• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord General Discussion Mk.III

Brain has a statement of cutting you so fast there isn't blood on his blade iirc

And this:

If one were to liken its speed to something: a bolt of lightning. By the time the flash registered, the head was falling - that's how fast he was.

Unfortunately for our purposes in VSbattles wiki, the writing style of Overlord is designed to maximize worldbuilding and character interactions, but it has to leave out details that are unnecessary for those purposes (such as a lof of characters' movesets and powers).

Dargoo Faust said:
Also, I found this compilation of character levels (Some of them are incorrect as they're based of difficulty), but perhaps it might be worth looking it over for placing characters in tiers.
This list seems pretty old judging by the lack of information from the more recent novels, such as the fact that the lastborn of the Pleiades is named Aureole Omega, and that she's also the Area Guardian of the cherry blossom sanctuary. Still, it's a fairly impressive list.

I'm not sure how much we need to accept statements but here's one about Shalltear catching Brain's strike

Shalltear had caught it - his strike that was as fast as a bolt of lightning.

I'm neutral regarding the lightning/light speed statements

Although you could also try and say it's from Brain's perspective, who was very overconfident at this time

FDrybob said:
Unfortunately for us, the writing style of Overlord is designed to maximize worldbuilding and character interactions, but it has to leave out details that are unnecessary for those purposes (such as a lof of characters' movesets and powers).
I got into Overlord for its character interactions, so I'm fine with that tbh

" Gigant Basilisk…"
Climb groaned.
With characteristics of both a lizard and a snake, the Gigant Basilisk was a giant monster measuring ten meters. It possessed a petrifying gaze with deadly poison coursing through its veins. What was worse was that its thick skin was as hard as mithril. It was truly a terrifying existence. If they were really able to defeat a monster that could destroy a small town, then it would not have been strange for them to rise to adamantium.
~ Volume 5 - Chapter 2​
No timeframe being given oofs this feat out of validity, although I guess it's good support for 8-C Adamantium-rank adventurers/Heroes?

Dargoo Faust said:
" Gigant Basilisk…"
Climb groaned.
With characteristics of both a lizard and a snake, the Gigant Basilisk was a giant monster measuring ten meters. It possessed a petrifying gaze with deadly poison coursing through its veins. What was worse was that its thick skin was as hard as mithril. It was truly a terrifying existence. If they were really able to defeat a monster that could destroy a small town, then it would not have been strange for them to rise to adamantium.
~ Volume 5 - Chapter 2​
No timeframe being given oofs this feat out of validity, although I guess it's good support for 8-C Adamantium-rank adventurers/Heroes?
Yeah, I don't think a Basilisk would possess a skill capable of destroying an entire town. It would probably just destroy the buildings one by one and force everyone to evacuate.

Makes sense. Is it alright for me to quote as support for the 8-C ratings, though?

I mean, you could try finding the speed something would need to move for water/blood to not have enough time to adhere to it.

Suddenly Zaryusu and Shasuryu got down on their knees and plunged their heads into the muddy marsh. They couldn't help but think it was the right thing to do.

Frigid, muddy water clung to their bodies, and the broken ice refroze.

I may be interpreting it wrong, but this doesn't sound like the entire lake was frozen, just the surface

If only the surface was frozen, they wouldn't have been able to rest their heads on the ice when they broke through it. They would've plunged their heads into the water underneath. Keep in mind that they weren't very close to the bank of the lake.

Sorry, guess I misinterpreted it. I don't have a good mental vision of the lizardman area in the book for some reason

Also FDrybob, how do you think we should handle the Skeletal Dragon's magic resistance, since the strength of magic has been shown and told to vary based on who casts it?

I think we've already decided its regular attack potency and durability should be "Likely 8-C"

Physically, they are below adventurers like Brain and Gazef, so I think they should be "At least 9-A, possibly 8-C". Their magic resistance is pierced by 7th tier magic and above, so their magic resistance should be around city level. Even though the strength of a spell varies based on the caster, there is still a minimum amount of proficiency required to get to each tier. Skeletal Dragons aren't as powerful as one would expect since they aren't actually dragons; they're just a mass of humanoid bones in the shape of a dragon.

Apeironaxim said:
Suddenly Zaryusu and Shasuryu got down on their knees and plunged their heads into the muddy marsh. They couldn't help but think it was the right thing to do.
Frigid, muddy water clung to their bodies, and the broken ice refroze.
>pointed this out in the anime

>gets told "it was frozen solid in the LN"

>it wasn't frozen solid in the LN

Dying from laughter b7a2f07ff2ae6a393b8fa9aaf99c8d4f

FDrybob said:
I already pointed out why it was frozen solid in both.
"plunged their heads into the muddy marsh."

"Frigid, muddy water"

Sounds like they stuck their heads in water, not rested them on ice.

This also closely matches the visuals of the anime, where the water wasn't A) Frozen over completely and B) Was shallow as heck

But I just explained why it really was frozen solid. Look at my reply to his post. They wouldn't be able to rest their heads on it with all that pressure if only the surface was frozen. They are in the middle of the lake, so the water would be pretty deep. If they broke through a layer of ice, they would just be submerged in water, which they weren't. There was clearly another solid surface underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEV-eHf3UxU

Skip to 4:53. Even though they broke the ice, they are still pressed against a solid surface. You can see that they are still exerting pressure on it.

FDrybob said:
But I just explained why it really was frozen solid. Look at my reply to his post. They wouldn't be able to rest their heads on it with all that pressure if only the surface was frozen.
Where did it say they "rested their heads" on anything?

Their heads broke through the surface of the ice.

Surface ice can also just be thick enough to support a person's weight.

If you look at the video, you can see that they are still exerting pressure even after their heads break through, yet their heads don't just plunge into the water.

FDrybob said:
If you look at the video, you can see that they are still exerting pressure even after their heads break through, yet their heads don't just plunge into the water.
In the same video, Gargantua throws a cubic rock that breaks through said ice, makes a hole in said ice, where water is clearly visible underneath said ice, making a wave of liquid water, which was under the ice.

Along with a roar like heavy rain -- the kicked-up dirt falling back to the ground...

Here's the description of the boulder's impact

Lake
Here's a shot of the marsh
Unfortunately not all of it is in frame

I'm guessing we can use the size of the boulder in the Lifting Strength calc to determine it's size?

Do we have quotes of the size of it in the VN?

Otherwise we would need to use the anime for visual reference.

North of the forest was a huge lake. This body of water was shaped like an inverted calabash, split into an upper and lower lake, with a diameter of about 24 miles...

Where the lower lake merged with wetlands to the south, numerous buildings stood in the everglade.

And do we have confirmation that the whole lake, upper and lower, was frozen over?

Certainly the entire lake couldn't be frozen, but it was a fact that as far as his eyes could see, everything was covered in ice.

Does the speed at which it was frozen matter?

Cause then we can use the anime, since there isn't a time frame in the LN

FDrybob said:
They're lizardmen though, so we don't know how good their eyesight is.
If we don't know that they have good or bad eyesight the baseline assumption is that they have regular human eyesight until proven otherwise.

The fact that they couldn't say for sure if it was entirely frozen proves that they can't see the whole lake right off the bat.

The sky was a single clear shade of blue, and the sun shone brillaintly near its zenith.

Because lizardmen had such a wide field of vision, he - Zaryusu Shasha - could see the blinding sun without moving his head.

Back