• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Our rules regarding composite profiles (Staff only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that there are powers and abilities from the comics as well.

Probably what Sera and Dargoo have suggested.

Sera EX said:
Well...if we're ending composites altogether, that section of the page should just be removed. I think "no composites" would become an editing rule if necessary, and since we're talking about that page anyway, the alternative canon section could be merged with the canon page during that eventual rewrite and be it's own section maybe (since it is on the topic of canonicity after all).

Aren't civilization profiles composites? What happens to the Real World profile?

We use the stats from the Real World profile because we have no exact choice. The same can be said for most verses that have Composite characters.

I mean, civilisations would probably fall under canonical composites, especially if we consider that any versus match against them would involve fighting everything in the civilisation at once. It seems like they'd be acceptable to me.

Real life profiles should be left alone. They mostly serve as reference material anyway.

So, Real Life and Species composite profiles are both fine, yes?

So should we add a "No composite profiles allowed, except for Pokémo and similar franchises, because..." editing rule, and replace the Alternative Canon and Composite Profiles page with a redirect to Cano instead, after the "alternative canon" part has been merged with it? If so, we need some suggestions for how we should handle the practical applications of this.

Antvasima said:
So should we add a "No composite profiles allowed, except for Pokémo and similar franchises, because..." editing rule, and replace the Alternative Canon and Composite Profiles page with a redirect to Cano instead, after the "alternative canon" part has been merged with it? If so, we need some suggestions for how we should handle the practical applications of this.
I think that's fair. Pokemon, while it has some sticky issues with canonicity across it's games, is very much a series of species, and species composites should be fine.

What do you mean by 'practical applications?'

I thought the Pokémon explanation was going on its verse page?

@Moritzva

Well, I do not have a very good grasp of how we should rewrite the text instructions for example, and after the regulations have been changed, we need to decide which pages that need to be deleted or reworked.

@Sera

Thank you for the reminder. It wouldn't hurt to clarify what is acceptable in a more general sense as well though.

Help with what I mentioned earlier would be very appreciated.

Should I create a seperate thread regarding SCP's Extended Canon keys? Said keys are composites of character appearances within the series. Due to the natue of SCP, such keys cannot be avoided.

Yeah, the SCP verse and characters already exist in a state similar to what we would call composite anyway. Trying to observe them outside of this context doesn't work, and in the few exceptions where it does, it's usually due to being specifically written to be self contained, or due to having a low presence on the sight

I just want to make it very clear: composite real life species are completely fine, yes?

Ricsi-viragosi said:
They are not composites, they are simply the average and most common.
Alright, so average Real Life species are fine?

Not really? Film-wise:

Godzilla (1954)

Godzilla (Showa)

Godzilla (Heisei)

Godzilla (Millennium)

Godzilla (GMK)

And I'm sure Legendary, 1998, and the comic versions are already separate.

@Ovens Iapitus No. We don't include stuff that's contradictory (there's characters with multiple backstories, and we've gone with the most consistent one), and we don't include stuff that's an outlier for the character. Which is why Dr. Clef, despite having actual Reality Warping in a tale or two, doesn't have it on his profile (which is Extended Canon).

If you two are making EC profiles that are composites you should stop. EC is, in simplest terms, treating stuff from other authors as canon.

Well there are several existing ways in dealing with characters appearing in different canon or media:

1. Different profiles for each canon or media, with one composite character as a separate profile (e.g. Godzilla (Composite))

2. Different profiles for each canon or media, with no composite character profile - may or may not include an "index" profile (e.g. Superma)

3. Different key phases for each canon or media within one character profile, with no composite character profile (e.g. Doctor Fate (Classic))

4. One or two key phases for all canon within one character profile as one or two composite character profile (e.g. the current Comics!Mask)

Which would you prefer? Or all are acceptable on a case-by-case basis?

@Jason What's the difference between 3 and 4 there?

Jason Voorhees profile, while using extended canon like comics, isn't a composite. The reboot has it's own key and the original timeline is separated into his different forms. It would only really be a composite of we include video games or alt-universe novels into one key.

Agnaa said:
@Ovens Iapitus No. We don't include stuff that's contradictory (there's characters with multiple backstories, and we've gone with the most consistent one), and we don't include stuff that's an outlier for the character. Which is why Dr. Clef, despite having actual Reality Warping in a tale or two, doesn't have it on his profile (which is Extended Canon).
If you two are making EC profiles that are composites you should stop. EC is, in simplest terms, treating stuff from other authors as canon.
I'm not sure how you decide what contradictions are too extreme, since the nature of the SCP wiki means that just what storylines you view it in can create contradictions. Outliers not being included is a thing for every profile, and that includes composite ones, so I dont expect any kind of special treatment on this matter, obviously. Also, I know you are using the Clef thing as just an example, but from what I have learned from discussing with other SCP fans, the status quo around Clef seems to have changed to him being a reality warper himself, although I'm not that much of a fan of this.

What do you define as EC? Is that anything that sits within multiple canons, or things that sit outside of the SCP's many canons? Is it EC if it shows up in tails exclusively or is it EC if it just isn't outright spelled out in the page itself? Is stuff like finding hints in the source code EC?

Sera EX said:
This goes for all composites with the exception of characters with floating continuity like Mario and verses like Pokémon which aren't even the same as the base composites I've described above. Link and all other composites need to go.
Hello, I know I'm extremely late to this, but I have a question.

Composite Lightning McQuee. Will he be affected? We made him a composite because we simply don't know wether the games are canon or not. For all we know, they could be, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back