• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Particle Style Reexamination: It's Not Macro-Quantum Guys

Introduction:​

I’ve been delving into how Particle Style actually functions for a while now and I believe I figured out how the ability mechanically works. With this, a reexamination is required, as the current explanation on the profiles doesn't fully encapsulate how the ability truly works.

Particle Style, how does it function?​

In this section, I will explain how I believe Particle Style works, specifically how it achieves its effect of deconstructing objects down to molecules.

We must start off with the primary piece of evidence used to substantiate Particle Style’ ability to deconstruct matter down to the molecular level. It’s stated in the databooks, specifically databook four, that Particle Style disintegrates the target down to the molecular level, which further supported by Onoki’s claim of Particle Style reducing objects to a “near-molecular level.” With this, I believe the assertion of Particle Style decomposing objects down to such a minute degree is fine and contextually supported.

However, there is an issue that isn’t addressed or really acknowledged by the profiles. In the databook scan used, we’re given a statement that Particle Style can decompose any Ninja Tools or Ninjutsu. This is a problem because Lightning Style, which is accepted as possessing similar qualities as actual lightning, such as having an electrical discharge and by consequence a composition of electrons that carry the discharge, is thus entailed to be constructed of subatomic particles that exist below the molecular level. The sentiment is carried throughout the series, we have an interesting statement made by Tsunade that Onoki is the only one capable of standing up to Mu, the Second Tsuchikage, because only Particle Style can cancel out another’s usage of Particle Style. The statement was made under the context of the Raikage being there, the same Raikage who can cloak himself in Lightning Style that explicitly projects across his entire body, making an interpretation of Mu only being a threat because he could sneak attack him through a blind spot, completely unsubstantiated.

So we have an issue here. If it’s accepted that it only decomposes things to a molecular level, how can it decompose objects which explicitly aren’t constructed of molecules like Lightning Style? I believe the solution here is rather quite simple actually. I’ll explain the solution below to make the thread more digestible.

Solution:​

Continuing from above, I believe the solution for our problem is rather simple: In all the explanations we’re given, there are two forms of evidence that point to my conclusion being the most correct.

In the first form of evidence: Databook Four’s description of Particle Style explains how the ability functions in a more direct manner, and to exactly quote; “A box of destruction that disintegrates to the roots of the material and eliminates the leftovers.”

It’s explained that Particle Style works by reducing an object down to its root materials, its bare necessities, and further eliminates anything remaining after the decomposition has occurred. I believe what we’re supposed to infer here is that Particle Style has two states of action, the initial is decomposition and the sequential one is some form of destruction that destroys anything left behind after it was deconstructed.

With this, the next form of evidence further concretes this interpretation is as follows.

In the second form of evidence: Anytime Onoki uses Particle Style in combat, the language used is one that implies the structure in question is getting atomically dismantled. It’s not reducing them to atoms, but is rather breaking apart the atomic bonds that hold molecules together. I think this is consistently portrayed and would address a substantial contradiction in Onoki’s claims if we only assume it’s molecularly deconstructing objects without interacting at all with the atomic bonds that structure them.

With both evidential points addressed and explained, this is how I feel the ability works, explained in a condensed manner.

"Particle Style works by atomically dismantling the bonds between molecules to reduce an object down to molecules. After this process has been completed, the object is then destroyed through an ultimately unexplained effect, but one that is capable of destroying energy like the electrical discharge of Lightning Style."

With this explanation it would address how Lightning Style is decomposed, which is by atomically breaking apart the Plasmid body of the lightning, and it would address how the energy is destroyed without it contradicting Onoki’s statement, which is through an unknown, but powerful effect that destroys energy through a process distinct from decomposition.

Conclusion:​

In conclusion, Particle Style needs a new explanation (which I will give later) and Power Nullification through its ability to destroy energy separate from its ability to decompose matter.

Voting:​

Agree:

Disagree:

Neutral:

Last edited:
I mean, it seems logical, however as a certified opponent of the Naruto verse (despite my lack of disagreements on Naruto threads) I'm going to half to disagree... I mean agree (Begrudgingly)

I'm mostly neutral but leaning to disagree on this. I can see where you're coming from for your conclusion but I think you're conflating two pieces of evidence.

There's the statement of:

But when it comes to the part about the jutsu & Ninja Tools, it says:

"Since it disintegrates the target it comes in contact with to a molecular level, any defence with ninja tools or ninjutsu is impossible."

It doesn't attribute some additional level of destruction for this, but simply disintegrating at the molecular level is what make defence impossible. What that means to me is that even if you did have jutsu like an earth wall, a fireball, lightning armor, or even the Susano'o - none of them would survive being hit by something that disintegrates at the molecular level; regardless of if they're made of atoms, electrons or pure energy, etc.

The databook is providing an explanation for why they wouldn't work as defence, but you seem to be extrapolating your own explanation for it.

Last edited:
Back