• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece: Maybe Just a Little Faster - FTL+ Upgrade

How in the earth there are two threads to upgrade and downgrade speed for One Piece at same time?
And topic kinda same too

I initially wasn't going to comment on this but I've been looking into the calcs and I think there seems to be a problem here, so I'll prepare an analysis to address this and see what other people think.

(And in case anyone is wondering, the issue isn't possible calc stacking)

EDIT: Will have my post up on Friday.

Last edited:
Issue with Marco's Calc

I'll start by addressing what I believe to be a flaw in the original calc for Marco.

Marco moved horizontally in a 180 spun.

42px = 2.03m

179px = 8.6516666666667

8.6516666666667 * 180° × π/180 = 27.180012m. Last thread, Mitch said divide by 2.

But I calced a different size, so mine/2 would be 13.590006 Meters.

Essentially the calc is for the movement of the tips of Marco's wings as he rotates to dodge Queen's laser; if you think of Marco's wingspan (8.6516666666667 m) as being the diameter of a circle, then the full circumference of that circle would be 27.18001 m. Since Marco didn't do a full rotation however and is assumed to do a 180 degree spin, then it is being halved to get 13.590006 m.

This doesn't seem to line up with the feat to me though. Here is a rough illustration showing Marco's initial position:

kCIxdlS.png

And if he had done a full 180 degrees spin, he would end up looking like this:

TjNjxMO.png

He would have flipped vertically, essentially. Half of a full circular rotation.

Instead, when we look at how he ends up looking when he is dodging Queen's laser:

1YrFNLd.png

It's a lot closer to 70 to 90 degrees. Not close to a full 180 degrees at all.

Issue with King's Calc

The issue with calcing King's speed from this - even if we take into account corrections for Marco's movement above - is that this doesn't get us Marco's actual flight speed in the scene. This is just his rotation to dodge Queen's beam, and not even that truly; it's just the speed of the furthest extension of Marco's wings. When something rotates, the speed at the extremites furthest from the central point of rotation is going to be faster than the center.

When King launches his attack on Marco, Marco has already completed his rotation. There is no reason to assume that any part of him is still exactly the same speed as the calc here.

I know it's being argued that this isn't Calc Stacking because it's all a part of the same scene, but our guidelines say:
  • Using the calculated speed of a projectile to calculate the speed of a character dodging said projectile on the very same occasion is usually permitted, as long as the projectile wouldn't have changed its speed mid flight.
  • Using speed of characters or attacks calculated at other instances can't be used, as characters and attacks can vary in speed. This is the case regardless of whether the character is seriously trying to do their best or anything similar.
Marco isn't really a "projectile" here and we don't have a good reason for assuming that is in constant speed here "mid flight" like a bullet or a laser. Especially since as I noted the originally calced speed isn't for Marco's flight but for how fast the tips of his wings travel during his rotation.

As the second guideline notes, characters can vary in speed and the scene of Marco dodging Queen's attack and King attacking Marco to cut off his wing are two separate instances. They're two different moments in time even if they're on the same page.

As the second guideline notes, characters can vary in speed and the scene of Marco dodging Queen's attack and King attacking Marco to cut off his wing are two separate instances. They're two different moments in time even if they're on the same page.
I’m sorry but while I can’t exactly get to everything else rn, this part is just completely needless scrutiny along the lines of “just because they’re in the same scene, doesn’t mean they’re in the same scene.”

Also, the second point specifically says “in other instances,” which this doesn’t fall into

@CloverDragon03 I guess it's down to how you interpret "other instances" here but to me Marco dodging out of the way of Queen's laser and King attacking Marco are two different instances.

If you calc a character's speed when he dodges a bullet during a fight, and then another guy shows up and punches him after the dodge is already done, then that'd also be calc stacking if you tried to calc the second guy's speed relative to the bullet-dodger.

This doesn't seem to line up with the feat to me though. Here is a rough illustration showing Marco's initial position:

kCIxdlS.png
And if he had done a full 180 degrees spin, he would end up looking like this:
no... Its first Marco Moving in a horizontal position, then moved 90 degrees standing up straight (the one you said was initial state) then at the same time 90 degrees to the rotation of his wings

Not a 180 degree spin but 180 degree movement

Last edited:
I'm having a difficult time envisioning how that would work exactly.

I'm having a difficult time envisioning how that would work exactly.
you can use your hand... Aim at monitor or something, only rotate it 90 degrees and then to show the hand/wing, try to move the hand upwards

Or move hand upwards and then rotate 90 degrees

since if he only rotated his wing 90 or 70 degrees for you... Marco would still be in the line of the laser... Just have only rotated his wing for no reason

since if he only rotated his wing 90 or 70 degrees for you... Marco would still be in the line of the laser... Just have only rotated his wing for no reason
I'm not denying that there's more to Marco's movement in order for him to have gotten out of the way; but it doesn't look like a 180 degree rotation around any point is the correct method for calcing Marco's movements here.

but it doesn't look like a 180 degree rotation around any point is the correct method for calcing Marco's movements here.
... But that is what he does... If you're going to fully dodge something while flying you would need to move up and rotate to move out of the way otherwise you're still in the same position but have only rotated your wing

... But that is what he does... If you're going to fully dodge something while flying you would need to move up and rotate to move out of the way otherwise you're still in the same position but have only rotated your wing
But flying up isn't the same as an additional 90 degrees rotation.

But flying up isn't the same as an additional 90 degrees rotation.
It's a 90 degree movement or a 90 degree rotation up/backwards to then a 90 degree rotation sideways

I don't see how you can't see that... (do I have to get on gta 5 and fly a plane to show an example? 😅)

anyway I agree with the thread if it isn't Calc stacking

Which it doesn't seem to be as it's mid movement of when he dodges

Last edited:
@MonkeyOfLife I'm still not sure about your explanation, but one thing I have to note is that your explanation doesn't line up with the original calc. This is the description from the original calc that KT's Marco calc is based on:

StGCuBZ.png

"Moved horizontally in a 180 degree spin", essentially.

Not a 90 degree rotation upwards, and a 90 degree rotation sideways.

@MonkeyOfLife I'm still not sure about your explanation, but one thing I have to note is that your explanation doesn't line up with the original calc. This is the description from the original calc that KT's Marco calc is based on:

StGCuBZ.png

"Moved horizontally in a 180 degree spin", essentially.

Not a 90 degree rotation upwards, and a 90 degree rotation sideways.
yee but I think they just spelt it wrong (or not) (kt just copied from demonmitch calc) or assumed something else but it doesn't matter as the end result is still the same

He would've still rotated 180 degrees at the same time just not the same ways

Back