• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive discussion

Me and a friend have been discussing some feats but I'll only talk about ones from the games that I have went through. Currently I have finished watching gameplay of Ninja Gaiden NES, Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, NG Shadow, and Ninja Gaiden X. I will start on the arcade game and Ancient Ship of Doom tomorrow since they're pretty short

I heard the original trilogy Ryu shouldn't scale to the one in modern games because he trains hard over time and that's probably true or something. His best feats are 9-B in this era, I mean its an NES game so you can't expect much. However, there's a feat that could be Country level that's listed on Ryu's profile right now (its not continental)

In Ninja Gaiden II, Ryu can destroy these rocks thrown at him.
In Ninja Gaiden Shadow, he can destroy these machines. Since they are machines however, its hard to calc because they can blow up by themselves

For speed, he already has those lightning dodging feats, though its probably just electricity and not lightning (except for one)

In terms of resistances, he has resistance to biological transmutation. In terms of hax, he has soul manipulation, fire, energy projection, homing attack, extrasensory perception and a few more I forgot

Following.

Its been ages since I went through the NES games so I'll prolly get round to that some time to refresh me memory.

I still can decently recall modern era Ninja Gaiden stuff though and can cite the important lore stuff if asked.
Me and a friend have been discussing some feats but I'll only talk about ones from the games that I have went through. Currently I have finished watching gameplay of Ninja Gaiden NES, Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, NG Shadow, and Ninja Gaiden X. I will start on the arcade game and Ancient Ship of Doom tomorrow since they're pretty short

I heard the original trilogy Ryu shouldn't scale to the one in modern games because he trains hard over time and that's probably true or something. His best feats are 9-B in this era, I mean its an NES game so you can't expect much.
I was thinking both timelines are too different and that both should either have separate profiles or different keys.

I prolly won't be super active here btw. Researching Ninja Gaiden took a lot out of me back when I was going through the verse. The lore stuff is hard to miss. Given I was watching walkthroughs too, most didn't even collect those. Had to watch different people play the games in the hopes one of them would find what I was looking for

Following.

Its been ages since I went through the NES games so I'll prolly get round to that some time to refresh me memory.

I still can decently recall modern era Ninja Gaiden stuff though and can cite the important lore stuff if asked.

I was thinking both timelines are too different and that both should either have separate profiles or different keys.

I prolly won't be super active here btw. Researching Ninja Gaiden took a lot out of me back when I was going through the verse. The lore stuff is hard to miss. Given I was watching walkthroughs too, most didn't even collect those. Had to watch different people play the games in the hopes one of them would find what I was looking for
I looked at canon explanations before I started and the NES games are the same timeline and continuity

I was moreso thinking about how Ninja Team isn't consistent with the lore lol.
Kinda a lot so I'll just post this

There's like, a bunch of retcons to the lore that it's insane lmao.

I was moreso thinking about how Ninja Team isn't consistent with the lore lol.
Kinda a lot so I'll just post this

There's like, a bunch of retcons to the lore that it's insane lmao.

Are you sure that's the right video? In the timestamp you linked, he doesn't mention anything about the NES games, just things about Fatal Frame

Didn't mean to timestamp whoops.

Also, the retcons seem to start around DoA Dimensions. After that, the lore is inconsistent regarding how the games fit together since how Ryu meets certain people changes, along with some fights going differently. Iirc his relationship with Rachel is changed too. And they made Ayane incompetent
I looked at canon explanations before I started and the NES games are the same timeline and continuity

Do you have this on hand btw? If so, I imagine they'd prolly still be included in a single profile regardless of any inconsistencies

I am not knowledgeable on DoA, but for Ninja Gaiden. I have played the NES era and also parts of the 3D reboot and from I have heard, the NES games chronically take place after the 3D era. Given that Joe/Ken Hayabusa is still alive in those games but he dies in the 1st NES game. And this page seems to elaborate more.

I am not knowledgeable on DoA, but for Ninja Gaiden. I have played the NES era and also parts of the 3D reboot and from I have heard, the NES games chronically take place after the 3D era. Given that Joe/Ken Hayabusa is still alive in those games but he dies in the 1st NES game. And this page seems to elaborate more.
But Ryu met Irene for the first time in Ninja Gaiden 1. How is it possible that it takes place after the modern games? Would it be better to assume Ryu's father just got retconned back to life in the modern games for an unexplained reason?

It is common for writers to not think ahead of time and often contradict themselves as making continuity appear loose, but Ninja Gaiden II/Sigma II has her a code name as Sonia. And in Razor's Edge, I don't remember her physically interacting with Ryu though she does help him with a backseat roll and mostly speaks to Ayane. But the NES game may have taken place well after the 3D games and that he might not have recognized her + he only remembered the name Sonia at the time, not Irene.

But it's either the NES versions take place after the 3D version, or they're just different timelines. But then again, Dead or Alive takes place after the NG games regardless and older DoA games reference NES era games more where as the newer ones reference the reboot more.

It is common for writers to not think ahead of time and often contradict themselves as making continuity appear loose, but Ninja Gaiden II/Sigma II has her a code name as Sonia. And in Razor's Edge, I don't remember her physically interacting with Ryu though she does help him with a backseat roll and mostly speaks to Ayane. But the NES game may have taken place well after the 3D games and that he might not have recognized her + he only remembered the name Sonia at the time, not Irene.

But it's either the NES versions take place after the 3D version, or they're just different timelines. But then again, Dead or Alive takes place after the NG games regardless and older DoA games reference NES era games more where as the newer ones reference the reboot more.
And is there anything implying the older Dead or Alive games take place before the modern NG games?

And is there anything implying the older Dead or Alive games take place before the modern NG games?
Not really, regardless of timeline or reboot, DoA consistently takes place after all the mainline NG games. Though old school NG games are implied to take place before the original DoA and not sure how modern DoA games treat older DoA games but modern NG games take place before them regardless.
If the first NES game took place after the modern ones it would definitely be bad for his speed because Ryu in that game didn't dodge a pistol bullet from a gun he saw. Hopefully there's better cutscene speed feats
That could be considered PIS/CIS (He was distracted and it happened by ambush), because he can repel bullets with his sword in gameplay. And small note, it was a tranquilizer, not a bullet. Some boss fights also attack by summoning lightning IIRC.

That is true but don't we count cutscenes over gameplay feats here? He was ambushed I know but he had time to react or just move out the way
That applies if cutscenes consists of feats higher than gameplay feats, but if the opposite happens, it's case by case. We don't consider "Taking multiple hits to kill fodder enemies" to be feats for fodder enemies usually, but stuff like consistent powers and abilities such as the player character being able to lift/throw giant objects or dodge/reaction to lightning bolts we still consider those legit feats usually.

The lasers don't really have anything going for them being light speed

The lasers don't really have anything going for them being light speed

maybe reflection depending on what the floor is made out of.
but sadly it seems like the lasers I saw in Ninja gaiden 1 or 3 are all laser attacks that come out in a frame that Ryu dodges the sweep of.
2 migh thave something though.

Don't think it quite reaches the requirement to be lightspeed sadly.

This seems like a bullet time thing, and enemies in the game don't slow down from his perspective so Ryu will probably not scale to it
not sure why the former would change anything. and the latter probably doesnt' matter as much since the enemies can't block it vs Ryu who could.
So if the feat is legit. I don't see why Ryu wouldn't scale.

yes but nothing on in the castle was destroyed, and someone who tried to calc it got MCB resaults. sure there's probably better feats, but I wouldn't say it's pointless to calc. at minimum it scales to Yaiba.
Ok then. I will go through more of the series to see if there's better feats so we don't have to wait for things to be calced. There's this scan Medeus posted which looks like either 3-A or Low 2-C and I'll see if Ryu scales to it

Back