• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Phineas's forcefield feat

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ryukama

I've also mentioned how it's unsafe to apply logic like this to the Phineas and Ferb, considering the nature of the series.

Also, the galaxy isn't being moved here at all. Phineas didn't move the tower, either; it moved itself.

@Inti

No.

The tower is supposedly 3-C. That doesn't mean every other device he's ever made is 3-C. He's 3-C via prep time via scaling from the tower, as that is the peak of what he's been shown to be capable of. In no way does it justify his baseball launcher or any of that stuff being 3-C. So no, alternate Doof should not scale.

@Arbitrary Pretty much every series on this site has defied the laws of physics or real life logic on multiple occasions. We have to apply some level of logic to properly rate things.

I mean. LazyTown is a silly nonsensical show. And there's no way an apple should be able to survive getting hit to the moon. I guess we can't use real world logic of KE to calc Sportacus anymore.

I guess we can no longer scale Striking Strength to Durability. Since that's based off real world logic and many shows don't always follow real world logic.

What's the point of even making calculations in the first place? That's just us applying real world logic to verses that don't follow it.

This forcefield containing a galaxy within it without being destroyed is a blatant 3-C feat. You don't get to deny it cause "this show doesn't follow real world logic at times."

Also the forcefield is able to grow to the size of a galaxy instantly. If that tower can "move itself" while having that forcefield it performed a 3-C feat. And as Ant said he could just as easily have gradually shrunk the forcefield, and destroyed the contents.

This feat's tier is fine where it's at.

@Ryukama

I'll take your point about Celestial Body feats.

However, my point wasn't "It's real world logic, so it shouldn't be used". My point was that the show rarely follows real world logic, especially when compared to that of other shows. This is the same show where kids are able to create state of the art technology on the daily, build skyscrapers to the moon within a single day, cross planets in a day by bouncing on giant balls of rubber bands and flying on giant paper airplanes.

You're acting like I'm denying every little bit of real world logic for all of fiction just because I'm denying it in this one instance where it's actually questionable that the series would follow it. I'm not dismissing the gravitational pull because it's fiction; I'm dismissing it because the show has proven on multiple occasions that it likes to defy simple logic. Why would we assume that it follows this logic on a galactic scale?

I'm okay with simple kinetic energy calcs for Lazy Town. Sportacus hitting an apple to the moon is a very clear and straightforward feat that was clearly meant to display his physical strength, so I naturally thought it was reasonable to calc it.

However I'm a bit iffy on Stephanie's 7-C luminosity feat. This clearly wasn't meant to showcase Stephanie's strength, leaving ambiguity as to whether or not it should account for Attack Potency at all. Whether or not those kinds of calcs and real world logic are to be applied to a verse is something I believe should be decided on a case by case basis. If it were a more "realistic" verse like Marvel or DC, then I'd accept it.

Same thing with the tower; covering the galaxy could've been done with the intent of many things, but considering that the show's ridiculous nature makes up 90% of the entertainment value to it, I doubt it was meant to be taken too seriously.

@Inti

Phineas didn't have time to build new robots; Perry had all of their past inventions on standby, which was how they got them. Even then, there's no reason for Phineas and Ferb to make them capable of defending the galaxy when their goal is to save the Tri-State Area.

Just because a character is ranked 3-C via sufficient prep time doesn't mean they're 3-C every time they've had some time to prepare.

Yes.

While I do think the possibility that alternate Doof could scale to the original Doof can be discussed a bit further, I still think it's better to go with Occam's Razor and say he should be Unknown.

@AN I'm saying that this site all the time applies real world logic to series that don't follow it. Just using "the show doesn't follow real world logic" is not enough to dismiss a feat, or like my other examples we'd have to deny many feats.

And if you're going to pull an authorial intent and say this feat wasn't meant to be 3-C, we've got to downgrade almost every profile here and stop calcing all together. We don't judge a feat on what we think the author meant to portray with it. That simply isn't how this site works.

Also let's get real. Do you honestly believe the creators of LT think Sportacus can destroy a town or move at Mach 94,000 speeds? Do you honestly think they knew that hitting something that hard would yield a kinetic energy that high? The same people who didn't even have a regular apple explode upon impact. The same people who had a chair spring launch a guy into outer space.

Why are we assuming LazyTown follows real world logic to this extent?

If we can assume that LazyTown or any other ridiculous show of similar nature somewhat follows real world logic like that, we can in this case as well. A show often liking to "ignore simple logic' doesn't make it exempt a feat from being judged with clear and blatant logic. We don't treat any series like that.

This is an obvious, straightforward 3-C feat. Just dismissing it because "the show doesn't always follow real world" is completely hypocritical and goes against how we treat most other verses on here.

All and all I just feel that ignoring a very obvious feat due to the fact that the show ignores real world logic at times or that the authors may not have intended the feat to portray something, isn't reasonable and would be rather hypocritical of us to do to Phineas and Ferb as we don't treat other verses like that.

We don't use authorial intent or a show not following real world logic to downgrade other series. So this case should be the same.

Others can decide whatever they want to do with the profiles though.

Well, as I mentioned, I agree with your reasoning.

@Ant I know and appreciate the support. I was just reiterating my main point.

If you believe it's best. If so may I readjust the durability rating?

I need to go to bed. I've changed the rating since it seems like that was rather well agreed upon by many members.

If there's an issue you can rollback my edit or I'll undo it tomorrow.

I'll be closing this thread now I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back