• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Penny Polendina vs Ralts

Peppersalt43

They/Them
ALTERNATE TITLE: A MAIDEN'S FEELINGS

Suggested by @koopa3144
● ------------------------------------- ●
No story here for now, can't really think of one

• Atlas Penny and Ralts used
  • Speed equalized
  • Place Located in: Amity Arena

speedpaint__ralts_by_pettyartist_d45x9i7-414w-2x.jpg

VS
__penny_polendina_salutations___by_poppyrous_dex3spv-pre.png

Last edited:
So Magnemite's profile is dog water rn and I wouldn't recommend using it.
But disregarding that what ability does Magnemite have here?

So, Magnemite is weaker (1.450764818355640529 megatons vs 2.688133365200764846 Megatons of TNT) and Penny can absorb electricity which is Magnemite's main type when it comes to moves. Ngl I don't think Magnemite has much of a shot here.

Penny can absorb electricity which is Magnemite's main type when it comes to moves. Ngl I don't think Magnemite has much of a shot here.
Huh, seriously? From the move list, there's a decent amount of non-electric damaging moves that they have

I wonder if I should give prior knowledge...

Iirc in the games wild Pokémon will still use moves even though they're ineffective.
Dang that's... bad. To think I just made this match thinking to exploit Penny's weakness to magnets
I mean, in theory, based on the Intelligence section, Pokemon might have some sense of intelligence.

At the very least, in theory, maybe Magnemite could discern that Penny isn't experiencing pain from electricity based on her reactions, & thus, not be harmed?

I mean, in theory, based on the Intelligence section, Pokemon might have some sense of intelligence.

At the very least, in theory, maybe Magnemite could discern that Penny isn't experiencing pain from electricity based on her reactions, & thus, not be harmed?
I'm not sure it would find out cause The Pokémon wiki says wild Magnemite only really use non-damaging moves to retaliate against attackers so it might not even realize its electric attacks are being absorbed before Penny takes them out.

I'm not sure it would find out cause The Pokémon wiki says wild Magnemite only really use non-damaging moves to retaliate against attackers so it might not even realize its electric attacks are being absorbed before Penny takes them out.
That may be referencing 1: How wild Pokemon in the games use moves at random (Whether or not that aligns with their described behaviour in say, the Pokedex.) & 2. In the Johto games, wild Magnemite (Among other Pokemon) had a 10% chance to flee from battles.

Pokedex entries that may be relevant:
SapphireMagnemite floats in the air by emitting electromagnetic waves from the units at its sides. These waves block gravity. This Pokémon becomes incapable of flight if its internal electrical supply is depleted.
EmeraldThe units at its sides are extremely powerful magnets. They generate enough magnetism to draw in iron objects from over 300 feet away.
FireRedIt moves while constantly hovering. It discharges Thunder Wave and so on from the units at its sides.
LeafGreenUses antigravity to stay suspended. Appears without warning and uses Thunder Wave and similar moves.

That second one, especially. Isn't Penny apparently vulnerable to magnets? (100 meters in the original Japanese version, rather than "over 300 feet", which converts to 91.44 meters.)
PlatinumThe faster the units at its sides rotate, the greater the magnetic force they generate.
SunThey gather in places where electricity is available. They can be found clinging to the steel towers used to support power lines.
MoonIt sends out electromagnetic waves, which let it float through the air. Touching it while it's eating electricity will give you a full-body shock.
Ultra SunIt's frequently the cause of power outages, which is why some power plants send out electrical signals that it can't stand.
Ultra MoonPerhaps because electrical lines are often buried these days, the number of Magnemite attacks on power plants has increased.
SwordAt times, Magnemite runs out of electricity and ends up on the ground. If you give batteries to a grounded Magnemite, it'll start moving again.
Legends: ArceusA bizarre Pokémon with but a single eye embedded in an iron sphere. I suspect this creature levitates due to the magnetism it emits from its arms, which resemble horseshoe-shaped magnets.

That may be referencing 1: How wild Pokemon in the games use moves at random (Whether or not that aligns with their described behaviour in say, the Pokedex.)
The wiki specifically notes how wild Magnemite tend to use non-damaging moves, the wiki wouldn't note this if it was not a unique trait of wild Magnemite.
That second one, especially. Isn't Penny apparently vulnerable to magnets? (100 meters in the original Japanese version, rather than "over 300 feet", which converts to 91.44 meters.)
Ngl I don't think Magnemite's magnetism is gonna help much here. It's LS on profile is class K and should have unknown LS rn which means Penny can probably resist the pull with her higher LS and attack from a range to work around it.

The wiki specifically notes how wild Magnemite tend to use non-damaging moves, the wiki wouldn't note this if it was not a unique trait of wild Magnemite.
What's the source on this claim, then?
As is, what I've claimed goes by Pokedex statements about behaviour.
Thunder Wave technically IS a non-damaging move, so it could be a conflation....
No offense meant.
Ngl I don't think Magnemite's magnetism is gonna help much here. It's LS on profile is class K and should have unknown LS rn which means Penny can probably resist the pull with her higher LS and attack from a range to work around it.
She has LS against magnetism?

What's the source on this claim, then?
As is, what I've claimed goes by Pokedex statements about behaviour.
Thunder Wave technically IS a non-damaging move, so it could be a conflation....
The Pokedex entries listed above do state that it appears and uses Thunder Wave, and it does have a lot of non-damaging moves (T-Wave, Supersonic, Lock-On). Meanwhile its goofy sonic boom move isn't much use.

It seems likely that it will open with T-Wave, and in gameplay the AI is kind of... goofy. Wild Pokemon will keep using useless moves, and even trainers often have huge problems with strategy. They generally won't switch even after you use Perish Song, for example, making the nasty Perish Trap (Perish Song + Mean Look) combo ironically redundant. That is unless you're playing one of its challenge modes, where the AI can switch out even when you've used Mean Look, their OHKO moves with 30% accuracy pretty much always connect while any moves you use with less than 100% accuracy will usually miss, and they get crits every few turns, and their extra effects always activate for them and hinder you as much as possible while similar tactics would never work for you. There's a term for the way the AI works in those modes, and it's cheating.

The Pokedex entries listed above do state that it appears and uses Thunder Wave, and it does have a lot of non-damaging moves (T-Wave, Supersonic, Lock-On). Meanwhile its goofy sonic boom move isn't much use.

It seems likely that it will open with T-Wave, and in gameplay the AI is kind of... goofy.
Why would we take the AI at face value, though? Wild Pokemon AI is the same for every species (Use moves at Random.), including Legendary species, & Pokemon which should have Intelligence feats or other reasons to act differently than picking moves at random.
Wild Pokemon will keep using useless moves, and even trainers often have huge problems with strategy. They generally won't switch even after you use Perish Song, for example,
Wild Pokemon generally don't switch, yes, because they don't have trainers nor Poke Balls to return to, yes.
Many trainers AI also don't switch, & have limited, terrible AI, with some being just as bad as the Wilds, IIRC.
That is unless you're playing one of its challenge modes, where the AI can switch out even when you've used Mean Look, their OHKO moves with 30% accuracy pretty much always connect while any moves you use with less than 100% accuracy will usually miss, and they get crits every few turns, and their extra effects always activate for them and hinder you as much as possible while similar tactics would never work for you. There's a term for the way the AI works in those modes, and it's cheating.
Source on that the success rates of their moves get modified in that? I've seen & read a bit, & for the most part, the AI just gets lucky across multiple attempts, often holds items like Brightpowder or Razor Claw, & in some games, does start picking teams favorable against whatever the player is using that's on a streak.

But I'm not sure challenge mode AI, modified or not, would be considered pertinent, especially if they have modified behaviour/capabilities not seen elsewhere.

Why would we take the AI at face value, though? Wild Pokemon AI is the same for every species (Use moves at Random.), including Legendary species, & Pokemon which should have Intelligence feats or other reasons to act differently than picking moves at random.
No, but the Pokedex does directly say that it appears, uses T-Wave and leaves. And actually, not all wild AI is random; in GSC and HGSS the legendary beasts frequently choose to use roar to make it harder to catch them. In fact it's usually their next move after they immediately try to flee.
Wild Pokemon generally don't switch, yes, because they don't have trainers nor Poke Balls to return to, yes.
Obviously, but they do usually use random moves. Magnemite is notable for having a pretty limited move pool. Magneton mostly got used because its typing and Magnet Pull made it a solid counter to Pokémon like Skarmory, who was arguably the best physical wall several gens running (hence the infamous Skarmory/Blissey defensive core designed to stall forever), was the premier spiker, and heavily competed with Pokémon like Suicune for the title of best phazer. Can't ignore the power of Metagross either. To support this, Magneton wasn't good until it got Magnet Pull.

Its limited move pool really dragged it down.
Many trainers AI also don't switch, & have limited, terrible AI, with some being just as bad as the Wilds, IIRC.
Trainers generally choose moves based on damage calculations, but they don't switch. You can use Perish Song, switch out, and then wait for them to run down the clock even though they could switch.
Source on that the success rates of their moves get modified in that? I've seen & read a bit, & for the most part, the AI just gets lucky across multiple attempts, often holds items like Brightpowder or Razor Claw, & in some games, does start picking teams favorable against whatever the player is using that's on a streak.

But I'm not sure challenge mode AI, modified or not, would be considered pertinent, especially if they have modified behaviour/capabilities not seen elsewhere.
Having beaten some post-game battle modes, and beaten the big console tournament challenges on higher difficulties and on higher levels, and been driven to near insanity watching the AI consistently rack up crits and land inaccurate attacks, while mine always missed and never landed a crit, and all other luck-based mechanics bending to benefit the AI, I'm telling you, that's how they up the difficulty, by skewing the RNG mechanics. It's easier than making smarter AI. Tvtropes talks about it in their "false difficulty" page too. It's infamous, and very hated. I'm getting angry just thinking about how frustrating that mechanic is. It's cheap. It's not the only cheating the NPC's do; in Gen 2 Lance's Aerodactyl famously had Rock Slide even though Aerodactyl couldn't learn Rock Slide until Gen 3. I think that was a mistake though, and that Aerodactyl was supposed to be able to learn Rock Slide, but some lazy butt forgot to make it one of Aerodactyl's learned moves.

Last edited:
No, but the Pokedex does directly say that it appears, uses T-Wave and leaves. And actually, not all wild AI is random; in GSC and HGSS the legendary beasts frequently choose to use roar to make it harder to catch them. In fact it's usually their next move after they immediately try to flee.
But the majority is still random, with little regard to species, & the few times where they make exceptions (Like Johto's 3 Legendary Beasts Roar-ing if trapped to get out of the battle.) shouldn't give credit to all the wild Pokemon all having the same AI.
Obviously, but they do usually use random moves. Magnemite is notable for having a pretty limited move pool. Magneton mostly got used because its typing and Magnet Pull made it a solid counter to Pokémon like Skarmory, who was arguably the best physical wall several gens running (hence the infamous Skarmory/Blissey defensive core designed to stall forever), was the premier spiker, and heavily competed with Pokémon like Suicune for the title of best phazer. Can't ignore the power of Metagross either. To support this, Magneton wasn't good until it got Magnet Pull.

Its limited move pool really dragged it down.
Relevance?
That's how competitive players, & by extension, player controlled Pokemon trainers used it.
Trainers generally choose moves based on damage calculations, but they don't switch. You can use Perish Song, switch out, and then wait for them to run down the clock even though they could switch.
Yes. But obviously, those are also Pokemon Trainers, which aren't involved in this match. So, relevance?

Most trainers have fully random AI, but some come very close, or are mostly random, with behaviour often varying by trainer classes. Such behaviour can make it hard to believe they're "human" at times.
Having beaten some post-game battle modes, and beaten the big console tournament challenges on higher difficulties and on higher levels, and been driven to near insanity watching the AI consistently rack up crits and land inaccurate attacks, while mine always missed and never landed a crit, and all other luck-based mechanics bending to benefit the AI, I'm telling you, that's how they up the difficulty, by skewing the RNG mechanics. It's easier than making smarter AI. Tvtropes talks about it in their "false difficulty" page too. It's infamous, and very hated. I'm getting angry just thinking about how frustrating that mechanic is. It's cheap. It's not the only cheating the NPC's do; in Gen 2 Lance's Aerodactyl famously had Rock Slide even though Aerodactyl couldn't learn Rock Slide until Gen 3. I think that was a mistake though, and that Aerodactyl was supposed to be able to learn Rock Slide, but some lazy butt forgot to make it one of Aerodactyl's learned moves.
Kudos to your experience & the claim about TV Tropes.
& it is sound logic that having cheating AI is easier than making it smarter.
I could believe it's true, but not only am I skeptical, I'd argue you're presenting hearsay; Even if TV Tropes, your source to back up your personal experience, claims so, we need some kind of clear documentation.
& moveset errors & trainers having Pokemon with illegal levels/evolutionary stages or illegal moves -1 of many examples-, while a demonstration of cheating, also isn't definitive proof.

But the majority is still random, with little regard to species, & the few times where they make exceptions (Like Johto's 3 Legendary Beasts Roar-ing if trapped to get out of the battle.) shouldn't give credit to all the wild Pokemon all having the same AI.
Pokedex states that they frequently use T-Wave as soon as they appear, as listed above.
Relevance?
That's how competitive players, & by extension, player controlled Pokemon trainers used it.
Relevance is that Magneton is particularly notable for not having many moves available. Combine that with a Pokedex entry directly stating that it uses T-Wave first a lot, and that's likely its opening move, and it doesn't have a lot for follow up. Question is, what is its second move. We know Penny has a very hate-hate relationship with magnetism, and Magnemite certainly has that. I guess we need to see its canonical intelligence, if it will observe that T-Wave is useless and try something different.
Yes. But obviously, those are also Pokemon Trainers, which aren't involved in this match. So, relevance?
You're talking about in-game AI, which is infamously basic, and tracks with the AI of the wild Pokémon. It's secondary info to the Pokedex entry, but it still exists.
Most trainers have fully random AI, but some come very close, or are mostly random, with behaviour often varying by trainer classes. Such behaviour can make it hard to believe they're "human" at times.
They're not random. They generally attack with moves that do the best damage for the target, but no strategy beyond those simple calculations. Wild Pokémon are even worse, usually just using a random move.

Pokedex states that they frequently use T-Wave as soon as they appear, as listed above.
I did indeed post those Pokedex entries.
But I'm not sure the Pokedex providing limited info makes using the questionable, if not often contradictory AI behaviour acceptable.
Relevance is that Magneton is particularly notable for not having many moves available.
Technically, it's Magnemite in this matchup, & Magneton has its own entries we could consult for behavioural reference.
Combine that with a Pokedex entry directly stating that it uses T-Wave first a lot, and that's likely its opening move, and it doesn't have a lot for follow up. Question is, what is its second move. We know Penny has a very hate-hate relationship with magnetism, and Magnemite certainly has that. I guess we need to see its canonical intelligence, if it will observe that T-Wave is useless and try something different.
I'd also like to know this, though I'm not sure.
It could be inferred it'd reason not to try something electrical again, maybe.

Also, IDK the details of Penny's "hate-hate relationship with magnetism"; How has she respond to it on past occasions of exposure to it?
You're talking about in-game AI, which is infamously basic, and tracks with the AI of the wild Pokémon. It's secondary info to the Pokedex entry, but it still exists.
Because you brought it up.
They're not random. They generally attack with moves that do the best damage for the target, but no strategy beyond those simple calculations. Wild Pokémon are even worse, usually just using a random move.
I do know that wild Pokemon, according to game mechanics at least, use moves at random, even when that's nonsensical.
In theory, a wild Pokemon could do absurd things like Final Gambit at low HP against a Ghost-type, or use Heal Pulse on a Pokemon it's nearly defeated, even if these would be totally OoC in the situation.

I did indeed post those Pokedex entries.
But I'm not sure the Pokedex providing limited info makes using the questionable, if not often contradictory AI behaviour acceptable.
It's actually the other way around. The Pokedex entry gives us this info, and the AI doesn't contradict it and in a way even supports it. Not that opening with T-Wave is actually a bad move normally; it's actually pretty common in competitive play, so it must have something going for it.
Technically, it's Magnemite in this matchup, & Magneton has its own entries we could consult for behavioural reference.
I guess we could, but isn't Magneton much smarter?
I'd also like to know this, though I'm not sure.
It could be inferred it'd reason not to try something electrical again, maybe.
The reason for the AI being a concern is that we have a Pokédex entry saying Magnemite appears and uses T-Wave a lot, and other entries talking about it as its default electric move. This actually somewhat lines up with its paper-thin move pool. Throwing in the fact that most wild Pokémon AI basically throws everything at random with no rhyme or reason, it's hard to treat Magnemite as a strategist based on the games. We could search for intelligence and strategy feats in anime and manga. It's also worth noting that the ability Magnet Pull would passively restrict Penny's movements.
Also, IDK the details of Penny's "hate-hate relationship with magnetism"; How has she respond to it on past occasions of exposure to it?
Pyrrha ripped her apart with it and she basically shut down. A metaphor for what the writers did to the show after that, perhaps?
Because you brought it up.
Comparing trainer AI which actually calculates damage and then attacks with what it measures to be the best move, to wild AI which chooses its moves randomly. Clearly the devs deliberately implemented that almost counter-productive wild AI on purpose.
I do know that wild Pokemon, according to game mechanics at least, use moves at random, even when that's nonsensical.
In theory, a wild Pokemon could do absurd things like Final Gambit at low HP against a Ghost-type, or use Heal Pulse on a Pokemon it's nearly defeated, even if these would be totally OoC in the situation.
What's hilarious is when they use self-destruct or explosion against ghost-types.

Still, I'm not positing that Magnemite will sit there only using T-Wave until Penny slices it in half. I'm suggesting it will open with T-Wave. On the flip-side, that passive Magnet Pull will hinder Penny's movements and the movements of her blades.

Magnemite also makes frequent use of sound-based attacks like sonic boom and supersonic, and steel type moves are still a thing. Those combined with Magnet Pull could give Penny a hard time. The AP gap and lifting strength would allow her to overwhelm those though. Supersonic's confusion might be handy though.

Magnemite also makes frequent use of sound-based attacks like sonic boom and supersonic, and steel type moves are still a thing. Those combined with Magnet Pull could give Penny a hard time. The AP gap and lifting strength would allow her to overwhelm those though. Supersonic's confusion might be handy though.
So just in case, you voting Penny yet or are you still waiting for extra confirmation?

It's actually the other way around. The Pokedex entry gives us this info, and the AI doesn't contradict it and in a way even supports it. Not that opening with T-Wave is actually a bad move normally; it's actually pretty common in competitive play, so it must have something going for it.
The battles are made for game balance, not lore establishment.
Not to mention, the battles have conformed to Pokedex behaviour before, like with Wild Zangoose & Seviper in X & Y.
& while starting with T-Wave may be reasonable in many situations, I still don't think Competitive should be used as a reference for behaviour, seeing as how players play competitive in PvP isn't very canon.
I guess we could, but isn't Magneton much smarter?
Maybe?
Canonically, it's a rare occurence of 3 Magnemite combining. Not sure there's much basis they're smarter as a group. They may be uncoordinated.
The reason for the AI being a concern is that we have a Pokédex entry saying Magnemite appears and uses T-Wave a lot,
I wouldn't say "a lot". The entries say "Thunder Wave and so on" & "Thunder Wave and similar moves.".
and other entries talking about it as its default electric move. This actually somewhat lines up with its paper-thin move pool. Throwing in the fact that most wild Pokémon AI basically throws everything at random with no rhyme or reason, it's hard to treat Magnemite as a strategist based on the games.
As you know, I disagree with using the wild battles AI that's the same for the vast majority of species with few exceptions, & is an obvious abstraction.
You wanna tell me we should apply such random choosing to Pokemon like Metagross or Dodrio, which can be found in the wild & have intelligence feats?
We could search for intelligence and strategy feats in anime and manga.
Canon split says that while you could do that, it'd be irrelevant here.
It's also worth noting that the ability Magnet Pull would passively restrict Penny's movements.
@koopa3144 's previous argument against Magnemite's magnetism feat from the Pokedex has Penny ignore that via LS. She's Class M. Even if Magnemite is validly Class K, Penny could be dozens of times higher.
Magnet Pull, by that logic, is inconsequential.
Pyrrha ripped her apart with it and she basically shut down. A metaphor for what the writers did to the show after that, perhaps?
Ah.
Comparing trainer AI which actually calculates damage and then attacks with what it measures to be the best move, to wild AI which chooses its moves randomly. Clearly the devs deliberately implemented that almost counter-productive wild AI on purpose.
Most trainers, as mentioned, also have limited capacity for switching & behaviour that's homogenous among trainer classes who should vary in intelligence.
Trainers have better AI than wilds, but when all but maybe a few dozen wild 'mons go with "use moves at random", doing better than that is not a high benchmark, & their in-game behaviour may not align with what statements from or other info about those trainers would indicate.
What's hilarious is when they use self-destruct or explosion against ghost-types.
On this I agree.
But in theory, a very experienced Pokemon like we specify for matches could have eventually learned not do that; Self-Destruct/Explosion are not fatal.
Yet a wild Pokemon's randomly picking AI would do things contradicting such inferrable learnedness.
Still, I'm not positing that Magnemite will sit there only using T-Wave until Penny slices it in half. I'm suggesting it will open with T-Wave. On the flip-side, that passive Magnet Pull will hinder Penny's movements and the movements of her blades.
Disagree on the basis of the previously mentioned LS.
It'd definitely be resistant to her blades, especially if they're registered like Steel-type moves against Magnemite.
Magnemite also makes frequent use of sound-based attacks like sonic boom and supersonic,
It does have several in its movepool, so they're slightly likely.
and steel type moves are still a thing. Those combined with Magnet Pull could give Penny a hard time. The AP gap and lifting strength would allow her to overwhelm those though. Supersonic's confusion might be handy though.
What's Penny's travel/reaction speed?
Wouldn't Supersonic still just be speed of sound?
Admittedly, it might be hard for her to know when to dodge it, since sound is visible, radiates in wide cones & if you're hearing it, it's already too late.

Though, if we're going by gameplay, the self-hit chance for the Confusion status in recent games was changed from 50% to 1 in 3 chance.
Similarly, in recent games, Paralysis halves rather than quarters Speed.

Doing some research on Pokemon LS, there's this calc:

Apparently, a comment by @Ugarik in the comments lead to a re-calc, & seemingly, the result was revised to this:

EDIT: Since the Pokemon push the block we have to use friction instead. The block has two points of contact - the ceiling and the floor. Due to the Archimedes Principle there is a buoyant force causing the block to rise which is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid, but I don't think this applies as the block is wedged between the ceiling and floor. To put it in mathematical terms:

• Frictional force = friction coefficient * normal force. F = μN.
  • The normal force on the bottom surface = weight of block - weight of fluid displaced (weight - buoyant force)
  • The normal force on the top surface = weight of block + weight of fluid displaced (weight + buoyant force)
  • Therefore the total frictional force = 2μ * weight.
Friction coefficient of wet rock is 0.3 apparently. 0.3 * 2 * 262,749 = 157,649 kg.

Since this is Lifting Strength, this "157,649 kg" result is presumably 157,649 kg Kilograms of Force.
OP specified that:
Damn, Magnemite hasn't been used in a match for 4 years.

Well, I'm desperate so sure
No story here for now, can't really think of one
  • Atlas Penny and Magnemite used
  • Speed equalized
Atlas Penny is her 2nd Key, & her LS says this:
Lifting Strength: Class M (Lifted rocks with this much force[14]. Comparable to Lie Ren, who halted the force of a King Taijutu with his bare hands[20]) | Class G (Significantly stronger than her Beacon Arc self and can grapple with people on her level physically), higher with Maiden Powers (Able to lift Amity Colosseum[12])

IDK if her Maiden Powers are used here, but if it isn't we defer to the 1st calc.

The calc says:
12797148.7 Newtons, 1304.94 Tons of Force (Class M)

If I'm doing that right & that's Metric Tons of Force, that's 1,304,940 kg of force for Penny.

Whereas, if we assume Magnemite's LS (Magnetic or otherwise) scales to other Pokemon (Who can presumably learn & use Strength as per the feat, unlike Magnemite.), Magnemite only gets 157,649 kg Kilograms of Force.

1,304,940 / 157,649 = Penny is about 8.27750255 times higher in Lifting Strength, at best.

So part of me wonders if this is fair.

As OP says, Penny absorbs Electricity. & as @koopa3144 pointed out here:
So, Magnemite is weaker (1.450764818355640529 megatons vs 2.688133365200764846 Megatons of TNT) and Penny can absorb electricity which is Magnemite's main type when it comes to moves. Ngl I don't think Magnemite has much of a shot here.
Penny is about 1.85x times stronger in AP.

Also, Magnemite pulling Penny near magnetically, if it even could, isn't necessarily good, since she has electricity.
RubyMagnemite attaches itself to power lines to feed on electricity. If your house has a power outage, check your circuit breakers. You may find a large number of this Pokémon clinging to the breaker box.

Magnemite eats electricity. But if Penny's AP is higher, her rate of absorption may be higher (Magnemite doesn't have Volt Absorb or such itself either.) , so it could end up at a net loss if it went with its usual instincts, before it realizes it's getting drained.

So it's massively outlifted AT BEST, she absorbs Electricity....

Thunder Wave might not even function if she absorbs it, as mentioned.
Other options include:
Tackle, Supersonic, Gyro Ball, Spark (Technically an "electrically charged tackle".), Screech, Magnet Rise, Flash Cannon, Metal Sound & Lock On, Sonic Boom, Magnet Bomb, & Mirror Shot.

Sonic Boom may be dodgeable if Penny can perceive the shock wave, Mirror Shot is releasing a "flash of energy from the user's polished body" (The name is a 1 to 1 translation of ミラーショット which is just the English words "Mirror Shot" spelled phonetically in Japanese.), & Flash Cannon is Light Manipulation.

The best I can think of Magnemite doing is getting out of range (Can it even do so?) & spamming Screech/Metal Sound, maybe Sonic Boom (A shockwave likely isn't actually fixed damage, as that may be just game mechanics, but if so, Metal Sound doing -DEF Statistics Reduction could MAYBE make Sonic Boom's shock waves more damaging to Penny?), & then it could try... ramming her with Tackle, Spark, Magnet Bomb.

However, Magnemite would have to realize to play the range game when it trying to magnetically pull her or feed on her electricity would likely lead to getting close to the electricity absorber with an ~8.3x (Or more!) times Lifting Strength advantage.

Its Levitation may also be limited by that it does so with its Electromagnetic Waves, & Magnemite is stated to fail to Levitate when it has no Electricity; Even if Penny DIDN'T absorb Electricity from it, it may not be able to sustain Levitation long enough to play the range game.

So, questioning if this is a fair matchup.

Last edited:
It is hard when Penny is higher in AP, is immune to the majority of its damage-dealing moves, and is probably a bit smarter too. Penny has a clear advantage against electric types straight away with effectively the Volt Absorb ability. Magnemite is left with much of its movepool useless, including its best attacks, against an enemy that has more sheer power.

Maybe swap out Magnemite for a Pokémon with a different typing?

It is hard when Penny is higher in AP, is immune to the majority of its damage-dealing moves, and is probably a bit smarter too. Penny has a clear advantage against electric types straight away with effectively the Volt Absorb ability. Magnemite is left with much of its movepool useless, including its best attacks, against an enemy that has more sheer power.

Maybe swap out Magnemite for a Pokémon with a different typing?
To Magnemite's credit, if Penny using metal stuff registered as Steel-type moves, Magnemite would 4x Resist it, taking 4x less damage.
IDK how readily Penny would start using other kinds of offense.

To Magnemite's credit, if Penny using metal stuff registered as Steel-type moves, Magnemite would 4x Resist it, taking 4x less damage.
IDK how readily Penny would start using other kinds of offense.
Yeah, I notice we're talking about weaknesses without talking about resists. Technically if Penny was a Pokémon she'd be a steel-type, and every attack she has apart from her lasers would be either steel or normal.

Yeah, I notice we're talking about weaknesses without talking about resists. Technically if Penny was a Pokémon she'd be a steel-type, and every attack she has apart from her lasers would be either steel or normal.
I do apologize if I left anything out.

There is her moves possibly being Steel or Normal or other resisted types, but if I'm doing my math right, her being 1.85x stronger; At worst, she's hitting at 0.46125 times Magnemite's strength (Slightly less than half.), & she may have a skill/intelligence advantage.
As mentioned, possible skill/intelligence advantages.
But as I mentioned, Penny outlifts, so unless we're assuming LS for or against Magnetism differ from physical strength LS, Magnemite's magnetism doesn't help when she's around 8 times higher in LS.
Penny heals off Electricity, Magnemite only feeds on it, & Penny has higher AP, so she's probably superior in that regard.
IDK if Penny can eat Electromagnetic Wave, but as Magnemite levitates, IIRC & AFAIK, by the repulsive force against the ground those waves provide, eating them could interfere with the levitation, maybe? Unless it just repels off of Penny or something, IDK?
As mentioned earlier, if the LS applies to magnetism, Magnet Pull & such don't help Magnemite, especially when Penny can just rip it apart with her hands by LS. & even if it doesn't apply to magnetism, getting close is bad for Magnetism, since I'm sure she should be able to absorb its electricity if she's at touch range to heal.

I haven't checked the Range or such so IDK how they match up.

But other than the potential resistances, Magnemite's only advantages that I can think of are:

1. A limited form of levitation, which it has to sustain with electromagnetic waves/its own electricity using the units at its sides or it'll land & be motionless.
2. Screech, Metal Sound, & Supersonic are Sound-based moves (& Sonic Boom is based on shockwaves.) so they may be hard to avoid; It may not be easy to see them & they'd likely take effect on being heard. But that assumes Magnemite puts them to good use. (& also in newer games, Confusion status self-hit chance is 1 in 3.)
3. Projectiles in the form of Mirror Shot, Magnet Bomb, Flash Cannon & Sonic Boom. (Unless Penny has projectiles of her own, IDK if she does or not.)
4. Potential Speed control with Thunder Wave... unless Penny absorbs that. & if not, it's still only halving Speed.

Like I said previously, this match seems lopsided against Magnemite. Penny is higher in AP, LS, & likely Skill/Intelligence, & absorbs Electricity -& may be able to heal off of Magnemite's basic means of motion, that being electromagnetic levitation- so Magnemite has to not use an Electric move, & without prior knowledge, it's likely it'll try it AT LEAST once before realizing what's up, if ever.

Point is, while there are a few good things for Magnemite, I think most things are against its favor.

It might be better to replace Magnemite with Sandshrew, Charmander or Staryu. Something like that. Something doesn't rely on electricity to attack.

Last edited:
Problem is that Eevee is a very limited Pokemon without exolving
I mean I wouldn't say Eevee is that limited in a VS Match. It does have things like its Social Influencing/Statistics Reduction moves and Power Mimicry with Copycat along with many other moves that could be useful.
and I'm not sure Ralts can use telepathy on Penny given she's a machine.
Telepathy works on mechanical Pokémon so it should work on Penny.

So starters, Penny still has the AP and skill advantage although Ralts has away to reduce stats. Idk how Trace is gonna interact with Penny's powers here. It might give Ralts Maiden Powers or it might not do anything at all depending on what would be considered equivalent to a Pokemon ability. But besides Trace, moves such as Growl and Disarming Voice which play off the opponents emotions are probably gonna be effective on Penny, also Destiny Bond is a good way to cause incon if Ralts is about to faint.

Back