• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Off-Site Respect Threads on Wiki Pages (Staff Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are allowed to do that, and many pages already include Feats sections like that.

They need to be placed in blog posts and evaluated and accepted first though.

I've updated the standard format for Characters, Weapons, Vehicles and Civilizations.

The main purpose thread has been likely extinguished now, the only thing that remains to do is removing external RT from all pages, but it can be done overtime and by everyone, I guess.

I don't know if it's better to make a list of each profile that got a RT removed, but I guess people can leave a report of the pages they edited when they do it.

They need to be placed in blog posts and evaluated and accepted first though.
Does this mean that other profiles which have respect thread-like lists of feats in their Feats section need to be removed? Or should we assume that they've been grandfathered in?

On-site respect threads shouldn't be affected, and the rule currently only applies to off-site respect threads.
One of the main reasons they are basically being grandfathered in is because they have been evaluated before by being used for a CRT more often than not, although I wouldn't oppose yet another rule to clarify how to deal with on-site respect threads and feat additions in general.

It probably would go like:
"On-site respect threads and direct feat sections may also be featured in profiles, but they must be evaluated and accepted in a Content Revision Thread first."

Saman's stuff looks fine, yes.

What do we currently need to do here? My attention is constantly very split, so it is hard to keep track.

The main purpose thread has been likely extinguished now, the only thing that remains to do is removing external RT from all pages, but it can be done overtime and by everyone, I guess.

I don't know if it's better to make a list of each profile that got a RT removed, but I guess people can leave a report of the pages they edited when they do it.
This
On-site respect threads shouldn't be affected, and the rule currently only applies to off-site respect threads.
One of the main reasons they are basically being grandfathered in is because they have been evaluated before by being used for a CRT more often than not, although I wouldn't oppose yet another rule to clarify how to deal with on-site respect threads and feat additions in general.

It probably would go like:
"On-site respect threads and direct feat sections may also be featured in profiles, but they must be evaluated and accepted in a Content Revision Thread first."
And maybe this

Okay. That seems fine to me. Your suggested modification to our rule text can probably be added.

Please link to where I added the old text, so I can do so.

Thank you.

Is this fine?

I think so.
Also, perhaps it would be a good idea to ask the following to see if more should be added:
Feat sections allow any kind of feat the character has been done, or ones that are relevant for tiering? As I've seen plenty of cases having listed a ton of tier 9 feats when they are overall irrelevant for our purposes as they're rated on a far higher tier, for example.

I think that feat lists should focus on ones that are relevant to tiering.

Firstly, I think feat lists that only focus on ones relevant to tiering are completely pointless. Those should already be represented in the AP/Dura sections. Including them again would be completely and utterly redundant.

Secondly, I was hoping to use feat lists for other uses; i.e. for a character with a stamina draining ability I can show how potently it affected their target each time it was used. How exhausted it made them, how close it brought them to death, and how long it took for those effects to come about. This would be useful for battles but would really clog up any other section on the page if I tried including it there. I think this is a pretty compelling use-case for listing feats that aren't relevant to tiering.

I think the restriction here would be based on the feats in question being listed serving some purpose that isn't redundant, which I'm fine with.
Anyways, such rule could be worded as:
"Content featured in the Feats section of a page shouldn't be redundant to what's already featured in other sections of it, in addition, they must serve some use for our purposes, for example, listing several wall-level feats is irrelevant for a character that's already rated on a far higher tier."
Also, @Agnaa , that sort of stuff would go in the Notable Attacks/Techniques section.

I am well-versed with the NA&T section, but listing and describing a dozen feats would clutter it up way too much.

And I really don't understand what y'all expect the Feats section to be used for if it's not "Feats that give them their current tier" or "Feats that are below their current tier".

Like, should SCP-3812's currently listed feat against 239 be removed because 239's a far lower tier than him? Almost all feat sections would have to be deleted.

TBH I wouldn't mind if all Feats sections got removed, given that this "feature" is showing to be counterproductive out of promoting listing stuff that's either redundant or belongs on other sections of a profile.
However, if the plans is to just use it to avoid cluttering, then I'm fine with that, but it should be specified or we'll remain with the same issue as it won't be encouraged or enforced at all otherwise.

If that is seriously being considered I'd like a lot more than 3 people to be weighing in.

I think feats lists are fine and good to stay, they can be compressed and put in a scroll box if they are too long.

I disagree with only adding feats relevant to the tier, it's pointless and I'm sure it would severely shorten the list or just make it redundant. And about the latter, I think it's good to add feats that are already listed in the AP or P&W, for sheer coherence with what a feats list is. It wouldn't be too much redundant as long as they are followed by other feats.

About wall level feats, instead of listing every single instance of a character breaking a wall or making a hole into the ground, a bunch of scans of the same thing can be included in the same sentence; like "consistently shown to be able of breaking doors" "repeteadly cracked walls with their bare hands" "destroyed furniture multiple times" and so on.

It's also good to add feats for other statistics and factors, like stamina, range, skill, experience and more. Even the effectiveness and other details of a power, a technique and such could stay there, as they don't necessarily fit well in the NA&T sections.

So should we start a wiki management thread for removing respect threads, especially from Marvel and DC Comics characters, or let it happen gradually on its own?

I don't think another thread is necessary, we should just keep a list of the profiles from which RT have been removed and update it when someone reports a removal, either because them or someone else did it.

Wouldn't a thread be useful for that purpose?

On a second thought, yes, the op could host this list.

Maybe I can open it, so I can follow and update it when people report a profile that needs to be listed.

You can start a thread in the wiki management forum if you wish.

It should not be stuck to the top of the forum though.

In that case I guess content within the Feats section of a page can just be any sort of feat the character has done, regardless of usability or redundancy?

Well, it should preferably not be redundant or useless at least.

About wall level feats, instead of listing every single instance of a character breaking a wall or making a hole into the ground, a bunch of scans of the same thing can be included in the same sentence; like "consistently shown to be able of breaking doors" "repeteadly cracked walls with their bare hands" "destroyed furniture multiple times" and so on.
This is my proposal for redundant or "useless" feats.

We still need to word it for the rule or else chances are the Feats section will be filled with virtually redundant or useless content more often than not.

Would something like this work?

If a character performed the same type of feat multiple times (for example, the destruction of a door or a wall) please don't list it more than a single time in their "Feats" section. Alternatively, a sentence describing a feat can link to a collection of images about that kind of feat.

It definitely needs some tweak, especially the repetition of feat in the second part, but atm I couldn't think anything better. I also realized that a collection of images, like on imgur or in a blog, is better than linking more images to multiple words.

Well that kinda defeats the point of something I was hoping to do with the feat lists.
Secondly, I was hoping to use feat lists for other uses; i.e. for a character with a stamina draining ability I can show how potently it affected their target each time it was used. How exhausted it made them, how close it brought them to death, and how long it took for those effects to come about. This would be useful for battles but would really clog up any other section on the page if I tried including it there. I think this is a pretty compelling use-case for listing feats that aren't relevant to tiering.
I guess I'd just have to make a blog for this then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back