• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

on breaking bones

for a feat this common, a 300-9000 J range is extremely unhelpful, also, why exactly are we using as reference the bones of a 52 yo? I mean, I'm no orthopedic but that's like using the slowest gun to determine bullet-dodging. I've seen people using breaking, dislocating, breaking by the joint and twisting interchangeably, when the study rlly what it did was apply force with 3 prongs, 2 to hold cutted bone pieces in place and one doing the fracturing thingy, so none of the others should really count as breaking. I understand that angle matters because bones are anisotropic, but really? 300 joules for 5 degrees and 9000 joules for 50 degrees? that's all? for what a could find, fracture energy of bone ranges from 5 to 30 J/m2, 100 to 300 for bulk cortical bone link here, no idea if that's useful.

for a feat this common, a 300-9000 J range is extremely unhelpful, also, why exactly are we using as reference the bones of a 52 yo? I mean, I'm no orthopedic but that's like using the slowest gun to determine bullet-dodging. I've seen people using breaking, dislocating, breaking by the joint and twisting interchangeably, when the study rlly what it did was apply force with 3 prongs, 2 to hold cutted bone pieces in place and one doing the fracturing thingy, so none of the others should really count as breaking. I understand that angle matters because bones are anisotropic, but really? 300 joules for 5 degrees and 9000 joules for 50 degrees? that's all? for what a could find, fracture energy of bone ranges from 5 to 30 J/m2, 100 to 300 for bulk cortical bone link here, no idea if that's useful.
Well, awhile ago, I last saw it come from a calc group member (but it could obviously originate futher back). But I'm planning to revise the specifics of the feat.

Breaking a bone depends on the context of the verse+character in-question, the angle of attack and what bone you're breaking.
  • If you've just fractured the chest or face of a reg. person, it would be around 10-B to 10-A since people's punches don't reach 9-C levels of energy. We're forced to work around the oversimplification of our tiers at 10-C to 9-C.
  • But if you say... regularly preform peak human feats and fracture a leg of a reg. person (one of the strongest bones are there). It would count, but I don't think it would make sense to say breaking a femur is 10-B+ if it's the strongest bones of the body. Not to mention bone is made up of 3 types of bone tissue and the 100-300 J part is only factors a part of a bone rather than the whole.
A 52 yr old isn't too far from a regular person's durability since everyone practically walks (which bones regularly withstand).

Back