• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pikmin Below Average Level+ Confusion

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Hey there. So, this got me thinking recently. The spaceship crash was calced to be 22.6 joules, right? Well, here's the thing. If we don't get Wall level for surviving car accidents due to being some distance away from the point of impact (the engine, obviously), how come the characters in Pikmin get Below Average level+ from a spaceship crash, which would normally be treated the same way a car crash would?

This confusion would further be propogated by the fact that a wide variety of Pikmin creatures (i.e. every sunset creature in Pikmin 2) were shown to be unable to harm the Hocotate Freight spaceship (which itself would legitimately be comparable to all the other ships minus the original S.S. Dolphin). The only creature to damage any spaceship was the Quaggled Mireclops, which destroyed the Hocotate Freight ship beyond repair.

Yeah, I also agree with this. Inverse Square Law is a thing. Plus, the Captains are actually significantly more durable than the Pikmin given they survive enemy attacks that often oneshot multiple pikmin, so it was kinda awkward to scale them to all the Pikmin to begin with. The captains are kind of like pseudo stone walls.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Yeah, I also agree with this. Inverse Square Law is a thing. Plus, the Captains are actually significantly more durable than the Pikmin given they survive enemy attacks that often oneshot multiple pikmin, so it was kinda awkward to scale them to all the Pikmin to begin with. The captains are kind of like pseudo stone walls.
Yeah, not to mention a lot of similarly-sized (to the Pikmin) enemies can still kill Pikmin: male Sheargrubs and Bulborb Larvae, for instance.

I agree that we should preferably consistently use the inverse square law.

Okay, after thinking it through, Pikmin would have Below Average level+ AP still from dealing comparable attack damage to Olimar, but they should be regular Below Average level in durability since they are definitely glass-cannons compared to the captains.

Tbh, I don't think anyone should get the "+" sign if inverse square law was used, And we don't really make characters glass cannons if they melee. Pikmin are indeed comparable to the Captains in terms of Attack Potency, but their durability appears much less.

I don't think inverse square law was used in the calc: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:The_Smashor/Pikmin_Captains_fall_from_space

Of course it goes without saying that the Quaggled Mireclops is definitely Below Average level+ since it is larger than a Raccoon and was the only thing in the Pikmin verse to actually destroy a spaceship, and those things can survive atmospheric entry crashes. To what extent, I don't know, but it is the most powerful creature in terms of AP (the most durable would be the Raging Longlegs for having no-selled a single red pikmin and even a single purple pikmin hitting it, but I never brought it to myself to go at a Quaggled Mireclops with just one red pikmin. By no-sell, I mean the Raging Longlegs can take a Red Pikmin's hit with absolutely no harm done onto it. Also, the Raging Longlegs can no-sell hits from single Yellow, single Blue, and single White Pikmin that were buffed from Ultra Spicy Spray).

If there is a calculation warranting the + sign, that is obviously different.

That calculation hasn't used inverse square law, but it's kind of a problem with free falling feats. Humans can survive Wall level free falling feats, but if the same level of joules was in a single punch, it would be overkill of that same person. Crash landing doesn't really have a lot of precision. While it would equate to being able to withstand a 10-C+ body slam, but not a 10-C+ punch. Then again, they are small targets and most enemies do attack using body slam.

On second thought, I'm okay with it scaling to their durability as well as the Attack Potency of various bosses, but I think Olimar and the other captains should be stone walls, with Pikmin just being plain 10-C. Pikmin typically get one-shotted by everything and they really only damage bosses by chip damaging weak spots in large groups.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Humans can survive Wall level free falling feats, but if the same level of joules was in a single punch, it would be overkill of that same person. Crash landing doesn't really have a lot of precision. While it would equate to being able to withstand a 10-C+ body slam, but not a 10-C+ punch.
Makes sense. It's kinda the same problem I have with lightning in general since that stuff tends to spread throughout the body (not to mention a human can survive that just by curling him/herself up and not letting that hit his/her heart or central nervous system).

Antvasima said:
We have a rule against using lightning to scale durability now: Lightning Feats
That's what I was thinking, but that's for another Q&A thread (along with other electricity-related stuff like outlets, electric eels, and the electric chair). The topic at hand seems to already been covered.

Back