• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Off-Site Respect Threads on Wiki Pages (Staff Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the replies.

Who are the other staff members that have commented in this thread? Perhaps it would be best to send a notification to them in order to make certain?

Let's see:
Agrees: @Antvasima , @DarkDragonMedeus , @SamanPatou , @Planck69 , @KingTempest , @Damage3245 , @Shadowbokunohero , @Ogbunabali , @Qawsedf234 , @Elizhaa , @Dino_Ranger_Black , @DemonGodMitchAubin , @Celestial_Pegasus , @Soldier_Blue, @Bobsican (Me)
Neutral: @Antoniofer (Leans on agreeing to keep them in blog posts), @Agnaa
Disagrees: @DontTalkDT , @The_Impress , @Armorchompy , @Tllmbrg (Ant debunked him respectively, however), @Eficiente (Maybe)

Yeah, most seem to agree
The votation probably is out of date now, but this is the amount of users that have replied here so far.

I tried to make Bobsican's text easier to understand:

"Do not directly add any respect thread links from external sites to our pages, as they can't be properly monitored to keep their content of sufficiently high reliability for our purposes, and they recurrently do not meet our standards. Feel free to remove any such existing links that you come across. The same applies to calculations hosted in external sites, although exceptions are made for the ones that were hosted in the NarutoForums if they were previously accepted. If one desires to feature them, they must be backed up to archive.vn, after which the backed up pages are linked to in blog posts in the wiki (only link to one respect thread or calculation per blog post), with credit given to the original creator(s). It should then be requested that our staff and knowledgeable members evaluate which of the feats that seem reliable or not in the blog post comment sections, and uncertain cases may be handled in a content revision threads as well."
@DontTalkDT

I would appreciate if you explain what you think about this suggestion.

Okay. Thank you for the input.

I will place the text in the Editing Rules page then.

Can somebody remind me what we need to do afterwards please?

I added it:

By the way: We probably need a new editing rule that at least encourages our members to use source references whenever possible.

- The Standard Format for Character Profiles, the Standard Format for Verse Pages, the Standard Format for Civilization Profiles, the Standard Format for Weapon Profiles and the Standard Format for Vehicle Profiles are updated in the "Feats" section to also be explicitly where respect threads may also be featured, and as outlined in the before-mentioned rule, by linking to the blog post that got accepted, which then links to the calculation and gives credit and so on, this is done to make it consistent on regards of where they are featured and ease the work of bot tasks in the future.
Civilization and Verse Pages currently don't have proper places to feature this kind of stuff, the former could have this section right below the Weaknesses section, to remain consistent with the other formats that have it in the same way, and verse pages could feature them below the Calculations section.

- All and every single one of the currently featured off-site (Emphasis on this part, on-site respect threads are far less problematic as they have been evaluated already (Being generally used for CRTs before being then recycled for featuring and all) and their content isn't as easy to suddendly get compromised as non-archived links to external websites of variable reliability, so they can stay by default) respect threads are removed from the pages, then they are manually eventually (re)added as certain users may desire with the process outlined in the first-mentioned editing rule on this post.
This

By the way: We probably need a new editing rule that at least encourages our members to use source references whenever possible.
Sorry for the double post, but regarding this part, it probably would be best being handled in another thread as it's somewhat beyond the topic of this thread.

- The Standard Format for Character Profiles, the Standard Format for Verse Pages, the Standard Format for Civilization Profiles, the Standard Format for Weapon Profiles and the Standard Format for Vehicle Profiles are updated in the "Feats" section to also be explicitly where respect threads may also be featured, and as outlined in the before-mentioned rule, by linking to the blog post that got accepted, which then links to the calculation and gives credit and so on, this is done to make it consistent on regards of where they are featured and ease the work of bot tasks in the future.
Civilization and Verse Pages currently don't have proper places to feature this kind of stuff, the former could have this section right below the Weaknesses section, to remain consistent with the other formats that have it in the same way, and verse pages could feature them below the Calculations section.

- All and every single one of the currently featured off-site (Emphasis on this part, on-site respect threads are far less problematic as they have been evaluated already (Being generally used for CRTs before being then recycled for featuring and all) and their content isn't as easy to suddendly get compromised as non-archived links to external websites of variable reliability, so they can stay by default) respect threads are removed from the pages, then they are manually eventually (re)added as certain users may desire with the process outlined in the first-mentioned editing rule on this post.
Thank you.

@SamanPatou @Starter_Pack @Abstractions

Would any of you be willing to handle the first part please?

Sorry for the double post, but regarding this part, it probably would be best being handled in another thread as it's somewhat beyond the topic of this thread.
Okay. No problem. I have noted it down in my to-do list.

Please explain further what you have in mind Bobsican.

If I got it right, we have to find a place where to put links to RT blogs within the pages for each kind of profile (characters, weapons...), right?
Yes, that's the case, as I've explained in my previous post, most formats can just be slightly edited to mention something along the lines of "This section also covers respect threads, but make sure to check the Editing Rules for more details over those if desired." in the respective Feats section, given it's optional and it's where it should be for consistency and ease of finding purposes, given that several profiles tend to insert them arbitrarily around the end of the profile as well currently.
And as mentioned before, civilization and verse pages currently don't have proper places to feature this kind of stuff, the former could have this section right below the Weaknesses section, to remain consistent with the other formats that have it in the same way, and verse pages could feature them below the Calculations section.

Can you explain in an easy to understand well-structured manner what you currently want us to do here please?

In a nutshell, the standard format pages need to be updated with mentioning where respect threads may be featured, namely the Feats section. Civilization and verse pages also need this added accordingly to remain consistent with how we treat calculations and the like, the former can have it below the Weaknesses section to remain consistent with the other cases, and the other under the Calculations section.

After this, we can proceed purging every single currently featured off-site respect thread that's linked directly, a list of the ones found may be made so certain users may try making their own blog post for the ones they find relevant enought to evaluate them.

We probably have to wait for Saman and the others here. I do not have the time and focus to handle it on my own. My apologies.

Personally I'd remove the "all of" from the standard "List all of the X's amazing feats", I find it a bit misleading but it's not a big deal

Civilizations can have a basic "Feats: List (all of) the Civilization's amazing feats" Under the weaknesses, as Bob proposed

Verse pages can have "Feats: List (all of) the amazing feats performed by the characters, civilizations, weapons and vehicles of the verse" under the calculations, always following Bob's good proposal.

All of the pages can have the following sentence added "It is possible to add Respect Thread links to the list, as long as they follow the policies on the subject provided on the Editing Rules page"

Personally I'd remove the "all of" from the standard "List all of the X's amazing feats", I find it a bit misleading but it's not a big deal
That seems fine to me.
Civilizations can have a basic "Feats: List (all of) the Civilization's amazing feats" Under the weaknesses, as Bob proposed
Okay. As long as that follows the pattern structure of character profile pages, it is probably fine. I am uncertain though, given what I responded below.
Verse pages can have "Feats: List (all of) the amazing feats performed by the characters, civilizations, weapons and vehicles of the verse" under the calculations, always following Bob's good proposal.
I do not think that verse pages should have respect threads for all the characters and weapons combined.
All of the pages can have the following sentence added "It is possible to add Respect Thread links to the list, as long as they follow the policies on the subject provided on the Editing Rules page"
That seems fine to me.

I do not think that verse pages should have respect threads for all the characters and weapons combined.
Yes, it sounds a bit too much for verses with many RT, and too les for others with just a few of them (like Pokémon).

Okay. As long as that follows the pattern structure of character profile pages, it is probably fine. I am uncertain though, given what I responded below.
The curent pattern of the character profile page is List all of the character's amazing feats. Strength feats, speed feats, durability feats, etc. You can judge a person's power by their feats. We can just adapt that one and replace the words character and person with civilization, vehicle or weapon.

The reason verse pages can have a ton of respect threads of anything that has been accepted for the verse is exactly for that reason, to ease finding the ones that are being featured in their pages, like how verses now can feature accepted calculations for anything related to it.

The curent pattern of the character profile page is List all of the character's amazing feats. Strength feats, speed feats, durability feats, etc. You can judge a person's power by their feats. We can just adapt that one and replace the words character and person with civilization, vehicle or weapon.
Okay. That is probably fine.

The reason verse pages can have a ton of respect threads of anything that has been accepted for the verse is exactly for that reason, to ease finding the ones that are being featured in their pages, like how verses now can feature accepted calculations for anything related to it.
I am not sure if it is realistic.

How exactly it isn't? The current respect threads that are being featured are just going to be removed for the most part, and it isn't an obligation to have every single one of them evaluated. Extreme cases with actual hundreds or the like can be sorted out by author and with some formatting help to prevent it from taking too much space, yet keeping it easy to navigate in.

Calculations affect the verse in its entirety, as usually they cover tier and scaling of many characters, while RT are for single characters. Marvel and DC pages would have an extremely long section, even with a scrolling list I'm not sure if it would be good.

On the other hand, verses with just one, two or a handful of RT would have this additional section that just covers a few characters, and I'm not sure it would be good either.

Yes, I would also prefer to keep respect threads away from the verse pages. There would be too many of them, and turn too messy in terms of structure.

Calculations affect the verse in its entirety, as usually they cover tier and scaling of many characters, while RT are for single characters. Marvel and DC pages would have an extremely long section, even with a scrolling list I'm not sure if it would be good.

On the other hand, verses with just one, two or a handful of RT would have this additional section that just covers a few characters, and I'm not sure it would be good either.
I feel the need to note that on rare occasions, RTs happen for verses and not single characters. Since that subreddit has a 5 feat requirement for its respect threads, short verses with many characters each with only a few feats, like Juuni Taisen: Zodiac War, have the entire verse in one respect thread.

Okay. I still think that they would be out of place in verse pages though.

Probably yeah, those sorts of things can just be linked on the relevant character pages.

At this point I guess I can apply the new sentence to the characters, vehicles, weapons and civilizations standard format pages, right?

Sorry, but I am dizzy in general due to never getting any proper breaks.

What new sentence are you referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back