• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord General Discussion Mk.V

The best Ainz would ever be is 5-B

And that would be with a WCI, not even his own power

But I don't see Maruyama doing that

5-B or lower beings? In the web novel PDL woke up and 'felt the world was screaming' and this was after summoning the Dark Young. Author's chance to use it was volume 12/13 intermission, i'm guessing the next time we see him he'll be right on top of Ainz.

Can anyone explain why Overlord is only supersonic to supersonic+. Was where a statment that [Lightning] and [Dragon Lightning] are slower that the actual?

We don't usually assume fictional lightning follows the rules of real lightning unless shown otherwise, and we've never seen anything to indicate that the lightning in Overlord is real.

In the side story ainz did use a spell that brought lightining down from the sky to strike him but Im not sure that anything can actually be done with that information.

This was a good chance for a follow-up attack, but the Skeletal Dragon remained where it was. Its job was to protect Khazit, and so it could not stray too far from him. After sensing this from the Skeletal Dragon, Narberal shook her hands to clear off the numbness and soreness.

Just then, Khazit poked his head out from behind the Skeletal Dragon—

"ÒÇîAcid JavelinÒÇì."

"ÒÇîLightningÒÇì."

Khazit launched a green, spear-like object that streaked towards Narberal's body. The javelin, which should have dealt her acid damage, stopped several centimeters away from Narberal's body and vanished without a trace. At the same time, the lightning bolt Narberal shot from her fingers was blocked by the Skeletal Dragon's tail and fizzled out

FDrybob said:
We don't usually assume fictional lightning follows the rules of real lightning unless shown otherwise, and we've never seen anything to indicate that the lightning in Overlord is real.
Really? That's the first time I hear it. I do agree that it's reasonable though

That's still not sufficient proof that it's real lightning. Even if it was shown to be too fast to react to, it still wouldn't necessarily be considered real lightning unless it explicitly has the properties of it.

The only feat I can think of for speed would be Brain's God Flash, but the translations describe it differently.

The fan translations describe it as "lightning-fast", but that has been used to describe things much slower than lightning in fiction, let alone every day life. Pretty sure "lightning-fast" is the least reliable way to argue it is the speed of lightning.

However, the official translation describes it being "as fast as a bolt of lightning", which while much better, some argue it could just be Brain being overconfident. Even if we say that argument isn't good enough, then there's the problem of the difference in translation, as there is at least one person here who vehemently protests against the accuracy of the official translation. Not sure if there's a policy on it, but I would assume we would want to stick with one translation.

I've heard bad things about the official translation as well. I usually just stick to the fan translation.

Some lightning spells can turn into dragons that change direction in mid-air, that shit ain't following physics.

Even if it was, I don't think anyone has ever actually dodged one.

Yeah, picking one version for one thing just to upgrade a stat, and then ignoring it the rest of the time would be cherry-picking

The skeletal dragon moved in the way of the spell after it had been launched. .Not that it matters as the spell itself can't be proven to be actual lightning saying that ainz does have a sky to ground lightinging spell but we've never seen it used/dodged in the novels

With the wonky physics of the new world, I don't think we'll ever see someone break the sound barrier. The sea isn't salty (plot twist: the rivers are all salty). Also his slash meant the other person noticing. It's the same with Eruya (WN), he noticed the light of the slash and not exactly what happened to him. There is alsothis translation, hold in your laughter.

[There was a single word to describe the speed of this movement — lightning. By the time one saw it, one's head would have fallen, so quickly did it take place. After practicing millions of times, it was truly a divine flash.] LN

[If he had to compare this speed, it would be lightspeed. By the time they notice the reflection of light their head had already dropped—-That level of speed.] WN

Muchacho mrm said:
With the wonky physics of the new world, I don't think we'll ever see someone break the sound barrier. The sea isn't salty (plot twist: the rivers are all salty). Also his slash meant the other person noticing. It's the same with Eruya (WN), he noticed the light of the slash and not exactly what happened to him. There is alsothis translation, hold in your laughter.
[There was a single word to describe the speed of this movement — lightning. By the time one saw it, one's head would have fallen, so quickly did it take place. After practicing millions of times, it was truly a divine flash.] LN

[If he had to compare this speed, it would be lightspeed. By the time they notice the reflection of light their head had already dropped—-That level of speed.] WN
Moments later, the moment when Zaryusu closed in— Something flashed with a loud bang before the eyes of Zaryusu as he leapt to the side. That was the sound made by Zenberu's halberd.

Sounds like a sonic boom

The level 18 lizard-bro breaking the sound barrier so easily with a heavy weapon...I'll take that as a mistake, it can be added as a feat but I personally think it's a slip up. I thought Brain's slashing speed would be just below supersonic and using [Martial Arts] to boost his slash to supersonic+. After-all it's a slash that transcends levels and at that level they should be supersonic, which reminds me Shalltear's profile says that

Shalltear also produced a visible heat trail with her movement speed is the only other solid movement speed we have, along with sebas faster then the eye fast walking. Overlord has always lacked in substantial feats unfortunatly...

Muchacho mrm said:
The level 18 lizard-bro breaking the sound barrier so easily with a heavy weapon...I'll take that as a mistake, it can be added as a feat but I personally think it's a slip up. I thought Brain's slashing speed would be just below supersonic and using [Martial Arts] to boost his slash to supersonic+. After-all it's a slash that transcends levels and at that level they should be supersonic, which reminds me Shalltear's profile says that
Well it ain't a mistake, it's a blatant feat that contradicts nothing

Shalltear leaving a heat trail seems weird, I think I saw a thread mentioning that here, yeah you're right about the feats. Faster than the eye would actually be a higher limit? (basing of this site's speed page), after all the author said level up is evolution and we [Homo sapiens] have died out.

I said I don't mind if you think of it as a feat, not opposing just thinking of what effects/feats the higher levelled characters should show. I he said this in volume 4 or higher instead of saying it in volume 2, it would be easier to accept:

[Well, there is magic in this world so some physical laws are different, thus there should not be any problem with a half-baked theory.]

Shockwave is a pulse of energy/force, at-least from the vampire, Ainz and that headless demon, seems like a better feat than sending probably 20 psi towards someone.

Sasuga Oldbones

Actually the vacum feat was from volume 7, as for the shockwave was it produced by a spell? If so it should be strong enough to shatter castle walls/gates (don't know if that matters just trying to get a sense of scale for the shockwave he dodged). Atleast if its the same spell ainz uses in volume twelve.

I also don't like the old bones, or the side story in general :p

The pen or the sword said:
Actually the vacum feat was from volume 7, as for the shockwave was it produced by a spell? If so it should be strong enough to shatter castle walls/gates (don't know if that matters just trying to get a sense of scale for the shockwave he dodged). Atleast if its the same spell ainz uses in volume twelve.
I also don't like the old bones, or the side story in general :p
Even if it was the same spell, we can't say they have the same power, as the power of your spells scales with your magic strength/prowess in Overlord

The vampire bride's one was stated to be able to put a dent in armour (unknown what type of armour). The headless or more like the silk hat demon only caused internal injury to Neia but I always felt the whole thing was staged (for Neia). When Ainz used it he blew a half gate away as well as the Bafolk behind putting up barricades. It's probably a very low tier spell, well the power would be much, much higher if Ainz gang used it

Back