• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nyarlathotep and Yog Sothoth VS Mr. Mxyzptlk

"the primitive understanding of the cosmology there only ends at being 5-6 dimensional because it was mentioned that the world of gods and men (that was the tridimensional world) is an infinitesimal of an infintesimal thing that was refering to yog sothoth."

This is possibly the most confusing case of downplay I've ever seen, considering the guy makes direct mention of Lovecraft explaining something of four dimensions being cut from something of five dimensions in the story, which only happens in a single sentence and is immediately followed by the words "and so on up to the dizzy and reachless heights of archetypal infinity."

So props to him for making my head spin, I guess.

''the idea that there is an infinite dimensional space time of multiverses (which is literally how modern fictions understand it) did not exist during the time of lovecraft. heck. the idea the a multiverse of infinite timelines of infinite possibility will not exist as a concept until 30+ years after lovecrafts death.

it is revealed there that lovecrafts understanding of dimensions is being a part of something greater. descended lines of beings. your father is an infinitesimal phase. so is your grandfather. it is nonsensical to apply our current understanding of space time dimensions and is more like a metaphor than anything else.

how dimensions worked in fiction back then were not timeline universes and multiverses. the multiverse of lovecraft (classic) were like universes like heaven and hell. and the universe is an infinitesimal construct of an infinitesimal construct. in fact. time is not even really seen as a dimension in this work so these dimensions are only spatial. not spatio temporal.

here. yog embodies mathematics. but this would only apply to the mathematics that lovecraft knew at the time.

i already gave you the quotes where lovecraft thinks that dimensions are finite and limited. two quotes and that the infinite archetype is not referring to the number of dimensions there are. but it is an infinity that is separately outside of limited dimensions.

his understanding of mathematics will not apply to newer concepts. during that time. geometric dimensional understanding is only 5 dimensional. this is consistent and understandable during his life time. that is why lovecraft ended naming the number of dimensions at 5.

this may be the worst downplay I've ever seen.

So, this "user" of comicvine dind read any single works of HP.L and downlay the whole verse bi finding random at "control + F and search finite + dimension/universe"? xDDD

Back