• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overwatch Genji / Hanzo Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Genji and Hanzo should get a higher tier for their AP via summoning.

As we know both Genji and Hanzo can summon spirit dragons for their Ultimates. In the Dragons cinematic, we also hear of two dragons that uphold harmony in the heavens.

Eventually these two dragons fight, and one sends the other down to Earth, shattering the land.

Given that the land they rule over contains more than ten mountains it'd be fair to put them at High 7-A. They also darken the skies while fighting and they casually rule both the land and the heavens simultaneously.

bec2c68056c6abf17fd352c031f8c51a3510216d_hq.jpg

Whenever Genji uses Dragonblade, he summons a dragon that his attacks for a short time. His ability is described to let him deliver killing strikes to others while active. Whenever Hanzo uses Dragonstrike, he summons two dragons that shred through heroes. It's clear that these dragons are more powerful than the heroes so it's not like anyone scales.

Now there might be doubt to whether Genji and Hanzo are actually summoning the dragons of the North Wind and of the South Wind, however several of their voicelines confirm this.
  • When Genji's ultimate is ready, he says "The dragon and I are one."
  • When Hanzo uses his Sonic Arrow, he says "Marked by the dragon," or "See through the dragon's eyes."
  • When Hanzo uses his ultimate, he says "The dragon consumes my enemies!"
  • When Hanzo gets a kill with his ultimate, he says "The dragon is sated," or "The dragon consumes.
  • During the setup Hanzo can say "The dragon awakens."
  • When he's doing well in combat he can say "The dragon rages within me," or "The dragon stirs within me!"
  • When he's damage boosted he say "The dragon awakens."
  • When he gets a multikill he says "The dragon hungers."
  • When his ultimate is ready, he says "I am ready to unleash the dragon!"
  • One of his purchasable quotes is "I choose you, spirit dragon."
  • One of his Overwatch Anniversary quotes is "You do not want to rouse the dragon."
In fact, Genji even says
  • Ryūjin no ken wo kurae! (Taste the blade of Ryūjin!)

Ryujin is a sea god in Japanese mythology. He is able to shapeshift into a human (something Hanzo's dragon does), is a bringer of rain and thunder (something both Genji and Hanzo's dragons do), and is a patron god of family groups (whereas Genji and Hanzo are both in one).

So it's clear these dragons are High 7-A and are indeed summoned by Genji and Hanzo. The only other issue I can think of is Hanzo summons multiple dragons, but instead of calling them by name as Genji does, he calls them "spirit dragon(s)" and is unleashing "the dragon" whenever he uses his ultimate, which I think means he's unleashing the power of the dragon.

Tl;dr both Genji and Hanzo have ultimates where they have High 7-A summons. Nobody scales, but they should each get a higher tier on their profiles.

Also I'm don't know how to put tags. If someone could help and put Overwatch, Genji and Hanzo I'd appreciate it.

As much as I like overwatch.
I don't really think that's an reasonable upgrade.
At least because the dragon story is more likely a myth and Genji with Hanzo are just ironically similar to that myth(like Hanzo tells Genji: "Real life is not like stories our father told us. You must be fool for believing it."). It was something like, ironic comparison of what happened in myth and what happened with Hanzo and Genji.
And other statements/Genji's phrases are seems more like a metaphors.
Since this is an overwatch thread and there's nothing planned to discuss about Overwatch I'll just remind that Hammond feat wasn't yet concluded.

Last edited:
As much as I like overwatch.
I don't really think that's an reasonable upgrade.
At least because the dragon story is more likely a myth and Genji with Hanzo are just ironically similar to that myth(like Hanzo tells Genji: "Real life is not like stories our father told us. You must be fool for believing it."). It was something like, ironic comparison of what happened in myth and what happened with Hanzo and Genji.
And other statements/Genji's phrases are seems more like a metaphors.
Since this is an overwatch thread and there's nothing planned to discuss about Overwatch I'll just remind that Hammond feat wasn't yet concluded.
How would it be both a myth and something Genji references as reality? And Hanzo is saying Genji is a fool for thinking their lives are like the stories they were told when they were younger, he's not saying he's a fool for believing in fake stories. Referring to something as a story doesn't mean it didn't happen.

On top of that the Shimada family has access to supernatural dragons, it's one of their main things. You're using Hanzo to disprove the dragons when Hanzo himself says "only a Shimada can control the dragons." Please explain how their voice lines are metaphors because simply saying it's such doesn't prove it.

The Hammond feat really shouldn't be talked about in this thread.

...Dude its hyperbolic, its a legend that fancifies the fight Genji and Hanzo had that lead to Gebji nearly dying and becoming a cyborg

All of the evaluations and feats of Overwatch characters outside of the Animated Shorts all originated from the mechanics in-game, which presumably are game mechanics that shouldn't be applied to power scaling.

All of the feats we currenntly use to scale the characters come exclusively from cinematics actually
Really? Has Hanzo fought Winston before? Has Brigette encountered Roadhog and Junkrat before?

"Dude its hyperbolic, its a legend that fancifies the fight Genji and Hanzo had that lead to Gebji nearly dying and becoming a cyborg"
It's not because it can't be both a legend to explain their situation and a story they're told before their situation even happens. And again, Genji addresses it as reality.

"All of the evaluations and feats of Overwatch characters outside of the Animated Shorts all originated from the mechanics in-game, which presumably are game mechanics that shouldn't be applied to power scaling."
This isn't an evaluation or a feat so you made no point here

"All of the feats we currenntly use to scale the characters come exclusively from cinematics actually"
On Genji's profile it says "Able to keep up with Tracer and regularly sparred with her" whereas the sparring comes from in-game dialogue.

"We had an entire CRT that removed all in-game stuff from the overwatch profiles that wasnt directly supportd in the lore"
Sure you can remove the scaling between characters that obv aren't as powerful as one another, but you can't cut out in-verse lore that the game shows just because it's not an animated short. Being presented in a different medium =/= non-canon

Something being a story doesn't mean it didn't happen and that metaphors comment has been addressed. There's no legitimate argument against the upgrades besides you guys not wanting it so why would we disregard this

It's not because it can't be both a legend to explain their situation and a story they're told before their situation even happens. And again, Genji addresses it as reality.

This isn't an evaluation or a feat so you made no point here

On Genji's profile it says "Able to keep up with Tracer and regularly sparred with her" whereas the sparring comes from in-game dialogue.

Sure you can remove the scaling between characters that obv aren't as powerful as one another, but you can't cut out in-verse lore that the game shows just because it's not an animated short. Being presented in a different medium =/= non-canon

Something being a story doesn't mean it didn't happen and that metaphors comment has been addressed. There's no legitimate argument against the upgrades besides you guys not wanting it so why would we disregard this
1. Genji never actually told somewhere that this legend is true. Even if he meant something like that we doesn't have enough prove for it. Like I understand that "The absence of evidence is not the eviedence of absence " but still regardless you need more proofs for it being true. Otherwise it's an outlier.

2. Yes and no. It's pretty situational from what eviedence must be taken. There's some in-game feats and at same time some outside of game feats.

3. What I said above.

4. Again what I said above.

5. In first place a question: How do you come to conclusion that dragons Genji and Hanzo Projects are comparable to dragons from mythology?

Last edited:
It seems like this has been rejected. Should we close this thread?

In my opinion: yeah pretty much, since there is(Hammond pod, some animation feats) and there probably soon(Blizcon event) would be a more other important feats to discuss.

The writer was previously asked in an interview whether the dragons were magic, and he answered that it is not magic (the link for the article though unforutanetly it is down, though the relevant part was previously Google translated from Thai):
4. In the world of Overwatch, we have seen the many advanced developments of science that have been used by heroes. But we wondered how Hanzo 's deadly dragon, like the Dragonstrike , released two dragons. Is it magic or something ?

Michael Chu & Renaud Galand : (Laughing laugh) It’s not magic.

If the 'spirit dragons' used by the heirs of an ancient ninja clan are not magic, then it appears that Overwatch is a hard sci-fi verse. So mystical-looking stuff are bound to get lame convoluted explanations, like the Shimada dragons being hard-light constructs made from high-tech nanomachines in tattoos/sword, Reaper being genetically modified to constantly generate biotic energy (which causes either healing or decay in biological matter) and he doesn't actually eat souls like he claims, etc.

So they are being hyperbolic. It was confirmed that character interactions/dialogue during gameplay isn't neccessarily canon, and some in-game abilities (like Zenyatta's Orb of Harmony ability and Orb of Discord ability) are confirmed to be non-canon; so we pretty much have the cinematics and short stories for scaling.

Okay. So is it fine if I close this or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back