• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

On arguably more substantial, related news....

What do we think of the supposed Pokedex for Pokemon L: Z-A so far?
Still too early to comment on the dex, since it's likely showing mons native to a certain part of the city (keep in mind the original Kalos dex was divided into three sub-dexs), I'm probably in the minority but I kinda want them to bring back unique dex entries for Megas (initially XY they didn't have, they were actually introduced in ORAS iirc and SuMo expanded on them with the popular fanon of Gen 7 Mega entries being propaganda to promote Z-moves lol).
I’m honestly more interested in the potential for Mega Evolutions of later gen Pokémon (namely Gens 7, 8, and maybe 9)
A Mega Vikavolt (that fixes the awful speed stat plus Pinsir also has a rivalry with Vikavolt alongside Heracross so it's thematic too) or Mega Scovillain (grants the stat buffs necessary to fully take advantage of its amazing offensive type coverage with both Fire and Grass STAB while still maintaining defensive switch-in utility via being immune to both spore moves and burns plus it's literally looks like a NFE mon, where's the 3rd yellow bell pepper head?) would be pretty awesome imo plus I'm a big fan of more underrated or understated mons getting Mega forms, giving already popular and/or powerful mons Megas is the main reason it unfortunately left a far more bitter taste in some folks mouths then any herbal medicine. Mega Ray PTSD.

Last edited:
Ash Greninja got a boost better than mega evolution they should just give the other two battle bond
I mean Megas came in a variety of quality levels and you can just...Give them a good Mega. That would effectively be the same thing.

Also they're kinda pretending Battle Bond didn't happen anymore.

We’re not getting any info on it at this rate. Seems more like they want us to forget it was ever a thing

Wasn't it removed from an anime flashback too? So it's not even just a game thing...They really did just retcon that it never happened???

Wasn't it removed from an anime flashback too? So it's not even just a game thing...They really did just retcon that it never happened???
Yep. All flashbacks involving it in the anime were changed to show regular Greninja instead. So yes, the form was outright retconned

Yep. All flashbacks involving it in the anime were changed to show regular Greninja instead. So yes, the form was outright retconned
I mean the Pokémon anime trying to be seasonal, serialized and episodic all at the same time was always going to be a mess in terms of continuity (the two part fillers with literal textbox NPCs being the worst offender imo, banned episodes non-withstanding ofc) but tbh Ash-Greninja was always a marketing ploy, since it makes zero sense Ash couldn't simply use battle bond with Pikachu or Charizard, heck I argue Infernape had a closer and more meaningful bond to Ash then Greninja but if TPC weren't gonna give the other Kalos starters anything then it's kinda fair Ash-Greninja gets retroactively shafted (naturally long after making the profit).

Who’s ready for kalosian charizard with a 3rd mega
There's plenty of M-Charizard-Z fanart and concepts tbf, I think the most popular ones usually are a fast Dragon/Flying type that's a mixed sweeper.

Naturally Kalosian Blastoise and Venasaur will get a 2nd mega form as paid DLC for Z-A and a 3rd one never.

Literal text box NPCs?
Filler characters whose whole personality and design can be described in a single two sentence text box from the game's or most of their dialogues is essentially NPC language (stating the obvious and tutorial stuff). As a result although filler is ment to be inconsequential in the grand scheme, it's still jarring (the first time around) having to watch back to back episodes introduce "new" characters only for it to be a pointless endeavour for Ash and Co who quite literally carry on their journey like nothing happened meaning you could've missed those episodes and nothing of narrative value would have been lost.

Quite a roundabout way of me saying most Pokémon filler characters are no different to the generic NPCs from the game's (forgettable time padders).

Saw a CERTAIN Youtuber bring up an interesting possibility.

The last Legends Game, all 3 starters were not from the region. (Will they do the same thing with professor bringing foreign starters?)
We need a Grass, Fire & Water-type starter.

Charizard already got 2 Megas, Typhlosion got a Hisuian form, Blaziken got a Mega, & it can't be Delphox because that'd be the vanilla Fire-type starter in a Legends game.

Meaning assuming they aren't going for Mega Charizard Z as a starter choice, there's only 5 possible starter picks, & if all 3 starters can Mega....

Then that means there is a TWENTY PERCENT CHANCE OF MEGA INCINEROAR.

The last Legends Game, all 3 starters were not from the region. (Will they do the same thing with professor bringing foreign starters?)

Charizard already got 2 Megas, Typhlosion got a Hisuian form, Blaziken got a Mega, & it can't be Delphox because that'd be the vanilla Fire-type starter in a Legends game.

Meaning assuming they aren't going for Mega Charizard Z as a starter choice, there's only 5 possible starter picks, & if all 3 starters can Mega....

I watched MandJTV's video on this subject and honestly, now I'm pretty convinced of the starters being Snivy, Piplup, and Scorbunny

How do you imagine Mega Incineroar would be design and gameplay wise?

I watched MandJTV's video on this subject and honestly, now I'm pretty convinced of the starters being Snivy, Piplup, and Scorbunny
Yeah, if you'll forgive my saying so, IDK how strongly France is associated with soccer, as opposed to other countries, but....
Well, Torchic was already sorta done with the distribution for X/Y & Mega Blaziken. If not for that, I've read that it might be fitting because of French hens or something?
IDK about Tepig, IDK if France is known for any breed or variety of porcine farm animals or wildlife.
I can't remember the reasoning for Litten. Something about French cats?

& Fuecoco seems redundant if Z-A is to connect to Gen 9.

So Scorbunny does seem like a candidate. We got a Gen 7 starter in LA (Rowlet), so unless they're scared of repeating starter choice origin generations (Which might kinda turn this into some kind of logic puzzle. XD ) then Scorbunny does seem like a candidate so far. Regionally, it kinda makes sense, since Britain & France aren't too far apart, too.
How do you imagine Mega Incineroar would be design and gameplay wise?
I have no idea. Well, actually, I recall something about the topic.

"Professional wrestling in France dates back to the 1830s and exhibitions of Greco Roman wrestling in circuses." - Excerpt from the Wikipedia article.

There's more details to it, & I am not a wrestling enthusiast, so I don't understand it well contemporarily, much less historically.
Still, it was a thing back in the 1830s, so it could take inspiration from that. It'd roughly align with the potential time period, but if I understand right, it might be a bit showboaty... which overlaps with Incineroar's characterization.

Incineroar is already a showy wrestler, albeit a heel with a soft side deep down, so unless there's some kinda morality flip like making it a face &/or with a dark side deep down -& then what do we change the Dark-type to if anything?- this angle could be redundant.

So depending on your perspective, it either works for or against the idea. IDK how that wrestling would differ, so IDK what they'd do, sadly.

Would it be like Japanese vs French wrestling?
Also, that implies 1 style "died out"; If this variety of Incineroar is no longer found in the modern day, unless they do something like how you can find Hisuian Pokemon in Blueberry Academy, but IIRC, aside from the 1-of-a-kind Bloodmoon Ursaluna that drifted to Kitakami from overseas, Hisuian forms aren't known to be elsewhere yet.

Although, since it may be a Mega rather than a Kalosian form (Weird as it'd be for a Mega to be tied to a time period.).... Who knows? Maybe it doubles down on the tiger elements? Or the other wrestler elements? (& all that assumes GF keeps Incineroar French. I'm pretty sure there's been Pokemon based on stuff from places mismatched to their regions.)

Pardon all my words, please.

Yeah, if you'll forgive my saying so, IDK how strongly France is associated with soccer, as opposed to other countries, but....
Well, Torchic was already sorta done with the distribution for X/Y & Mega Blaziken. If not for that, I've read that it might be fitting because of French hens or something?
Football's really popular in France, they won the 2018 world cup iirc and they have teams like PSG + cracked players like Mbappe.

Since something like Cynthia didn't really happen for gen 6 besides the two assistants appearing in Aloha and considering they connected Typhlosion to the afterlife in Hisui for what appears to be the sole reason of being fire type, ie Bulbapedia the information on the origin section is "Hisuian Typhlosion appears to be based on psychopomp figures, common in many mythologies. More specifically, it may be based on Kamuy-huci, the Ainu goddess of fire and the hearth, whose fire is said to act as a gateway between the human world and the spirit world."

IDK about Tepig, IDK if France is known for any breed or variety of porcine farm animals or wildlife.
I can't remember the reasoning for Litten. Something about French cats?

& Fuecoco seems redundant if Z-A is to connect to Gen 9.

So Scorbunny does seem like a candidate. We got a Gen 7 starter in LA (Rowlet), so unless they're scared of repeating starter choice origin generations (Which might kinda turn this into some kind of logic puzzle. XD ) then Scorbunny does seem like a candidate so far. Regionally, it kinda makes sense, since Britain & France aren't too far apart, too.

I have no idea. Well, actually, I recall something about the topic.

"Professional wrestling in France dates back to the 1830s and exhibitions of Greco Roman wrestling in circuses." - Excerpt from the Wikipedia article.

There's more details to it, & I am not a wrestling enthusiast, so I don't understand it well contemporarily, much less historically.
Still, it was a thing back in the 1830s, so it could take inspiration from that. It'd roughly align with the potential time period, but if I understand right, it might be a bit showboaty... which overlaps with Incineroar's characterization.

Incineroar is already a showy wrestler, albeit a heel with a soft side deep down, so unless there's some kinda morality flip like making it a face &/or with a dark side deep down -& then what do we change the Dark-type to if anything?- this angle could be redundant.

So depending on your perspective, it either works for or against the idea. IDK how that wrestling would differ, so IDK what they'd do, sadly.

Would it be like Japanese vs French wrestling?
Also, that implies 1 style "died out"; If this variety of Incineroar is no longer found in the modern day, unless they do something like how you can find Hisuian Pokemon in Blueberry Academy, but IIRC, aside from the 1-of-a-kind Bloodmoon Ursaluna that drifted to Kitakami from overseas, Hisuian forms aren't known to be elsewhere yet.

Although, since it may be a Mega rather than a Kalosian form (Weird as it'd be for a Mega to be tied to a time period.).... Who knows? Maybe it doubles down on the tiger elements? Or the other wrestler elements? (& all that assumes GF keeps Incineroar French. I'm pretty sure there's been Pokemon based on stuff from places mismatched to their regions.)

Pardon all my words, please.
Taking elements from the wrestling scene of a particular place or time period actually makes a lot of sense. Honestly if you ask me for Incineroar both the tiger and heel aspects are equally important, so my guess is that if a Mega is ever done it would be dressed up a bit with wrestling characteristics of a particular wrestling but not leaving the heel theme (which is also my guess if we get a regional Incineroar). Not to mention, as Mega Blaziken and Mega Lucario show, a Mega not necessarily mean a new typing.

Unrelated but is the time period ZA will be taking place been hinted at? Dunno why, but when it was mentioned that it will take entirely in Lumiose City I immediately assumed it would be somewhat futuristic.

Taking elements from the wrestling scene of a particular place or time period actually makes a lot of sense. Honestly if you ask me for Incineroar both the tiger and heel aspects are equally important, so my guess is that if a Mega is ever done it would be dressed up a bit with wrestling characteristics of a particular wrestling but not leaving the heel theme (which is also my guess if we get a regional Incineroar). Not to mention, as Mega Blaziken and Mega Lucario show, a Mega not necessarily mean a new typing.

Unrelated but is the time period ZA will be taking place been hinted at? Dunno why, but when it was mentioned that it will take entirely in Lumiose City I immediately assumed it would be somewhat futuristic.
From what I recall, thanks to watching Lockstin & Noggin's video, if we're to assume it happens at a similar time to analogous real world events....

"Haussmann's renovation of Paris was a vast public works programme commissioned by French Emperor Napoleon III and directed by his prefect of the Seine, Georges-Eugène Haussmann, between 1853 and 1870. It included the demolition of medieval neighbourhoods that were deemed overcrowded and unhealthy by officials at the time; the building of wide avenues; new parks and squares; the annexation of the suburbs surrounding Paris; and the construction of new sewers, fountains and aqueducts. Haussmann's work was met with fierce opposition, and he was finally dismissed by Napoleon III in 1870; but work on his projects continued until 1927. The street plan and distinctive appearance of the centre of Paris today are largely the result of Haussmann's renovation."

Annoyingly....

In 1848 (Edo era), a camera for daguerréotype was imported by a Dutch ship to Japan (Nagasaki, 長崎). It is said that this was the first camera in Japan.

Electricity was first used in Japan on March 25, 1878 at the Institute of Technology in Toranomon, Tokyo when an arc lamp was switched on in commemoration of the opening of the Central Telegraph Office.

In those days, electricity was still unfamiliar and uncommon not only in Japan but also in Europe and the United States. In 1886, Tokyo Electric Lighting, a private company, commenced operations as the nation's first electric power company, and began supplying electricity to the public in the following year.

While it's possible for them to be earlier, especially when considering other parts of the world could have some things earlier, the concern is Legends Arceus, where the cameras produce typically primitively sepia-toned photos & it's questionable if appliances CAN be electrically powered.

• In Hisui, interacting with the Rotom appliances while the player has no Rotom (either in the party or box/pastures) will display the following text:
    It's a microwave oven you bought from the Gingko Guild. But cooking is Beni's job.
    It's a washing machine you bought from the Gingko Guild. But using it would waste water.
    It's a refrigerator you bought from the Gingko Guild. What era did this even come from?
    It's an electric fan you bought from the Gingko Guild. But this place isn't hot enough to need it.
    It's a lawn mower you bought from the Gingko Guild. But there aren't exactly lawns to mow.
Mind that the description seems familiar with them, but the player character is from the future/modern era.

Plus, there's the names: The Mechanical Tub (Washing Machine) and Mechanical Circular Saw (Lawn Mover), the Mechanical Box (Microwave), the Mechanical Cabinet (Refrigerator) & the Mechanical Pinwheel (Electric Fan).

Plus, Laventon's Pokedex entries for the forms although formulaic, act unfamiliar with the items:

He calls the microwave oven a "strange cauldron", the washing machine an "odd bureau", the refrigerator a "bizarre cupboard", the electric fan a "mysterious contraption", & the lawn mower a "misshapen wheelbarrow".

For anyone confused, some of "bureau"'s definitions include:

(chiefly Britain) A desk, usually with a cover and compartments that are located above the level of the writing surface rather than underneath, and often used for storing papers.
(US) A chest of drawers for clothes.

Point is, most, if not all of those devices didn't come to be -At least, not in IRL Japan- until around the 1900s, putting them decades ahead of the primitive cameras. Maybe Laventon, despite being a wildlife researcher, just has outdated technology?
But since they're bought from Ginter, they may be there by mundane means. (As opposed to the space time distortions in the region per the plot.)

Ginter apparently gives descriptions when listing wares:
  • Purchasing a Rotom Machine
"Its insides are packed with gears and machinery that serve some unclear purpose. But if you can solve this item’s mysteries, your reward will surely be far greater than the price you paid for it today. Well then. I’ll get this sent to your quarters—free of charge, of course."

The player's interact text even questions what era the refrigerator came from, which makes sense as it'd be decades ahead of Hisui's ostensible time period.

Anyway, bottom line, this COULD mean that PL:A takes place further ahead in time than PL:Z-A, which would sort of make Z-A... a prequel. ARGH!!!
But since there were restructuring of Paris projects continued even until 1927, it's possible it takes place later.

Oh & also I forgot this:

"In the 1950s and 1960s, the city underwent a massive reconstruction, with the addition of new highways, skyscrapers, and thousands of new apartment blocks."

So there's at least 2 big reconstruction of Paris events & I forget which of them Z-A is supposedly closer to. Sorry!

Last edited:
Oh & the Eiffel Tower was made in 1887 to 1889, almost a decade after electricity became common in France.
If Z-A is before Lumiose Tower was made, it may also be before it became known as the city of lights &/or had the Tower become an Electric-type Gym Leader's gym.

If Z-A is before said tower was made, that gives us a clue or two to when the game takes place. Sort of. What IRL era it's like, anyway.

& apparently, locals call The Eiffel Tower: "La dame de fer" (French for "Iron Lady"). It might take a type slot from a potential E4, but the wild speculation side of me could see it being a Steel-type Gym or equivalent, even if that may be out of place in a game like PL:A.

Oh & the Eiffel Tower was made in 1887 to 1889, almost a decade after electricity became common in France.
If Z-A is before Lumiose Tower was made, it may also be before it became known as the city of lights &/or had the Tower become an Electric-type Gym Leader's gym.

If Z-A is before said tower was made, that gives us a clue or two to when the game takes place. Sort of. What IRL era it's like, anyway.

& apparently, locals call The Eiffel Tower: "La dame de fer" (French for "Iron Lady"). It might take a type slot from a potential E4, but the wild speculation side of me could see it being a Steel-type Gym or equivalent, even if that may be out of place in a game like PL:A.
Holy hell, that is some detective work that went in there. It was a great read, btw.

I'm lost on something, why the association of Legends ZA with a reconstruction event of Lumiose? Was it hinted on the trailer (if so I completely missed it).

If it took place a bit earlier than Arceus I honestly wouldn't mind if the game took place during La Belle Époque.

Holy hell, that is some detective work that went in there. It was a great read, btw.

I'm lost on something, why the association of Legends ZA with a reconstruction event of Lumiose? Was it hinted on the trailer (if so I completely missed it).
No offense meant but.... I suppose that wouldn't be an unreasonable way to describe it.

At 0:13, text reading "Urban Redevelopment Plan" is visible.

(& also a city with a blanked out name, but considering what we see of the city in the trailer, fans can certainly have at least a little certainty what city we see.)
If it took place a bit earlier than Arceus I honestly wouldn't mind if the game took place during La Belle Époque.
La Belle Époque? I'm curious what that is!

Nonetheless, glad you enjoyed the fruits of my research!

More rambling.... Another video I've seen, but haven't been able to check in full discusses how X & Y & Kalos were originally designed with themes of beauty in mind, which Primarina's inspiration of an opera singer & mermaid/siren may align with.

Supposedly, opera was also recognized as an art form in the 1850s?

To its credit or discredit, France has seals like the harbor seal & grey seal present, but some speculate Primarina or its line may be based on the Japanese sea lion, which is extinct. & Decidueye is based on in part, the stilt owl, or so Bulbapedia claims... but there's speculation by some that all Grass-type starters are based on extinct species, & Incineroar seems to break the possible theming of the Alola starters being based on extinct species, unless you wanna be really loose & count Litten's rough resemblance to the Japanese irimote cat.

So I'm not sure about Primarina over Empoleon. Primarina might have a case for getting a Mega &/or being found in a region, but last Legends only did the exotic starters plus the regionals found in the wild. It getting a regional form or straight up starter status seems dubious....

Sounds like some Magearna shit. And I wonder if Magearna will appear in ZA
Maybe? It'd be strange, since it's a Gen 7 Mythical, & it's Original Colour Form didn't become available until the release of Gen 8's Home.

Although, a giant metal, lady-like Pokemon to associate with the Eiffel Tower? Celesteela is also similar, kinda cone-like in shape like the Eiffel Tower, & like the Eiffel Tower is BIG.
Though, unless we get more space time distortions & these ones connect Lumiose of the past to a space time portal, an Ultra Beast has little business in Lumiose of the past AFAIK.

But Magearna.... If this game takes place in the past.
Eh.... Magearna was built 500 years ago, but from what I've researched the IRL time period Z-A seems analogous to is less than 200 years ago. Would that really be enough to fade from the gold & red we see it had to the gray of the modern day?
If's it still had its colouring more than halfway towards the present from when it was built, why would it lose it?

Still, Magearna showing up at all might be neat.

No offense meant but.... I suppose that wouldn't be an unreasonable way to describe it.

At 0:13, text reading "Urban Redevelopment Plan" is visible.

(& also a city with a blanked out name, but considering what we see of the city in the trailer, fans can certainly have at least a little certainty what city we see.)

La Belle Époque? I'm curious what that is!

Nonetheless, glad you enjoyed the fruits of my research!

More rambling.... Another video I've seen, but haven't been able to check in full discusses how X & Y & Kalos were originally designed with themes of beauty in mind, which Primarina's inspiration of an opera singer & mermaid/siren may align with.

Supposedly, opera was also recognized as an art form in the 1850s?

To its credit or discredit, France has seals like the harbor seal & grey seal present, but some speculate Primarina or its line may be based on the Japanese sea lion, which is extinct. & Decidueye is based on in part, the stilt owl, or so Bulbapedia claims... but there's speculation by some that all Grass-type starters are based on extinct species, & Incineroar seems to break the possible theming of the Alola starters being based on extinct species, unless you wanna be really loose & count Litten's rough resemblance to the Japanese irimote cat.

So I'm not sure about Primarina over Empoleon. Primarina might have a case for getting a Mega &/or being found in a region, but last Legends only did the exotic starters plus the regionals found in the wild. It getting a regional form or straight up starter status seems dubious....
None taken don't worry.l Lol, totally missed that. I remember I was commenting the trailer with my brother irl and was talking to him during the sign parts, I guess that's why I didn't see it >_>;

Full description, but essentially it was a period from around 1871-1880 to 1914, it was a period of peace, great prosperity, technological, scientific and cultural innovations, as well as flourishment of the arts with several masterpieces coming to be. Not to mention it came between the Napoleonic Wars and World War 1, so it came to be seen as a golden age of sorts.

To be fair, if this is based on France during the 19th century Empoleon would make a lot of sense to be included. Of course that is assuming this whole speculation is on to something. Other than that, maybe a relationship with circuses can be a deal for Primarina and Incineroar (taking inc ount what you mentioned before)? Circus was apparently a big deal in france during the 19th century.

Last edited:
We thought that Arceus is the strongest entity in Pokémon but we were wrong

9294638-20240308_173121.jpg

9294639-20240308_173111.jpg

Not even Tier 1 Arceus myth is gonna save him now

So I think I'm finished with Eevee's profile revision. Is there anything y'all think I should change before I start work on the Pichu line?
Empathic Manipulation for stuff like Covet, Growl, etc.?

Swift is Danmaku I think?

Reactive Power Level &/or Damage Boost for Flail?

Not sure what Synchronoise is. Called a shock wave, so... Vibration Manipulation??

Status Effect Inducement for Yawn?

Aurora Beam might be Light Manipulation because rainbow-coloured beam, but IDK if the move description supports or opposes that, also, IRL, don't auroras involve magnetism or something?

Might go over more later.

Empathic Manipulation for stuff like Covet, Growl, etc.?
I believe they are more so aligned with Social Influencing cause those moves are not supernaturally manipulating emotions, unlike something like G-Max Cuddle.
Swift is Danmaku I think?
I'm not 100% sure if the game Swift is enough to qualify for Danmaku.
Reactive Power Level &/or Damage Boost for Flail?
Added it under stat amplification.
Not sure what Synchronoise is. Called a shock wave, so... Vibration Manipulation??
I'll add it as Vibration Manipulation.
Status Effect Inducement for Yawn?
Added!
Aurora Beam might be Light Manipulation because rainbow-coloured beam, but IDK if the move description supports or opposes that, also, IRL, don't auroras involve magnetism or something?
I don't think Aurora Beam being rainbow is enough for light manip.

Back