• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

He wanted to erase the spirit not the heart
Heart. The word "Spirit" was never used to refer to what Cyrus wanted to erase. The word used in the Japanese text is "Heart" (Kokoro).

Cyrus states that once the lake trio were part of one Heart, that then was divided into three as the lake trio.

Then it's said that our Hearts are made of the three of them, or that they "enriched our hearts" by giving the three aspects.

The word Spirit was never used and going by the context and word choice, Heart here fits more with "Mind" since words like "understanding" and "way of thinking" are said to be things that the Heart/s do.

Finally, updated the blog with the info on Arceus.
Nice things that I was able to find

The name "Original One" wasn't used in the original text, and its Japanese counterpart was really only used in a few lines in one of the myths, nowhere else the name "Original One" was used. Every other time, the being is simply called "It/Itself" or "Heart". There was also no "Original Spirit" thing, it was always simply called "Heart".
Original One/Spirit sounds way cooler, tbh

I agree, but that created misunderstanding. I remember that the blog that we currently uses mentions that the "spirit" mentioned by the Hiker was not Arceus, because for Arceus he used words like "Original One", "Newborn spirit" or "Original Spirit", while in the Japanese text there was never any difference and Arceus was always just called of "Heart/Mind" and in the context it doesn't make any sense to assume that the Hiker out of nowhere decided to do simply stop talking about the Heart to talk about other things unrelated also called Heart. Simply assuming that it always meant Arceus makes the text far easier to understand and with less assumptions.

It's a very adorable and well done animation.
Too bad they force Charizard everywhere, I'm pretty sick of it already.

It looks cute, albeit, very plain & insubstantial. I'm sure it has heart, but based on a Google Translate of the description, I wouldn't say it's an especially innovative nor exciting storyline.
Tsubomi's design remind me of Little Witch Academia & some of the other Studio Trigger designs. Kinda soft-squishy looking in the shape & fluidity, & slightly dulled colours. Setting & culture seem very traditionally Japanese, & based on the Pokemon present, I'd bet it's Kanto. Especially given the shoutout at the end of the animation.

Still, I get the impression that it's a bit like a Pokemon "slice of life" or "light adventure" series. Cute, but very low intensity, or even little of any volatility occurs.
But I guess that's not a bad thing. Some people like "slice of life" or very light adventure, & that's fine, too. Also, I like cuteness, too, in moderation.

Also, I like the logo. Looks very classic cartoon inspired, like a Pokemon version of the Looney Tunes Merry Melodies logo, which, while odd for Pokemon, is a decision I like. It's a strange logo choice & name, but still, I like it.

The whole topic about The Heart reminded me of the remakes of Gen 2, HeartGold and SoulSilver.
Maybe the remakes were named this way because of Arceus, and is not unreasonable, considering that HG/SS have a whole new event about Arceus and if you had pre-ordered or bought one or both games you could get these figures.

1107be2acdb24940e62ff98eb32cf138.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy y’all I may be hosting a Pokemon showdown tournament in the coming future, dm me here or add my discord via my profile here and dm me if interested!

Cramorant has some weird and questionable stuff on its profile, like resistance to Conceptual and Thread Manipulation, Extraordinary Genius, Time Manipulation, Spatial Manipulation, aura and more, and I have no idea where this stuff comes from.

Could someone investigate?

Aight so in episode 71 there was an instance where Morpeko attacked team rocket and caused an explosion. The primary black smoke of the explosion reached a height above a building that at minimum has ~27 floors (it's the lower estimate as the shot is from above and a good chunk of the building isn't visible) any ideas how much output is that?

Aight so in episode 71 there was an instance where Morpeko attacked team rocket and caused an explosion. The primary black smoke of the explosion reached a height above a building that at minimum has ~27 floors (it's the lower estimate as the shot is from above and a good chunk of the building isn't visible) any ideas how much output is that?

If you are having a hard time using the nuclear calculator, this equation can be used to find the yield of said explosion.

• Air blast radius (near-total fatalities) Yield: Y = ((x/0.28)^3)/1000 with Y in megatons of TNT and x the radius in km.
However, the rules above are for explosions happening in mid-air. For explosions that happen on the ground, we use this formula:

• W = R^3*((27136*P+8649)^(1/2)/13568-93/13568)^2, where W is the yield in tons of TNT, R is the radius in meters, and P is the shockwave pressure in bars, where we generally use 1.37895 bars or 20 psi of pressure.

I'm going to be generous & make a few assumptions to high ball this.
Let's assume the explosion happened on the ground. & since I haven't seen the scene myself, I'll just assume the height the black smoke reaches is also the explosion's diameter. We'll also assume since you said at minimum, ~27 (As in, roughly 27 floors.), I'll assume that's a height equal to 30 storeys.

The height of a story can vary wildly depending on building type: https://www.reference.com/world-view/many-meters-story-af78d69799f7f80c https://www.quora.com/How-many-meters-is-a-seven-story-building

The height of each storey is based on the ceiling height of the rooms plus the thickness of the floors between each pane. Generally this is around 14 feet (4.3 m) total; however, it varies widely from just under this figure to well over it. Storeys within a building need not be all the same height—often the lobby is taller, for example. Additionally, higher levels may have less floor area than the ones beneath them (e.g., the Sears Tower).

A storey could be a mere 2.4 meters or something, if it's residential or such, & I dunno if we've standardized what we assume it to be, either. Let's just use Wikipedia's given 4.3 meter height for now. 4.3 meters * 30 = 129 meters.

Now, I'm going to assume the explosion happened on the ground. I'll plug the grounded explosion formula into Wolfram Alpha, with R=64.5 (Radius in meters.), & P = 1.37895 (The formula's default pressure in bars to use for the value P.).

W is the yield in TNT, & Wolfram Alpha's Calculation says W = 21.56575460767152
That many tons of TNT is also 90,231,117,300 Joules.
Unfortunately, we also need to halve this, because I doubt Morpeko made a nuclear explosion. 10.78 Tons of TNT / 45,115,558,650 Joules.

11 tons of TNT or 46,024,000,000 Joules are the Maximum Yield for.... High 8-C - Large Building Level.

Just barely short of Baseline 8-B - City Block Level.

& if we Tier Morpeko anything like we do other middle stages, Pokemon that don't evolve, or say, Pachirisu (The Pikaclone we have indexed from the most recent generation.), Morpeko will already be scaled above this, to 8-A.

Well if 8-A ever gets nuked we know where to return
Do keep in mind, I did high ball the height estimation, & that was based on what I assume was your own height estimation, & there was no pixel scaling done.
The actual result from a calculation may differ.

Also, anyone listening to that Pokedex Book Translation Video?

Also, anyone listening to that Pokedex Book Translation Video?
That is one of the books that I shared a few pages ago. In fact I was asked to stop my translations because of that video was in the making. It was worth of the wait.

Asked to stop your translations? Ouch. Any chance of continuing them?
There's no need for that. I and Lava were doing the same thing, the difference is that he has a proficional english translator and a lot more of sources to that. He said he plans to translate everything and share some of the scans, cleaned and everything. So I don't need to do anything else, and what I liked to talk about I already translated here.

My plan was to share the text in my Twitter account, but after I translated the intro Lava saw that and asked if I could stop, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, the first part of the video is already there and we just need to wait for the next two and then the articles with the rest of the text translated.

There's no need for that. I and Lava were doing the same thing, the difference is that he has a proficional english translator and a lot more of sources to that. He said he plans to translate everything and share some of the scans, cleaned and everything. So I don't need to do anything else, and what I liked to talk about I already translated here.

My plan was to share the text in my Twitter account, but after I translated the intro Lava saw that and asked if I could stop, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, the first part of the video is already there and we just need to wait for the next two and then the articles with the rest of the text translated.
I see. Hopefully they come soon, & meet our standards for accuracy & scrutiny.

Also, anyone know if there's a publicly accessible version of the untranslated book, in case we need to get into untranslated stuff?

I see. Hopefully they come soon, & meet our standards for accuracy & scrutiny.

Also, anyone know if there's a publicly accessible version of the untranslated book, in case we need to get into untranslated stuff?
There are some random scans in the internet, but not the full book. Lava had to buy the book in order to translate it. I saw that Lava was working in a cleaned raw of some pages and that they were in fact planning to release a digital copy of it, at least the high-res artwork and such. There were no plans to release the full book because of the work, but Lava is talking with the High-Res Pokémon twitter account if they could work with a full version of the book.

So there's a chance that they'll release the full book. Outside of that, no chance of finding that.

There are some random scans in the internet, but not the full book. Lava had to buy the book in order to translate it. I saw that Lava was working in a cleaned raw of some pages and that they were in fact planning to release a digital copy of it, at least the high-res artwork and such. There were no plans to release the full book because of the work, but Lava is talking with the High-Res Pokémon twitter account if they could work with a full version of the book.

So there's a chance that they'll release the full book. Outside of that, no chance of finding that.
I wonder how much, if anything, they'll charge for the digital release. Then again, isn't it Pokemon copyright?

rapidash moves at 240kmh and can keep up with a shinkansen bullet train
according to wikipedia
The maximum operating speed is 320 km/h (200 mph) (on a 387.5 km section of the Tōhoku Shinkansen). Test runs have reached 443 km/h (275 mph) for conventional rail in 1996, and up to a world record 603 km/h (375 mph) for SCMaglev trains in April 2015.

so Rapidash's travel speed is 240kmh to 443kmh

I wonder how much, if anything, they'll charge for the digital release. Then again, isn't it Pokemon copyright?
I know that Lava puts the archives first on his patreon for a time, but he later releases them in his blog. So it has nothing related with money in the end, we just need to wait.

rapidash moves at 240kmh and can keep up with a shinkansen bullet train
according to wikipedia
The maximum operating speed is 320 km/h (200 mph) (on a 387.5 km section of the Tōhoku Shinkansen). Test runs have reached 443 km/h (275 mph) for conventional rail in 1996, and up to a world record 603 km/h (375 mph) for SCMaglev trains in April 2015.

so Rapidash's travel speed is 240kmh to 443kmh
Unfortunately, kinda irrelevant, because as is, we already powerscale pretty much every Pokemon, including ones like Baby Pokemon, Caterpie & Magikarp, to faster speeds. (In the case of those 3, Transonic, which is more than twice as fast as even the high end you listed.)

Rapidash's current profile in fact, puts it at Relativistic. (& also lacks a section for Ponyta.)

Back