• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon profiles?

ArbitraryNumbers

VS Battles
Retired
I was thinking about creating a profile for the player characters of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, as in the Pokemon the player assumes the direct role of. We'd have some issues with giving it abilities as well as the profile pictures as it could be any starter prior to Gen 6.

For Red & Blue Rescue Team:

AP/Dura: Large Island level to Country level (Can fight off fully evolved Pokemon that should be comparable to Charizard, defeated the three Legendary Birds) | Multi-Continent level to Planet level (Defeated Groudon, the Regi Trio, and Rayquaza)

Speed: At least Relativistic, likely higher (Can keep up with Pokemon that should be comparable to Poliwrath, can keep up with the Legendary Birds) | At least Relativistic, likely higher (Can keep up with Groudon and Rayquaza)

Key: Early Game | Late/Post Game

For Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky:

AP/Dura: Large Island level (Can defeat fully evolved Pokemon like Luxray) | Low Multiverse level to Multiverse level (Defeated Darkrai as well as each member of the Creation and Lake Guardian Trios individually)

Speed: At least Relativistic, likely higher (Same reasons as above) | Infinite (Defeated Darkrai, The Creation Trio, and the Lake Guardian Trio)

For Super Mystery Dungeon:

AP/Dura: Large Island level to Multi-Continent level (Can defeat fully evolved Pokemon like Beedrill, Poliwrath, and Magmortar, defeated Jirachi) | Planet level to Multi-Solar System level (Defeated the likes of Yveltal and Dark Matter)

Speed: At least Relativistic, likely higher | At least Relativistic with Massively FTL+ reactions (Should be faster than before, can dodge and react to Dark Matter's attacks)

So yeah, any thoughts?

Oh yeah, gates to infinity.

And there's the Wii Virtual Console ones that were exclusive to japan, right? That would be impossible though.

Red + Blue Rescue Team: I'd say 'possibly Country level', since none of the legendary birds seemed too damaged by your attacks, and Articuno would have wiped out the player (and partner) if Absol didn't intervene.

Explorers of Dark/Time/Sky: The Luxray fight isn't exactly early game tbh. I'd say 8-A via beating Drowzee, and being on par with Bidoof during the expedition. Bidoof fighting Jirachi, sleepy or not, should be an outlier imo. Either that or Low 7-B scaling to Gabite, who occupies an 'early game level' dungeon. Plus you can find random Butterfree + Beedrill in Apple Woods. For the Late Game key, Low 2-C should be fine for being comparable to Grovyle and defeating Dusknoir who tanked hits from a bloodlusted Primal Dialga (and via beating primal dialga yourselves).

I think that Late Game and Post Game should be seperate keys. For example, for PMD Explorers, they should be 2-B via fighting Palkia and defeating Darkrai, or in Rescue Team, a solid 5-B for defeating Mewtwo. I'll make another post (or perhaps a blog depending on how long it is) for the abilities of the player from the first two games (haven't played GTI and only played half of SMD).

I'd argue that it's definitely not just a possibility. Zapdos specifically stated that it was impressed by the team, and it was hunched over after the fight trying to catch its breath. Same thing with Moltres and Articuno. They were definitely able to put up a great fight against it and the fact that they can damage them at all or last ten seconds against them without vaporized alone would warrant 6-B.

About everything else I can agree with.

Since we're speaking about PMD here too, I wanna bring this up: PMD Grovyle (and the other protagonists) should have access to TM moves.

• This is a specific Grovyle who plays the role as the protagonist in the special episode, meaning it can learn TM moves
  • There are numerous TMs in the dungeons that Grovyle visits, plus Grovyle has access to the Kecleon shop(s, there's some in dungeons too) and, arguably, the kangaskhan rock.
  • Grovyle already has Dig, which means he would have had to have used a TM. Goes without saying that, unlike the main series, Pokemon can teach themselves new moves via TMs

I've thought about creating a main character profile for PMD for a while now, but I don't think the biggest hurdle is going to be the power level. (Though, I perfectly agree with what has been said in the OP, as well as Gyro's additions to it.) Rather, my biggest concern is how do we account for the fact that the player, as well as their partner, can be one of a variety of Pokemon? Do we just simply account for all of them collectively in the profile, or do we just link them to their appropriate pages. And, on that note, do we have to specify which Pokemon is being chosen, as we do with several other RPG characters that can vary widely in moveset, such as Luso Clemens? Or will it be a composite of all of them?

(BTW, I am just fine with Gyro's suggestion to allow Grovyle and others to be able to learn the TM moves in PMD.)

I think we could include all of the abilities in the abilities section and then include a note somewhere to tell the reader to look down into the Attacks/Techniques section where we can specify which Pokemon has which abilities.

We're definitely going to make separate profiles for each game, though. Just to make that clear.

I mean, with GTI that only had 5 playable characters (maybe 6, but I can't remember), it'd be 'easy' enough to do that. But T/D/S had 19 playable characters, so fitting that all in one abilities section... well, lets say it'd make Arceus and Mewtwo jealous.

The spin-off anime based off of PMD Explorers of Sky had Piplup as the protagonist, so maybe if we base the profile around him?

Then again, the Pikachu from the Explorers of Sky boxart would fit just as well.

For what it's worth, there's a Prinplup on the EoS boxart with a red scarf. On the EoT boxart, there's a Piplup with a red scarf.

I don't think it would take up too much space. We could simplify and summarize things pretty easily. Abilities like Status Effect Inducement, Statistics Amplification/Reduction, and Elemental Manipulation should take out most of them. Then we could go into specifics down in the Attacks/Techniques section.

It's kind of inevitable that the profile would be big anyways.

The 2nd Existential Seed said:
Wait... Why isn't Explorer of the Sky be upgraded to 2-B then ?
If you're referring to PMD Grovyle + Dusknoir, they only fought Primal Dialga; a severely weakened Dialga with mastery over just one timeline. The player would be 2-B in the post-game for fighting and defeating both Palkia + Darkrai, and being comparable to Cresselia.

If you're referring to PMD Grovyle + Dusknoir, they only fought Primal Dialga; a severely weakened Dialga with mastery over just one timeline. The player would be 2-B in the post-game for fighting and defeating both Palkia + Darkrai, and being comparable to Cresselia.

Tbh, I downplayed the Explorers profiles hard. Low 2-C is wrong.

The real cal howard said:
Tbh, I downplayed the Explorers profiles hard. Low 2-C is wrong.
I mean, Grovyle stomped the Lake Trio, but they weren't really treated as being 2-B. If they were, I don't think Uxie would rely on an illusion Groudon to ward off attackers. It's also implied that Darkrai stomped the Lake Trio when he stole the time gears in the future, which is shaky at best. Also, worth mentioning that the Primal Dialga that Grovyle, Celebi and Dusknoir fought was actually weaker than the one in the present, due to time beginning to flow. I personally agree with the current ratings

Back