. Even in the current revision I'm agreeing with there are flaws, but they're flaws that can be addressed when the time comes, and luckily they're small flaws too.

We can't scale Pokemon without flaws. That is just inevitable. Pokemon is a scaling mess. We just have to come up with a sort of compromise. I feel what Aiden suggested is a good compromise for now. We just need something we can build over the years. It'll be a slow progression, but eventually we will have everything in order. We just need to do everything in decent and in order. Do that and we'll be fine.

On the Pidgeot talk page, I posted a pretty good summary of what I think Aiden and I (and basically everyone else) want. I'll post it here in a sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back