• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pieces of media that mean a lot to you?

Title. So i'm sure many of people here have some media which has touched them, or had an impact on them, or has otherwise earned a special place in their heart. I'm curious to know what they were and why?

Mine is probably twofold.

OMORI by OMOCAT. Honestly one of the few games which got me genuinely emotional. A touching, beautifully written game of tragedy and coping. I could rant about the game for hours, icl.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: A book I'd recommend to anyone, at any stage of life. An inspirational tale of following one's dreams. Genuinely changed the way I think about life.

The Hero of Time duology of Zelda games. I grew up with both of them, and I've looked up to Link a lot when I was a wee lad. The game taught me how to be brave and to be a selfless person, just like how Link decided to save the people of Termina and heal them of their grief even though he didn't have to. That incarnation of Link also became more and more relatable as I got older, considering he ended up being turned into an adult with the mind of a child in the first game, and when he was getting used to his new body and life, he was turned back into a child so he could experience a proper childhood that was stolen from him due to said events from the first game, only to that end up being a curse since he was now an adult stuck in the body of a child. This reminds me of my own childhood a lot, as I was forced to (mentally, obviously) grow up quickly by my own parents, and I'd subconsciously pick up on the bad traits of the adults around me, so I could learn to not end up like them later in life.

The Doctor Who franchise is also similar to the above, as it's also about a selfless hero. But while Link taught me how to be selfless, The Doctor taught me to be selfless not because it'll gain me rewards or compliments, but because it's simply the right thing to do.

Goodnight Punpun. This abomination had made such an emotional scar in me that I couldn't enjoy any other manga/manhwa for the next 2 months, and I was constantly, CONSTANTLY, thinking about it.

Sometimes I just want to go to the author, and just smack the living hell out of him.

100/10 manga, I want to wipe my memory just so I can experience it again.

Unironically, SpongeBob SquarePants.

It provided me a lot of good memories in my honestly pretty dog shit childhood. Even as an adult I still watch reruns of old SpongeBob episodes constantly and they've yet to fail to make me laugh or smile. Genuinely an amazing show for people of all ages.

If I had to choose one, it would probably be Regular Show. It was just such a chill show that I could watch on Cartoon Network outside on my patio after a hard day of school. I just wish that it had a little more time to flesh out the ending, but it was still really good.

i mean, sure

the Holy Shounen Trinity (Mainly One Piece and Naruto, Bleach comes way after that), Dragon Ball, some cartoons like Teen Titans (old school), Ben 10 (Old school and Alien Force), DC cartoons (I watched a lot of them before because CN), Dora the explorer (yes that Dora)

these are my childhood entertainment when I was still a kid, I still remembered watching One Piece in Chinese channel with Chinese dub lol, I also remembered I read Bleach in school library, good times

I also had those Uncle Scrooge comic, my dad love those and I also read it before, Doraemon is also one of my staples in my childhood

fast forward, one of the series I'm supporting (y'all know, that one) teach me that it's okay to be empty and afraid of change, and taking your step one at the time, experience things, try new things, and you'll be shocked on how many story you accumulate when you did that and make your life more colorful.

Played shitton of games too, I was not an active kid so I guess me being a nerd with anger issue gives me a lot of times to play games with my brother, I still remember we fight for turns to play PSP to play Dynasty Warrior (with me being a better player)

I played till GODDAMN LU BU DEADASS RESURRECT HIMSELF, that was unexpected (but me being an actual deadpan didn't thought much and mashed my button)
You then can tell us your opinion about the spin offS like Hyrule Warriors, One Piece Musou or Persona Strikers (which despite being a dinasty is more akin go an Action JRPG)

You then can tell us your opinion about the spin offS like Hyrule Warriors, One Piece Musou or Persona Strikers (which despite being a dinasty is more akin go an Action JRPG)
no money = not a chance

I'm more about eating food than playing game see

but I'll try it, if i get the chance...

though if it's as crazy and unhinged as Dynasty warrior (they have their Musou form, which is like SSJ but more colorful) then I'll consider it

Another piece of fiction that means a lot to me is The Boxer by JH, which I could write a 20-Page essay about how good it is with MLA citations, but not today.

Undertale and Minecraft marked me a lot for different reasons and my initial view of both was very negative.

My first contact with Minecraft was with it becoming the favorite game of two of my childhood friends, at the time my favorite game was club penguin and when they brought minecraft to the table I was very angry with the game for becoming a more discussed topic in the world our little group.

But after I looked it up on youtube and saw a random video of a guy just spawning a bunch of mobs I kind of fell in love with it right away and started watching it non-stop.

In the case of Undertale, at a certain time I was addicted to Five nights at Freddy's and I only watched videos related to it and one of my favorite youtubers had five nights at freddys as one of his focuses.

That is until undertale exploded, initially i ignored any and all videos related to undertale, until the youtuber i was watching started posting more video of it than FNAF and i started to get irritated about it.

Until I got pissed off enough to hop on an undertale theory video to find out exactly why it was so popular, I left the respective video completely confused with a bunch of knots in my head. But with my curiosity piqued, since I really like the concept of time travel and... I loved the game as a result.

Ain't played the original dynasty warriors. But I can confirm a lot of the spin-offs, Legend of Zelda Age of Calamity, Fire Emblem Three Hopes, Pirate Warriors 3-4, are pretty great. Among my favorite games, personally.

Age of Calamity and Three Hopes especially, as they provide stories that meaningfully expand on the original source material.

Super Mario World which is ironic considering I've grown somewhat distant from Mario games.

I only ever had Snes as a kid which was gifted to my mom. We were poor and I was a very stupid kid so whatever toys I had, other kids would end up tricking me in order to take them.

The console was the only thing my mom watched over so, luckily, my stupidity never got that stolen. But since we didn't really have anything, we mostly just played that game. I was very young so it was mostly just her playing while I watched but it was a pretty nice thing given our circumstances. She still kept her love for Mario too, so sometimes we play together.

I remember this young children’s book about a toy bear who lost its owner and traveled across the world to find her again. It’s different than all the other stories in this list, but I do remember it really moving me.

dope thread. versus debating inherently ignores a lot of artistic integrity in favor of interpreting shit literally in this cut/dry/cold manner for tiering so indulging in subjectivity like this is super important to balance that out

anyhow, just fishing for thoughts & david lynch's eraserhead comes to mind. there was a time where lynch said this was his most spiritual work, which is a trip to think about.

the most recent idea it gives is one on irony. on how our existence is ironic. it's a miracle that we exist, a statistical choke-up, but we do. we claim to promote goodness & yet all around us are evils we're mostly responsible for perpetuating. the things we hate most in others we find in ourselves. we try to find some non-physical soul in ourselves as a means of arguing our importance, or in hopes of escaping the fear of death.

but this film really just sees you naked. it strips away & dismisses your will & undresses that refined suit-&-tie soul. its like looking into a mirror and seeing an idiot monkey, something you fear becoming. in the end, you're tormenting yourself by trying to make something futile work, & the longer you hold out the more devastating it's gonna be when you call it quits. inevitability.

we keep going, & we don't give up, & that's a beautiful thing that shouldn't be minimized for the sake of some edgy revelation of doom or whatever. but there's always that scarily comforting voice in the burner telling us it's all good, to drop our guard & let go. because "in heaven, everything is fine."

Another media that really affected me is Dark Souls 2.

At one point, I stopped enjoying games altogether. No matter what game I played, I just found it a chore and a slug to go through, even famous and well-claimed games. This kept on for, like, 2-3 years. Now, I believe that's normal for people to get bored of something, either due to time constraints or other things, but I was goddamn 11 at the time, and I stopped enjoying it.

5-6 years ago, I got dark souls 2 on the xbox. Played it, thought it was a slug, and absolutely hated it. Played an hour and left it to rot. Got back another month later, played it for another hour, and left it out of boredom again.

Now, a few months after that, I was turbo bored, and didn't have anything to do. So, I checked the library, and decided to try Dark Souls 2 again. This time I played for a few more hours, and just like always, I thought it was boring... until I got to the first boss. Idk wtf was up with the first boss (It wasn't even anything special, just a giant with a butthole for a head), but that shit surprised me so much that after I got absolutely slaughtered, I immediately went to fight it again. I felt actually excited, y'know, cuz most games with giant ass enemies is just you mashing your buttons and not giving a shit about them cuz you're stronger. Not here though (At least when I played it), that ****** felt like a genuine threat to fight.

Surprisingly, I never checked youtube videos for it. Because I was just so surprised by the boss fight that I didn't want to spoil myself, and just discover things on my own. After the first boss, I was glued to the game, and actually felt fun for the first time in a game in like, 3 years. After I finished the game, I enjoyed every second of it. I've made it to new game plus, slaughtered the living shit out of everyone, then did it again. I found some neat tricks mid-way through the game (Without any videos, for the record), and for my 12-13 year old self, I felt like a god-damn genius.

After dark souls 2, for some reason, I began to enjoy games a bit more. Games like Dragon Dogma, Dead Island, Dead Space, etc... Despite never enjoying them before (Dragon Dogma is ******* amazing btw, it's in my top 3 favorite games of all time)

It also started my addiction to souls-like games. Even if the game is about a god damn egg fighting through kitchen materials or smth, if it has souls-like stuff, you bet your ass I'm playing that game.

This is mainly the reason why I love the living shit out of dark souls 2, even despite being objectively the shittiest in the series. To this day, I still enjoy dark souls 2 more than every other soulsborne, including Elden Ring. It's probably due to nostalgia, but regardless, I still find it more fun.

**** Scholar of the first sin, though. That shit made the game unbearable.

Been trying to think of something in terms of video games and the only thing that's come to mind is my absolute favorite game ever, Terraria.

I got Terraria as a Christmas present in like 2017. My dad just picked it up out of random games since he thought I'd like it, and boy I liked it alright.

Played a bit of it on the PS4, and didn't play much of it for the first while that I had it. I came back to it a couple times over the span of months but could never find the motivation to continue forward. It was the first time I'd played a game with progression like Terraria has, so I felt like it was a bit to hard for my taste.

Eventually, though, I got hooked to it. I stopped everything and started playing Terraria. I stopped hanging out with my cousins and family just so I could beat the Wall of Flesh. Whenever I turned on my PS4 the only game I'd ever play (bar Minecraft very occasionally) was Terraria.

I eventually would get the game on PC and got even more hooked to it, spending hundreds of hours on the game and trying to beat it countless times. At the time I got PC Terraria I nearly dropped out of school because I didn't do any of my work and just played 200+ hours of Terraria instead.

I still have absolutely no idea why I like Terraria as much as I do. It's literally just you as a 2-D pixel guy killing monsters and building shit. But maybe that's what drew me to it so much- The simplicity. There's no overarching plot of Terraria you need to pay attention to to follow the game. No lore you need to be privy to. You just sit down, boot up a world, and kill and build shit.

It's literally "kill and build shit" the game. And I love it.

#TerrarianSolos

Terraria is a goated game ong. I first played on my brother's ipad, loved the living shit out of it.

Then I got it on my laptop, and boy oh boy was that a mistake. I've become addicted to it so much that it was unreal. Played through 1.3, finished it, played it again with a single class instead of just mixing everything together, finished it. Then, I got into mods.

Calamity and all that shit was ******* wack. It's still kind of an addiction to this day. I play terraria with mods for a few weeks, leave it for a few months, come back to check news updates and months, play it for a few weeks and finish it a few times, and then rinse and repeat. I think I clocked in like 2 thousand hours into the game on pc alone. Though, this and dark souls games kind of ruined my school grades, as I didn't study, barely socialized, and even skipped school sometimes just to play the game.

****, this reminded me that I should probably go back to it to see which mods got updated/added. Last thing I played was The Story of Red Cloud, and shit that mod made such cool changes. Especially the Destroyer, they made him a god-damn touhou boss character.

Terraria is a goated game ong. I first played on my brother's ipad, loved the living shit out of it.

Then I got it on my laptop, and boy oh boy was that a mistake. I've become addicted to it so much that it was unreal. Played through 1.3, finished it, played it again with a single class instead of just mixing everything together, finished it. Then, I got into mods.

Calamity and all that shit was ******* wack. It's still kind of an addiction to this day. I play terraria with mods for a few weeks, leave it for a few months, come back to check news updates and months, play it for a few weeks and finish it a few times, and then rinse and repeat. I think I clocked in like 2 thousand hours into the game on pc alone. Though, this and dark souls games kind of ruined my school grades, as I didn't study, barely socialized, and even skipped school sometimes just to play the game.

****, this reminded me that I should probably go back to it to see which mods got updated/added. Last thing I played was The Story of Red Cloud, and shit that mod made such cool changes. Especially the Destroyer, they made him a god-damn touhou boss character.
I haven't touched the game in months because I'm still salty that T-Mod-Loader had a meltdown and deleted a world that I spent nearly 300 something hours on (with minimal breaks, I basically played the game everyday).

Kind of had a similar experience, although that was with an older laptop and without mods. Every time I close my old laptop, the world just gets randomly corrupted (Probably because the game was cracked at the time), so I kept trying to speedrun the game before my laptop dies or smth (Doesn't help that at the time, electricity was shit in my country and we could go 5 hours in the morning without electricity every day)

I never finished the game on the old laptop, unfortunately.

I remember this young children’s book about a toy bear who lost its owner and traveled across the world to find her again. It’s different than all the other stories in this list, but I do remember it really moving me.
Corduroy?
Edit: It's not this but I think I know what you are talking about, I just don't know what it's called.

Oh since I saw someone mention Children's books.

The Little Prince is, in my mind, one of the greatest pieces of media ever created. I read it during a...particularly rough part of my life, the sorta time that makes you like...yearn for the past when things were simpler. Dealing with depression, loneliness, and all the other complexities of gradually becoming an adult. And this book just pulled so many heartstrings. The narration, the simple yet deep themes of cherishing what is truly important in our lives, of being open to relationships, even if they hurt once they end, of having dreams, even if they are unrealistic...shit like that ******* ruined me. I don't usually read fables, but that story struck my heart like a hammer.

I was sobbing at the end, and even now I get teary talking about the book. It's just...magical. That's how I'd describe it.

Honestly?
I have wayyyyyy too many to really say.
Pieces of Media like the old TMNT cartoon's kept me entertained all through my child hood, but you have pieces of work like Persona which taught me a... Hell of a lot of stuff, and really led to my maturing. If I had to say one above other's though... It would have to be the piece of media that bridges that gap.

The First, OG Kingdom Hearts. My Mother and Father both used to play it on the old PS2 console, and when I was a relatively young kid, I ended up playing it myself- Almost daily at a point in time. KH was the first piece of media I consumed that really hit home with some deeper theme's and lesson's to me. It taught me how to never give up on other's, and really helped define my first rough idea's of a moral spectrum. Even back at a time when I didn't care about how powerful the character's were, or back when I didn't even know character's like Xehanort. I didn't need to know what tier KH was, cause it already taught me what the strongest thing ever is: Your heart.

Yeah, yeah, it sounds cheesy, I know. But it was honestly a amazing story for a kid. Was it a bit more scary than what I probably should have seen at the age I first played it? Hell yes. Those Heartless were terrifying back then- Creature's of Darkness, with Yellow Beady eye's, who feed off the Heart's of living being's? Oh yeah- And it took me year's to muster up the courage to travel to the final level after the initial time I tried to. But that's the thing; The entire story of the game was that you don't have to be afraid of what lurks in the dark, you don't have to let that fear control you, so long as you have a light in your heart, and so long as you remain determined, you can face anything with your head up high.

Even now in my late teenage year's, honestly, I heavily cherish the story and am quite fond of it. The first game had such a simple story, yet as you grow, the intricacy in it grow's, too. It's so fun finding small things out that I didn't understand before, and opening a whole new world of thoughts as a result of it. Maybe that's why KH is so close to me: It was the first story that made me think deeply, and so far still finds way's to surprise me. I still recall that about 4-5 year's ago or so, my PS2 finally bit the dust (A year or so prior, my then toddler cousin dragged the whole console across the house- I'm still amazed by how durable that thing was, but it was obvious that it started having issue's after that.), and me, my dad, and my sister walked from one town to a whole other town just to get another PS2 from a retro game store, and then walked ALL the way back- Just so I could play that single game again. (By this point, I had other game console's, including the much more advanced Xbox 360, so I had other games to play- I was just that attached.).

So, honestly, yeah, Tl;dr, KH mean's so much to me- It's part of the building block's that made up my personality and thoughts and feelings on certain philosophical topics like morality and courage, and even to this day I can return to this game and thoroughly enjoy it. Amazing Graphic's and Stellar Gameplay, but- Most importantly, lovable character's and amazing story, personally. Love that game, it may be a biiiit goofy, but I think it's enjoyable at all ages.

Oh since I saw someone mention Children's books.

The Little Prince is, in my mind, one of the greatest pieces of media ever created. I read it during a...particularly rough part of my life, the sorta time that makes you like...yearn for the past when things were simpler. Dealing with depression, loneliness, and all the other complexities of gradually becoming an adult. And this book just pulled so many heartstrings. The narration, the simple yet deep themes of cherishing what is truly important in our lives, of being open to relationships, even if they hurt once they end, of having dreams, even if they are unrealistic...shit like that ******* ruined me. I don't usually read fables, but that story struck my heart like a hammer.

I was sobbing at the end, and even now I get teary talking about the book. It's just...magical. That's how I'd describe it.
SWEAR ON MY LIFE I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE EXACT SAME BOOK. I PROMISE YOU MY SEARCH HISTORY HAS THAT BOOK IN IT FROM LIKE AN HOUR AGO.

This song. Discovered it while i was like 10 and it has stuck with me ever since. Reminds me of better times in a better place, when things were simpler and less painful.

The entire Star Wars franchise. It has basically stuck with me since i was like 6-7 when i became progressively obsessed with it and with legos. When i discovered Clone wars and later got friends that loved Star Wars it felt very good. Also a grand reminder of superior times.

Undertale. I was in a tough place in a completely new country to me in a poor situation psychologically due to that and my father was gone for a long period of time due to his new job. Basically, it was kinda bad for my young arse and suddenly Undertale which i've been courting for a bit became part of my day to day life and i even found others who liked it. I joined Amino, my first social media, and had fun drawing stuff, roleplaying, talking with people and more. I stopped obsessing only when i had more solid ground to stand on, metaphorically.

Idk if music counts, but:

"The Void" by Spiritbox is genuinely one of my favorite metal songs like, ever. Not only because of the fire instrumentals but also because of the beautifully crafted lyrics.

Touhou Project.

I got into the series not far into a very important time in my life, only a few months after escaping a lot of traumatic events. It was at a time where, being free from that abuse for the first time in years, I was struggling to find out who I even was, or what I wanted to be. A close friend introduced it to me, and despite having some difficulty starting to get into it, something about it just... stuck with me. In that liminal space in my life, Touhou was the first form of media I found that introduced me to what I could be. It is a series that openly preaches the idea that perfection is, in and of itself, a state of stagnation and loss of identity. That to be openly flawed is to be openly loved and appreciated, that life can only be truly lived through the lens of fantasy, that no matter how bleak the future seems, the world we see in our dreams can be made a reality. That to find a new purpose, however fleeting, is to be given new life, that danger is a necessity for an interesting life, and that to live without fear of oneself, to be unabashedly free from the thoughts and perception of others, is the greatest state of freedom one can ever know. Touhou is a series that led me to choose my new name, that introduced me to the sense of fashion I'll stick with until I die, and influenced my original works more than I care to admit. Not a single other piece of media has done something like that for me.

Now, several years later, I don't think I can be much happier with the sort of person I've become. For the first time in my life, I have a home I can call my own, people who love and care about me, the ability to choose who or what I become, and the deepest understanding of myself I've yet known. It's been a struggle getting to where I am now, and in many respects I still have a long way to go, but I think for the first time in my life, I am truly at peace with myself.

Back