• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord Speed Upgrade

So, until a while ago, Ainz, Brain and Shalltear had their speeds as "possibly FTL" because Brain's attack was stated to be faster than light.

However, that was a hyperbole, so their speeds got downgraded. But when i was reading the Overlord LN again, i found this:

"An opening!

With his sword restrained, Ainz had no way to avoid the Spuit Lance.

Shalltear, who was about to swing her Spuit Lance with the speed of light, saw a surprising scene."

This happens in Volume 3, chapter 5 of the Light Novel.

So, Shalltear was stated to have SoL attack speed. This is also more credible than the one with Brain, because the novel shows that before meeting Shalltear, Brain was extremely overconfident, believing to have reached the peak of human potential when it comes to speed, and thinking that nothing could be faster. Which is proven false by Shalltear. However, in this case, this is the first time someone from Nazarick went all-out, and the residents of Nazarick have been shown again and again to be massively superior to everything in the New World.

So, is this also considered a hyperbole or is it legit?

Note: If this upgrade does happen, i should clarify something: This does not scale to Ainz or Brain, because Shalltear is way faster than them. This only scales to Mare, Cocytus ( the difference in their speeds is minimal), Sebas, Aura and Pandora's Actor ( who are faster than her ), none of which have pages here.

NotEvenHuman said:
This only scales to Mare, Cocytus ( the difference in their speeds is minimal), Sebas and Pandora's Actor ( who are both faster than her ), none of which have pages here.
I was thinking on make them a page, at least for Pandora, but due of the lack of feats, i'm not so sure what tier he should be rated...

Also, IIRC, Ainz wasn't blitzed or something like that (which should not be reasonable, because the stats are High Hypersonic vs SoL)

@KamiYasha That's why i said attack speed. Not to mention that they spent the majority of the fight just throwing spells at each other, and when Shalltear decided to go for H2H, Ainz wasn't able to dodge, and barely managed to dodge her clone, until he changed his class. Also, the High Hypersonic comes from scaling from an arguably casual Albedo, so it's entirely possible that HH is not Ainz limit ( it probably isn't ).

What you're forgetting is that Ainz didn't bring his actual good armor to that fight whereas Shalltear was decked out in some pretty nice gear. Ainz is at least faster than Cocytus, who is described as a "tanky" character. Cocytus' stats reflect this.

Also, all the main NPCs besides the Pleiades shown are at level 100, so there shouldn't be much of a speed difference. The reason why Shalltear is fearsome as a combatant isn't because of her high stats in one single area, it is because she is a generalist with the highest combined base stats compared to the other NPCs. If anything, Sebas should be faster than her on martial merit alone.

As for the Hyperbole, I still think it is pretty iffy, especially since it seems a lot more descriptive than anything else. We also were hammered for nine volumes with the message that humans stats are inferior to demihumans, so it wouldn't make sense to include Brain's quotes into this type of argument.

@Alakabamm If you check the character chart, you can see their stats. Ainz has the lowest Agility stat of any level 100 shown in the story, Cocytus's Agility is more or less equal with Shalltear and Sebas is the second fastest level 100, losing only to Pandora's Actor. Also, i mentioned Brain because previously, Ainz, Brain and Shalltear had "possibly FTL" on their speeds, because of that one quote, that was an obvious hyperbole. My poit is that since this is the first time someone from Nazarick took their opponent seriously and went all-out, this is much more believable. The main problem with the stats of anyone from Nazarick is that they rarely take their enemies seriously, especially the level 100s, so it's hard to gauge their stats.

Agility =/= speed though, it probably relates to dexterity and the assassin class. You can tell this because the Pleiades have big discrepancies in agility yet are about equal to each other in speed.

I have read through everything that is in English right now, so you don't have to tell me about obvious things.

NotEvenHuman said:
The main problem with the stats of anyone from Nazarick is that they rarely take their enemies seriously, especially the level 100s, so it's hard to gauge their stats.
^This...Mostly because of this is why i haven't made any other profile of the guardians.

TheMightyRegulator said:
Woah, woah. Stats? Game mechanics?
Overlord is based on Dungeons and Dragons so Maruyama provides stat sheets for each character that is introduced, although the stats of human characters aren't shown.

There are 45 of those stat sheets currently in English.

@Alakabamm About the Pleiades, are they really equal to each other? The only one that definately fought seriously was Entoma. I don't know if Yuri and Shizu were going 100% against Evileye, i seriously need to read Vol.6 again.

Well, i only explained why i talked about Brain.

@TheMightyRegulator Not exactly. Did you read the novels/ watch the anime? I don't want to waste time saying obvious things if you did.

They are supposed to fight as a squad, so I believe so. They do have discrepancy of about 12 levels between each other, I believe, but I can't imagine a huge speed difference existing there even though Narberal has like half of the agility of some of her sisters.

@Alakabamm Yeah, but we have to remember their respective roles. Narberal is supposed to be the mage, so of course she's far slower than, say, Solution or Yuri, who are the assassin and brawler of the team. Also, while they might not have a huge difference in movement speed, it's still possible for them to have huge differences in reaction/combat speed, which is what the thread is about.

Yea but off that logic you should be scaling the level 100 NPCs to each other, with the possible exception of Pandora's Actor, who just takes on a form at 80% power. The discrepancy between Narberal's agility stat and how she keeps up with the others is too much to assume it has nothing to do with level.

@Alakabamm If by "scaling the level 100 NPCs to each other" you mean that Cocytus and Mare should be around SoL, Albedo and Demiurge shoud be slower to an unknow amount and that Aura, Sebas and Pandora's Actor in base ( since his stats change depending on the form he takes) should be FTL if this upgrade happens, then that's exactly what i'm doing. If that's not what you mean, sorry, i didn't get it.

I'm saying that it doesn't make sense for Evileye to be able to keep up with Yuri if she wasn't drastically outspeeding Entoma, considering their considerably different agility stats and equal levels. It seems more like a level/item thing.

BTW, I've been combing over Overlord for more speed stats, here's a quote which may be relevant for lesser speed bounds:

"Malmvist might have taken pride in his comet-like speed, but for Sebas, it was laughably slow." (Vol 6, page 256)

The minimum speed of a comet is 10km/s or about mach 30.

"This whipwas like an extension of Entoma's hand, and bent in an S shape, before it launched at Gagaran with the speed of lightning." (Vol 6, page 368).

Could be indicative of some Pleiades tier speeds.

@Alakabamm So i just went to Vol. 6 to look for Evileye's fight, and here's what i found:

"Normally, Evileye wouldn't even take anyone coming at her with their bare fists seriously, but that was only the arrogance she felt toward the insignificant beings who had always been beneath her. Shortly after fighting with Alpha, she was keenly aware of that. Alpha was truly a fearsome opponent. Every time she tried to open a gap between them, her opponent would come in swinging, several times faster than herself. If she took a direct hit without the protection of her barriers, she would be destroyed."

Again, their movement speed might be similar, but their attack/combat speed is not. Evileye keeping up with Entoma and being several times slower than Yuri ( in combat speed ) only reinforces my point. But yeah, items definately play a major part on their stats.

Alakabamm said:
BTW, I've been combing over Overlord for more speed stats, here's a quote which may be relevant for lesser speed bounds:
"Malmvist might have taken pride in his comet-like speed, but for Sebas, it was laughably slow." (Vol 6, page 256)

The minimum speed of a comet is 10km/s or about mach 30.

"This whipwas like an extension of Entoma's hand, and bent in an S shape, before it launched at Gagaran with the speed of lightning." (Vol 6, page 368).

Could be indicative of some Pleiades tier speeds.
Oh, nice. Imo, the one with Sebas is similar to the one with Brain, yet still more believable, simply because it's said from a neutral point of view, unlike Brain's "lightspeed" attack. The one with Entoma seems legit to me.

Well it was a 3 on 1 battle in Entoma's case where Evileye didn't let her get close so I dunno.

Also, i just found this:

"Alpha's answer was to vanish. As though she had performed a short-range teleport, she materialized in front of Evileye and kicked her in the face."

As you can see, Yuri is perfectly capable of blitzing Evileye.

@Alakabamm Yeah, it was a 3 on 1 for the most part. Didn't Entoma manage to take out Tia and Gagaran at one point? I'm gonna chack that.

Before Evileye came, she was overwhelming them but didn't manage to maim them or anything. Demiurge killed them off.

NotEvenHuman said:
"Alpha's answer was to vanish. As though she had performed a short-range teleport, she materialized in front of Evileye and kicked her in the face."
If that's the case I suppose I can cede it for now.

Alakabamm said:
Before Evileye came, she was overwhelming them but didn't manage to maim them or anything. Demiurge killed them off.
Actually, when Entoma got real, it was stated that if Evileye died, Tia and Gagaran would be massacred, and that, out of the three of them, Evileye was the only one capable of matching Entoma.

Would any of these be a legit ftl feat?

"The sphere of light, with its charging complete, flew towards Shalltear. Despite knowing that it was useless, she held her lance diagonally to block and— the explosion of light covered the surroundings.

While her whole body was burning within the divine light, Shalltear judged that it was dangerous to retreat back. If things continued like this, she would be overwhelmed without being able to do anything."

Overlord-Volume 3-Chapter 5.

It seems that she blocked the light after it was fired.

""Release!" Following his command, ÒÇîGreater Magic SealÒÇì released three magic circles, each firing 30 shots of white arrows of light, for a combined volley of 90 shots. What was released was normal attack magic, ÒÇîMagic ArrowÒÇì. The beautiful afterglow from the flying arrows resembled the wings of an angel. However, this was an angel that signaled death. Magic of the 1st tier cannot penetrate Shalltear's magic resistance. Sensing the danger behind the fact that Ainz used it regardless, Shalltear hastily tried to dodge to her side. However, the white arrows made a sharp turn and perfectly lodged themselves into the target, like a shower of rain. The damage from 90 consecutive white magic arrows instantly destroyed Shalltear's health."Overlord-Volume 3-Chapter 5. And here, even though she still gets hit, she managed to dodge the light arrows once.

Back