• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Paper Shredding (Mario Profile Revision)

Paper Mario's inclusion in the standard Mario profile has been a bizarre thing, especially for people who use this site in debates outside of this wiki.
The current explanation for Paper Mario's inclusion in the profile is based on the following statement on the Mario page:
"Despite the confusion of the Mario Bros franchise canon due to its 5th installment of the Mario and Luigi series, Paper Jam, several games such as Super Mario 64 DS, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 5, and other installment has made several connections to the Paper Mario franchise which establish the series to be part of the same verse. It should be noted that the Paper Mario series has made several connections to other games as well with an interview of the creator confirming that the overall franchise having no canon to speak of. As such, the character that appears in the Paper Mario series is still the same character from other installments."

However, I am here to prove that the two Marios are different Marios.

Argument 1: No canon to speak of.

Having no canon doesn't mean as much as you would think at first glance. Several games could safely be considered as non-canon, at least to the extent that they should not be included in a discussion of the "timeline" of Mario games, namely games such as Mario Teaches Typing and other such games. There also is a clear distinction between other media related to Mario, such as the Super Mario Brothers Super Show and the video games. I do not propose that Paper Mario is a different continuity, I propose that he is simply an alternate version of Mario, as this is heavily implied throughout the game, as he did come from "another world". This would fit within the idea there is no canon to speak of and explain why they appear as separate characters in Paper Jam. Speaking of which...

Argument 2: The Paper style simply being a storytelling method.

A rebuttal I have heard commonly on this wiki is that Paper Mario is canonically a storybook, and the paper styling is simply a medium for it. This is proven false in literally the first 30 seconds of the first Paper Mario game starting, where Bowser alters the book by using tape to write himself into it. This wouldn't matter if it wasn't for the fact that it was actual tape, along with the fact he altered the story book.
Another instance of this is when in the same game, Mario is unharmed by a large fall because he simply floated down due to him being made of paper, and again in a dungeon where Mario can acquire a 1 Up by slipping through a small crack on the side of the cell due to him being made out of paper.
Water is seen as deadly as it supposedly melts anyone who touches it, people make constant references to the fact that they are their surroundings consist of paper, and the Origiami King practically proves it as the entire game revolves around the fact that origami exists.

Conclusion

I propose that the feats and abilities and such sources from Paper Mario games be removed, and added to the page we have on Paper Mario from Paper Jam.
Thank you for your time.

This was already agreed upon I think but if you want to do all the work for it by all means go ahead.

Just wondering, where was Mario unharmed by falling down in the original? Was it when he fell into the cell in Koopa Bros. Tower?

Same with the 1-up cell moment, I’d like context for that.

Okay two things:

one, I agree with the profile split, but you are missing a lot of evidence for why. Like the entirety of Paper Jam, Mario Party 5 directly showcasing the continuity differences with the Star Spirits having a completely different role and origin, and SM64DS doesn’t actually support them being the same beyond King Goomba being there, alongside the consistent treatment of the verse as paper

Two, I think it was actually already agreed upon to split Mario & Paper Mario in a prior thread, the change has just been put on ice for… some reason, I don’t remember why. But it just hasn’t occured yet.

this thread might revive interest in the split though, I think it’s incredibly important and one of the biggest current issues with Mario profiles rn lol

I agree, naturally, but I do think waiting for more supporting evidence is for the best (like the Star Spirits in MP5 being completely different).

Oh yeah, how exactly would this affect the Pure Hearts' tiering? IIRC they were only 2-B because of the assumption that they'd destroy the Dream Depot, does that still apply here?

I agree, naturally, but I do think waiting for more supporting evidence is for the best (like the Star Spirits in MP5 being completely different).

Oh yeah, how exactly would this affect the Pure Hearts' tiering? IIRC they were only 2-B because of the assumption that they'd destroy the Dream Depot, does that still apply here?
I could probably pull together a handful of things if it’s needed.

There’d have to be some debate on that. Iirc, there was arguments that they have the same cosmology / share a cosmology, or that the Void would have eventually broken out of the book, I’m a little iffy on it myself.

the absolute barest minimum the Void could be dropped to is 2C

I meannnn, if Paper Mario is just "another world" in canon, I think that's grounds for sharing a cosmology.
Yeah, there’s probably two solid ways to look at it.

1. The Void would eventually break out of the book and destroy mainline cosmology

2. Since Paper Mario & Mainline Mario share a lot of cosmological & character aspects, Paperverse could just have its own Dream Depot equivalent.

Or you could argue that the first 3 games are a separate era, given they all tie into each other and share very little in common with the following titles in terms of the paper theme.

I propose that the feats and abilities and such sources from Paper Mario games be removed, and added to the page we have on Paper Mario from Paper Jam.

The paper mario from paper jam is explicitly a different person than the mario in mario & luigi, who is stated to be the same as paper mario. The paper mario from the paper mario games should get his own profile because his physiology is different and so are his abilities and stats, but it shouldn't be combined with paper jam's

The paper mario from paper jam is explicitly a different person than the mario in mario & luigi, who is stated to be the same as paper mario. The paper mario from the paper mario games should get his own profile because his physiology is different and so are his abilities and stats, but it shouldn't be combined with paper jam's
How does this prove Mario is the same as Paper Mario?

Paper Mario being same as normal Mario technically did have precedence in earlier games, but it is kinda obvious that this was retconned via Paper Jam at latest. The fact that later Paper games make a big deal about world being made of craft material isn't really a thing in other sub-series.

The room with references to other games' blocks isn't really a substantial point to favor that in canon only Paper Jam Mario is radically different from normal Mario.

Paper Mario being same as normal Mario technically did have precedence in earlier games, but it is kinda obvious that this was retconned via Paper Jam at latest. The fact that later Paper games make a big deal about world being made of craft material isn't really a thing in other sub-series.

The room with references to other games' blocks isn't really a substantial point to favor that in canon only Paper Jam Mario is radically different from normal Mario.
This is like saying Mario being polygonal in 64 canonically or pixelated in the 2D games means its non canon, they were turned into paper as mentioned in the back of the box in Thousand Year Door and the nintendo official magazine February 2006 issue. Its not a retcon, Superstar Saga 3D was released after Paper Jam. The one in Paper Jam could be a different paper mario, sort of like how there's more than 1 mario and bowser

Just wondering, where was Mario unharmed by falling down in the original? Was it when he fell into the cell in Koopa Bros. Tower?

Same with the 1-up cell moment, I’d like context for that.
I am unable to provide gameplay as of this moment, but I am referring to when Mario was at his house near the beginning (that is, after he went to peach's castle to be beaten by bowser). A balcony broke, and he floated down like a leaf.

With the 1-up Cell, it was in the area east of the main town, past the forest, in the fortress. Mario is capable of slipping through a near invisible gap int he wall to get a 1-Up.

Okay two things:

one, I agree with the profile split, but you are missing a lot of evidence for why. Like the entirety of Paper Jam, Mario Party 5 directly showcasing the continuity differences with the Star Spirits having a completely different role and origin, and SM64DS doesn’t actually support them being the same beyond King Goomba being there, alongside the consistent treatment of the verse as paper

Two, I think it was actually already agreed upon to split Mario & Paper Mario in a prior thread, the change has just been put on ice for… some reason, I don’t remember why. But it just hasn’t occured yet.

this thread might revive interest in the split though, I think it’s incredibly important and one of the biggest current issues with Mario profiles rn lol
As I do not have experience with source (or any) editing on Fandom, I am unable to perform the split. However I will try to get someone else to do it.
This is like saying Mario being polygonal in 64 canonically or pixelated in the 2D games means its non canon, they were turned into paper as mentioned in the back of the box in Thousand Year Door and the nintendo official magazine February 2006 issue. Its not a retcon, Superstar Saga 3D was released after Paper Jam. The one in Paper Jam could be a different paper mario, sort of like how there's more than 1 mario and bowser
To be fair, they never had made non-easter egg references to them being polygonal or pixilated in those games, while more than half the paper Mario games have mechanics or the entire plot centralized around this fact

The games make it clear that it's normal for things to be paper (they never mention being "turned into paper" which wouldn't make sense), and the world and characters being paper is important to the scenario and various things in the Paper Mario series.

It's not the case for the 2D and 64 games. You don't see people remove polygons to stop Mario in his path.

The games make it clear that it's normal for things to be paper (they never mention being "turned into paper" which wouldn't make sense), and the world and characters being paper is important to the scenario and various things in the Paper Mario series.

It's not the case for the 2D and 64 games. You don't see people remove polygons to stop Mario in his path.
But we have a confirmation they were canonically pixelated/polygonal that you didn't address

This is proven false in literally the first 30 seconds of the first Paper Mario game starting, where Bowser alters the book by using tape to write himself into it. This wouldn't matter if it wasn't for the fact that it was actual tape, along with the fact he altered the story book.
What? Taping a piece of paper to a book doesn't change the contents of the book. It is just a silly way to show what happened.
Mario is unharmed by a large fall because he simply floated down due to him being made of paper
first what is the proof he was unharmed by the fall and I think that could have been cinematic timing he started falling pretty fast.
Mario can acquire a 1 Up by slipping through a small crack on the side of the cell due to him being made out of paper.
Then why doesn't he just walk thru the bars here
73987-184.png

Water is seen as deadly as it supposedly melts anyone who touches it,
BigBlooper.png

tumblr_mhzog5AN1x1rrftcdo1_400.gifv

people make constant references to the fact that they are their surroundings consist of paper, and the Origiami King practically proves it as the entire game revolves around the fact that origami exists.
I mean paper Mario breaks the fourth wall a lot

I mean, the thing with the block and it being " from past adventures " is probably just a little jab at the Paper Mario games with not a lot of substance to it.
It's like Kirby having a rare Golden Mario Statue in Kirby Super Star when you use the Stone ability, or Mario appearing at the end of the credits in that game while doing a pose ( iirc ). He also appears in the background of some minigames in it.
You wouldn't say their universes are the same though, this is just a reference/easter egg.

Back