• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord CRT: Resistances and some other misc stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apeironaxim

He/Him
Movement Impairment/Restriction:

So Overlord has this weird thing where characters can be resistant to Movement Impairment/Restrictions. So, what would it give?

Resistance to paralysis:
Gagaran smashed in from the side with her spiked warhammer.
Evileye might have the advantage, but Gagaran was not willing to dump everything on her. She stepped up beside her comrades to challenge this formidable foe. Evileye smiled at her from under her mask. If she had not been wearing her mask, she might have been too shy to do so.

The monster made to evade Gagaran’s hit, but it froze briefly in place. That was because of Tia’s ninjutsu, [Fudou Kanashibari no Jutsu]. Her foe was not so much resistant to it as she was immune to it, so it could not stop her from moving. Even so, the fact that it had created a brief opening for Gagaran was a tremendous help.

Intangibility (though I'm pretty sure it would be labeled as Limited):
The net of woven black thread which Tia cast out expanded in mid-air.
However, that net could not find purchase on the monster’s body. The net passed through the monster’s body like an illusion and fell to the ground.
“To think she’s completely immune to movement restriction!”

I would put this under Resistance to Status Effect Inducement. Here's an example using Ainz's:
Status Effect Inducement (Blindness, Deafness, and Movement Impairment)
I also put other showings in the imgur link that wouldn't directly translate to something like paralysis or intangibility

For the intangibility:
Limited Intangibility (Having a resistance to Movement Hindrances/Physical Impediments allows one to pass through restricting material such as a net)

Characters this would apply to are:
Ainz
Shalltear
Entoma

Ainz stuff:

Ainz should get resistance to Power Nullification based on having a resistance check to CZ's skill that interrupts/disrupts his spells, and thus obviously also giving CZ power null with said unnamed skill

His resistance to Clairvoyance could use a justification, especially since he can link spells to those trying to use Divination on him. Here's my proposal: Clairvoyance (Has a ring which protects him from Divination magic. Has an anti-scrying barrier which allows him to link an offensive spell back to the user of the Divination magic)

Resistance to Deconstruction based on having Turn resistance, as Turn Undead can disintegrate undead
"If there were a way to do it, then surely it would be an assembly of high-level priests turning undead at the same time, right?"
"I see …"
That would have disintegrated the Zombies, and it would explain their absence.
However, there was a limit to how many times one could turn undead each day, and low-level priests could not use that ability often. Therefore, it
would probably be impossible to annihilate a swirling horde of 400’000 Zombies without committing sizable numbers to the task.
"[Detect Undead] – I see. I need, Captain-dono, he is not undead, being that
there was no reaction to it. Also – yeeart!"
The priest raised his hand. Suzuki felt a strange force pushing on him. It was probably some kind of undead-destroying ability. However, it was completely ineffective on Suzuki Satoru and Keno.

Ainz also needs an Optional equipment section. I don't know how he went so long without one, considering his Staff would count as he wouldn't normally bring it to a fight. Regardless, his Optional Equipment would include:
  • Optional Equipment: The Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown. Various items from Nazarick's Treasury, such as the equipment of his Guild Members
He should also get a small addition to his Weaknesses section regarding his teleportation, as he can only teleport 1 kilometer with Greater Teleportation if teleporting to a place he has not already visited, or is not observing with Divination magic.

Ainz can connect his pocket dimension to his guild's treasury if given time to prepare, which gives him access to his old allies' divine items, and his guild's world-class items.
This should be removed from his Standard Equipment section. He cannot connect his inventory to the treasury, all he did was go to the Treasury before his fight with Shalltear and put stuff in his inventory. Should instead be replaced with something explaining his inventory/pocket space, such as "The rest of Ainz's items are contained within a pocket dimension which he can access freely by opening small portals to reach inside of."

Ainz's regeneration should also be removed, as he has never demonstrated having regen, and thus this would remove his Type 3 for his Immortality. On the subject of his immortality, Type 4 should also be removed, as until further explanation or showings of his resurrection ring, we assume Ainz can only revive once

Shalltear:

Power Nullification (Can negate sound)
This is literally just sound manip, I don't know why it's listed as power null. Shalltear should have power null regardless though, in the form of her Magic Destruction
“[Magic Destruction].”
Shalltear used her scant few remaining MP to cast a spell which dispelled other magic.

Biological manipulation for her Implosion spell, unless it would count as something else
“[Penetrate Magic – Implosion].”
After casting this tenth-tier spell — which was of the highest tier of magic — the bodies of ten mercenaries began swelling up from inside.
There was no time for them to cry out. All they could do was watch their bodies expand inexorably, looks of ignorant terror on their faces. Then, in the next moment, their bodies burst, like balloons popping.

She also seems to take some additional damage from the lightning element and from silver.
The lightning part should be removed from her Weaknesses section. It's not that she takes more damage from it, it's just that she doesn't have any meaningful resistance to it. It's even said in her fight with Ainz that one simply cannot have a resistance for every elemental damage type. The silver part is also misleading. Just having silver is not enough, it must also be a magical weapon, so that should be changed to reflect that.

All the Guardians + Ainz:

All the Guardians should get Invulnerability due to having equipment that negs non-magical ranged attacks in some way:
None of the bullets struck her, they all curved away.
It seemed likely that none of the bullets were enchanted.
At the Floor Guardians’ level, one would have complete immunity to unenchanted projectiles. If his weapon had not been enchanted, he should not have equipped it at all.
The first strike was a stone, which was aimed at Cocytus’s throat. However, it
was completely meaningless, because—
“—We. Guardians. Are. Equipped. With. Items. That. Resist. Ranged.
Attacks.”
—An invisible barrier which appeared to cover his body deflected the stone.

However, Ainz, and Shalltear's should extend to non magical attacks in general based on these quotes:
In order to harm Shalltear, one needed a weapon made of silver and possessing sufficient mana, or a weapon with a powerful elemental enchantment. Simply being made of silver was not enough.
“What’s wrong, Albedo?”
And in that moment─
“─Gu-guwaargh!”
─Ainz’s field of vision shifted just as he felt an impact on his back.
Naturally, it did not hurt. Ainz’s body could only be harmed by magical means.

World Items:

World Item resistances should get two new additions

Resistance to Power Absorption as World Items trump Super Tier Spells such as Wish Upon a Star, which can be used to steal Talents

And Resistance to Spatial Manipulation, as those with World Items or Wild Magic can pass through World Isolating Barrier, which creates a space separate from reality. As those with Wild Magic can do it too, Cure Elim would also get this resistance.

------------
Agree: DaReaperMan, Bernkastelll, Gemstic, Zencha9, AbaddonTheDisappointment, The_pen_or_the_sword, Moritzva, Tllmbrg

Disagree:

Last edited:
Resistance to Deconstruction based on having Turn resistance, as Turn Undead can disintegrate undead

So it'd give limited Resistance to Deconstruction? As his resistance is specifically against an Anti-Undead ability, and we don't know whether it'd work against a general deconstruction power that'd affect you either way. Correct me if I'm overlooking something.

Also, how effective is this ability of disintegrating undead? Does it disintegrate the target to molecular, atomic, or sub-atomic level? You'd need to know that as a character can only resist the level of disintegration that has been stated in the series.

In any case, Resistance to Spatial Manipulation would prove to be a really good resistance for Overlord characters.

So it'd give limited Resistance to Deconstruction? As his resistance is specifically against an Anti-Undead ability, and we don't know whether it'd work against a general deconstruction power that'd affect you either way. Correct me if I'm overlooking something.
unless i'm misremembering how we treat things on site, i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter that it's anti-undead in-verse, just that he resists something that disintegrates

unless i'm misremembering how we treat things on site, i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter that it's anti-undead in-verse, just that he resists something that disintegrates
If that's really the case, then sure. What about my second question then?

I assume it would be treated as whatever baseline disintegration/deconstruction would be to leave no visible trace of them being there

The movement impairment restriction seems fine, it just seems like an anime-ized version of Freedom of Movement.

Agree with the Ainz stuff based on what's said, barring the removal of Type 4. Only being able to resurrect once is still resurrection. Just note that it is limited.

I really don't know what Implosion would be. Bio manip works fine, but I could see this becoming many other things instead. Suppose if we get further context we can always just change it.

Shalltear stuff looks similarly fine, no argument here.

The Guardians shouldn't get Invulnerability, it sounds like that's a Forcefield, no? Based on Cocytus' explanation and the fact that it gets deflected rather than totally negated?

Agree with World Tier item changes as well, assuming what you're saying is correct. You didn't provide quotes or anything for this bit.

The movement impairment restriction seems fine, it just seems like an anime-ized version of Freedom of Movement.

Agree with the Ainz stuff based on what's said, barring the removal of Type 4. Only being able to resurrect once is still resurrection. Just note that it is limited.

I really don't know what Implosion would be. Bio manip works fine, but I could see this becoming many other things instead. Suppose if we get further context we can always just change it.

Shalltear stuff looks similarly fine, no argument here.

The Guardians shouldn't get Invulnerability, it sounds like that's a Forcefield, no? Based on Cocytus' explanation and the fact that it gets deflected rather than totally negated?

Agree with World Tier item changes as well, assuming what you're saying is correct. You didn't provide quotes or anything for this bit.
4: Immortality via reincarnation or resurrection: Characters that are immortal because, whenever they die, they will simply reincarnate within another body or resurrect themselves at a later point in time.
This sounds like you need to be able to rez more than once, if not continuously after every death, to qualify
Ainz removed one of his rings. It was a cash item that allowed for resurrection at hardly any cost.
Unless this quote is good enough to justify multiple resurrections

What about Shalltear's quote of needing to be damaged by something magical, would she still get Invulnerability?

I have imgur links showing that in order to pass through the World Isolating Barrier you need either Wild Magic or a World Item. The power absorption part is showing that he could steal powers/Talents, but yeah not long after Ainz mentions when his Super Tier Spell fails on dispelling the mind control caused by a World Item on Shalltear, it's cause World Items trump Super Tier spells
“…There is only one thing which can trump the power of the Super-Tier spell [Wish Upon A Star].”
Perhaps earlier, he might have thought it was interference from something in this world, but Ainz was confident that it was not the case. This was because he had sensed it as he activated the ring.
“It, it can’t be… that would be…”
“Yes, Albedo. There is only one thing which can do that… the power of World Class Items.”

But they are not?
Resurrection is indeed its own ability separate from Type 4 immortality. Again, the description from Type 4 says you'd need to be able to rez after each death

Resurrection is indeed its own ability separate from Type 4 immortality. Again, the description from Type 4 says you'd need to be able to rez after each death
some characters have type 4 due ressurection, but if it isnt, then ok

Resurrection as its own ability is used to notate when the character is capable of resurrecting others.

Immortality Type 4 can be limited just as any other Immortality can be limited.

Also yeah Shalltear and Ainz should receive Invulnerability, sorry for not being clear on that. The others just have a forcefield.

Resurrection as its own ability is used to notate when the character is capable of resurrecting others.

Immortality Type 4 can be limited just as any other Immortality can be limited.
Resurrection is the ability to revive oneself or others after they have died. Often, characters can do one or the other, not both, but others can perform both.

The page seems to include being able to revive yourself as well, so it's a bit confusing. I can keep the Type 4 yeah and just explain it's only assumed to work once in the justification, but if Resurrection allows both resurrection of yourself and others, I could also put down:

Resurrection (Can resurrect others. Has a ring that allows him to resurrect at least once)

Both can work, I just find the latter to be easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back