• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Our rules regarding composite profiles (Staff only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AogiriKira said:
Sounds more like reincarnation than being literally the same person imo
It actually is, each "Link" doesn't even share memories, even if they technically are the same guy.

If you wanna nuke comp. Link, fine. I won't put up a fight if you all decide it. I just think it's unfair to limit someone with 30 years of canon history to one or two games while other characters get everything and the kitchen sink. If you think say, Sora vs Link, you're not thinking "Oh, Sora's specifically fighting Minish Cap Link!" Meanwhile, you don't say "Scorpion is fighting SF2T Ryu!" Yes, I'm award of the obvious false equivalency but it's what I think. I'm not calling it a double standard or anything, because that's dumb. I'm just saying what I think on the matter, and that even with reincarnation on the table, other characters get their entire history while Link gets a tenth of his. Also, even the artwork for comp. Link on his profile is Nintendo's official take on a representation of all Links as one.

And yeah I'm fully aware comp. Link only exists for battles, but we're still vs battles. We have the individual iterations for indexing, so that argument goes down the drain.

Let's have the Link discussion seperately, please. This is a general thread for composites, and if we're stopping talking about Link as if he's a composite in the traditional sense, there's no use continuing discourse here and derailing the thread.

I know the Link talk should stop but I just want to say 1 thing if we do allow and are willing to admit that composite Link is literally just for battles then why don't we allow that for literally any verse. Composite Link is nothing special imo.

Would somebody be willing to inform all of the administrators and bureaucrats who have not responded here yet about this thread via their message walls, as it is rather important?

If Prom allows it, I would suggest FCOC for the new home. If not there's nowhere else I'd suggest except a blog profile.

I'd make a verse page for 'em and then organise them appropriately.

We've still got to organise them on a case by case basis first.

It's just a suggestion, I'm not saying it's a dumping site, but people have put work into them.

It was composite human, so it wasn't exactly from official works but if it's for all composites then we simply don't put them on there.

Putting them in a blog post is the only method that will allow them to be around and used. If not, I'm okay with a complete purge, which sucks, but has to be done.

Prom said she didn't want Composite Real world profiles, but I don't know about Composite Godzilla or Composite Link. But you may ask her.

Nothing will go on FCOC. I don't want a flood of increasingly arbitrary composite pages, because that's what this will encourage. People will make the ridiculous composite Gokus they always wanted to make here. I don't want that. It's not a wiki for weird mash-ups of random fictional characters.

That seems to be settled then. Let's return to the main topic please.

Composites of any kind shouldn't be allowed. Floating timeline characters and characters from verses with little consistent continuity don't quite count as composites as explained above.

@Ant

Well...if we're ending composites altogether, that section of the page should just be removed. I think "no composites" would become an editing rule if necessary, and since we're talking about that page anyway, the alternative canon section could be merged with the canon page during that eventual rewrite and be it's own section maybe (since it is on the topic of canonicity after all).

@Goji

Nothing should happen to Pokémon.

Hmmm, wouldn't the no composites rule be "No composite profiles, except for Pokemon because [Insert reasoning here]" be the rule then if Pokemon is unaffected?

Zark2099 said:
Maybe no? FCOC isn't VS Battle Wiki's trash can... how do composites even fit into the Fan Character/Original Character nature?
Well...

Sera EX said:
Under any other circumstances we'd call that an FC (which aren't allowed), so I'm not sure why we allow composites.
This rang true to me, composites are essentially derivative versions of characters created by fans.

Not advocating for these composites to go on FC/OC btw, I understand that Prome doesn't want them. Just pointing out how easy the connection is to make.

@Somebody

I suppose an explanation for why Pokémon (and apparently Digimon) are exceptional might be a good idea.

@Agnaa

Maybe another term for composites is "HC" or "HCC" (Headcanon Character). I just coined this term and it's trademarked. Use it and there will be lawsuits ƒæÇ

So are we still axing Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny as composites?

Pokemon's just exceptional in that:

• 1. The pages refer to species as a whole, rather than individual members, so they can describe all appearances in the species.
  • 2. A wide variety of Pokemon media is considered canon, so appearances from all sorts of games, anime, and manga are considered usable for feats.
But neither of these should really be detailed on the Alternative Canon and Composite Profiles page itself, these are just reasons why Pokemon pages seem to be composites despite not being composites.

We should put these reasons on Pokémon's universe page. I also agree with the Pokemkn stuff. Using the best feats to scale them is better, because we don't need to create multiple keys for the same pokemon species with different trainers, this would be a mess for the page and make the scaling almost impossible

Agnaa said:
Pokemon's just exceptional in that:
  • 1. The pages refer to species as a whole, rather than individual members, so they can describe all appearances in the species.
  • 2. A wide variety of Pokemon media is considered canon, so appearances from all sorts of games, anime, and manga are considered usable for feats.
But neither of these should really be detailed on the Alternative Canon and Composite Profiles page itself, these are just reasons why Pokemon pages seem to be composites despite not being composites.
Its kinda the same for Digimon especial the first point.

I agree about that we should describe why Pokemon "composites" are acceptable in the verse page.

Sir Ovens said:
So are we still axing Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny as composites?
Yes. They aren't really composites so their profiles can stay. However, they may need to be revised.

Should we remove all scaling from comicbooks from all of them?

I do not remember specifics well, but I do recall that the Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo characters include them at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back