• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nier Massive Speed Upgrades

In the short story "The Flame of Prometheus", there are a few feats and statements that could mean hefty speed upgrades for the Nier verse, and in addition they are more consistent in their occurence and logical in their reasoning than the current MHS rating. So I'll cut to the chase, start giving context, and start quoting. I have the book it's featured in right next to me, but no scans (dunno where to find them), so hopefully I can get away with a "Source: dude trust me" just this once.

Context: a P-33 utilizes a particle beam. This would boost one of its attack speed ratings to Rel+. An evolved P-33 easily reacts to it. While evolved, it's upgraded via slapped-on P-33 computational parts, which should still make it much inferior to YoRHa combat units, which are several millennia more advanced. This evolved P-33 is also shown in its internal monologue to perform complex and even philosophical thought and reach conclusions within nanoseconds whilst fighting a squad of P-33s , which means its reactions and even combat speed are on the level of Rel+. It even insinuates that it could easily hack them similarly quickly. There is also evidence to suggest that both it and the main cast of the original Nier qualify for Supersonic combat speed. Between that and High 8-C AP, Nier vs Demon's Souls when? Now for quotes.

"The four masses mutated, and stood up.
They were robots.
P-33 models, designed for combat. They were a relatively bothersome model.
The eye of an enemy lit up, and before I knew it the robot was firing a particle ray. Four, five, six seconds, the beam's particles disintegrated various objects in the surroundings.
I was enduring.
I was using two of my forelimbs, made of a hardened material, to shield myself from the attack."

"As soon as the particle beam was exhausted, the three P-33 models in the rear launched missiles. I retaliated with a modified grapnel launcher, using it as a spear. The metal rods pierced each and every missile."

"I decided to use some spare nanoseconds to reflect about my enemies.
Why did they attack me?
Why were they not able to self-evolve?
Of course, they were most likely being ordered to attack me, and ordered to not evolve.
But then why were they only capable of executing orders?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
It was simple to hack their operating systems and render them non-functional. But I couldn't make myself do it. At that point, they would be nothing but tools."

So, the evolved P-33 reacts to a particle beam, which moves at near-light speed. And this isn't aim-based reaction, given the addition of "before I knew it". Given that this a short story wherein this is the only time this iteration of the character displays feats, we can't really cry outlier. In addition, their quick thinking corroborates this feat. A nanosecond is 1/1,000,000,000th of a second, or 0.000000001 seconds; "some spare nanoseconds" would slot quite easily into the Rel+ speed bracket, which starts at 0.00000000667 seconds.

In addition, the P-33 which serves as the protagonist of this short story, is seen equipped with Miniguns in its boss fight in the original Nier, and demonstrated the ability to generate shockwaves through sheer force in the same fight. Assuming missiles come standard with P-33s (more than half seen in combat use them, so I'd say it is a safe assumption), this would be three solid and consistent pieces of evidence in favor of Supersonic OG Nier, and 2 solid and consistent pieces of evidence for NieR:Automata, upscaling from the upgraded P-33. We can also count the fact that the upgraded P-33 doesn't use shockwaves or miniguns in its fight with the P-33 squad as evidence if we so desire, by assuming that the protagonist P-33 deemed them too slow to be useful. Another tenuous piece of evidence would be NieR:Automata characters supposedly dodging the Pod lasers, which I've heard can occur, albeit I've yet to replicate or otherwise see it myself, but I'll go looking.

Here's the boss fight from the OG Nier, with P-33's shockwaves even moving rather slow when viewed by Nier.

Last edited:
Also, how do I add scans I've photographed myself, without having to go through the trouble of uploading them somewhere else, finding them on Google images, and pasting them?

I am playing through the game for the first time, nearly done with it, so I will come back to it after that.
tenor.png

Also, how do I add scans I've photographed myself, without having to go through the trouble of uploading them somewhere else, finding them on Google images, and pasting them?
Imgur.

Creating an account on a different site and only using it once was also something I wanted to avoid, is that the only other option?
Pretty much, to upload images to the wiki you need to link a URL. Needs to be an external site.

Has this ever been resolved? Cuz I have my own thread with findings that would corroborate with this as well. Namely that you can dodge lasers and EMP's pointblank in the Nier Automata game.

Also, there are online translations you can use.

The nanoseconds statement would've been a very powerful argument, but it is not included in either translations featured the nier wiki and lparchive translation, so there is a high chance it comes from an inaccurate translation that exaggerated things.

The "before I know it" statement in the other translations is refeering to being bathed by a barrage of particle cannons, and not specifically to being fired upon for the first time. It is also followed by a statement about the capability to predict and react to enemy attack patterns. So it becomes more shaky.

The nanoseconds statement would've been a very powerful argument, but it is not included in either translations featured the nier wiki and lparchive translation, so there is a high chance it comes from an inaccurate translation that exaggerated things.

The "before I know it" statement in the other translations is refeering to being bathed by a barrage of particle cannons, and not specifically to being fired upon for the first time. It is also followed by a statement about the capability to predict and react to enemy attack patterns. So it becomes more shaky.
Hmm, the nanoseconds thing being absent in other translations is a shame, but I think the second thing comes down to a measure of analytical prediction and higher intelligence that allows Beepy (the evolved P-33) to outperform the others easily in the fight. The "before I knew it" aslo implies a lack of wind-up and also makes it unlikely that Beepy was reacting with any measure of precog, so he handles the unevolved P-33s without issue due to the mechanical rigidity and lacking skill of their fighting style.

Not sure this will help but I found a copy of the original japaense one. I don't intend on translating the entire thing but...

The paragraphs in question are

突然、形が変わって立っているように見えます。彼らはロボットです。特殊なP-33攻撃モデル。これは比較的厄介な状況になっています。

ロボットの片方の目が大きな閃光で爆発したと思ったのですが、それが強力なパーティクルガンを発射し、その光が私に降り注いでいたことがわかりました。 4、5、6秒間、粒子ビームが到達できるすべての円周を押し戻しました。

しかし、私はその激しい攻撃には影響されませんでした。硬い素材で作られた合計12本の脚を手に入れたので、2本の前肢が攻撃から私を守るための完璧なシールドであることがわかりました。

この特定の攻撃は、予想される多くのパターンの1つでした。計画したメモリデータベースから、この状況を処理するための特定の方法にアクセスします。能力が向上したことで、さまざまな角度から特定の状況までの可能性を簡単に処理できるようになりました。

This comes out as

"Suddenly, it changes shape and looks like it is standing. They are robots. A special P-33 attack model. This is a relatively difficult situation.
I thought one of the robot's eyes exploded with a big flash of light, but it fired a powerful particle gun, and I found that the light was shining on me. Pushed back all the circumferences that the particle beam could reach for 4, 5 and 6 seconds.
But I wasn't affected by the violent attack. I got a total of 12 legs made of hard material and found that the 2 forelimbs were the perfect shield to protect me from attacks.
This particular attack was one of many expected patterns. Access the specific way to handle this situation from the planned memory database. The increased capabilities make it easier to handle possibilities from different angles to specific situations."

Gotta remember that there isn't just translation but localization. So in the original japanese, the beam fires and Beepy initially mistook it as the eyes exploding but corrected itself and realized it was a particle beam. So for the japanese one, it was reaction rather than anticipation.

Last edited:
Good grief. I was sitting on top of it the whole time. I forgot I had the books. This is a snippet from the official translated Nier Automata Short Story Long. Published by VIZ Media San Francisco. So this is an official translation of the book. Is this sufficient?

Looking at the Nier verse, the thing is chock full of attacks that are either light speed of near light speed. You can dodge the lasers and EMP attacks automata (seriously, no one believes me. I can tell you how to do the damn dodge yourself). The Long Story Short and in game cutscenes talk about dodging lasers based on visuals. And according to the world guide, their missiles and bullets are all propelled with particle beams.

Last edited:
Tbh, I think using in game footage to calc for speed is somewhat iffy, as depending on the angle on where it came from, I think results may vary wildly. I prefer if we're using something like a cutscene. But yeah, the feats are relativistic+ at the very least. I'm sorta neutral towards the speed calc overall.

Also nanoseconds are like HH to MHS iirc so not too impressive compared to other things we have

Are the calcs fully accepted yet?

Also just putting it here (More of a sneak peak for a future CRT) but I think some of the scaling is wack. Such as Commander White being A2 level or 9S being around the level of 2B

That and A2 never tanks the 7-A explosion point blank, so I think if I'm able to find enough info, there could be an upgrade using inverse square law.

Tbh, I think using in game footage to calc for speed is somewhat iffy, as depending on the angle on where it came from, I think results may vary wildly. I prefer if we're using something like a cutscene. But yeah, the feats are relativistic+ at the very least. I'm sorta neutral towards the speed calc overall.

Also nanoseconds are like HH to MHS iirc so not too impressive compared to other things we have

Are the calcs fully accepted yet?
No. Not yet. Wanted to wait until after new years before asking again in case everyone was on vacation or something.

But that's also why I encourage others to try the dodges themselves. The dodging is actually completely consistent as long as the AI doesn't do a brainlet move like ending their dodge in the laser or dodging back into the laser.

Though disagree that nanoseconds translates to MHS. MHS+ is 2.94E-6 - 3.336E-7. A nanosecond is 1E-9. So that'd be relativistic at 3.336E-8 - 6.67E-9. Expand it out and it's anywhere from FTL at 3.336E-9 - 3.336E-10 to sub-relativistic+at 6.67E-8 - 3.336E-8

Last edited:
Though disagree that nanoseconds translates to MHS. MHS+ is 2.94E-6 - 3.336E-7. A nanosecond is 1E-9. So that'd be relativistic at 3.336E-8 - 6.67E-9.
Ah ok

But that's also why I encourage others to try the dodges themselves. The dodging is actually completely consistent as long as the AI doesn't do a brainlet move like ending their dodge in the laser or dodging back into the laser.
People have trouble with that? That shit is easy as hell

People have trouble with that? That shit is easy as hell
That's not the best part. The best part is that none of the dodges are done by me. I have auto-dodge on to guarantee that I didn't simply anticipate the laser being fired. Hence why I tell ppl to do it themselves since all they have to do is turn on auto-dodge, find an enemy with an aimed laser, then stand still. I've done this with pretty much every aimed laser enemy except one. It also guarantees consistent results. This should be the epitome of laser dodging gameplay. And even the bad guys can also react to lasers. I'm up to 6 videos showcasing this.

I also decided to toss in the passage mentioned in this thread in the supporting evidence which there is a lot of. Makes it easier since approval of one would mean approval of both.

So what are the problems left? Is it that there aren't enough evidence?
I have no idea. If I had to be honest I actually wonder if my videos were viewed.

I was told that the EMP was not instantaneous, that dodging lasers by avoiding the red lines before they fired do not count, and you can't outspeed the laser. This confused me as my videos debunk all three of these things since the EMP takes 1 frame to reach max distance on not just my video but any video on youtube will show the same. So pretty much the definition of instantaneous. I never avoided the red lines and in fact stood still in them. And the dodging shows that you can dodge the laser.

So I asked for clarification, asked what exactly must be shown, how should I modify what I have, and I made a video montaging only the pod laser program which has no warning lines and asked if this would suffice. It's been radio silence ever since.

In case this was not enough I also took images from the world guide which states their bullets and missiles are propelled by particle beams, made a reminder of 9S blocking an EMP in a cutscene, took an image of the passage mentioned in this thread regarding a thousand year out of date robotic enemy having a processing time in nanoseconds, and just posted two videos of enemies also reacting to and blocking my lasers too to show that this feat seems common place. And here I am, still waiting.

I'm a bit busy sorry. But just curious. Do you plan on doing AP upgrades?

I might reattempt the MT KALA feat as IIRC, A2 wasn't at the epicenter. Meaning she won't scale to the full explosion

I'm a bit busy sorry. But just curious. Do you plan on doing AP upgrades?

I might reattempt the MT KALA feat as IIRC, A2 wasn't at the epicenter. Meaning she won't scale to the full explosion
Np.

I don't plan on doing any AP upgrades any time soon. I just went for speed and strength since they were the obvious ones that needed change (Class K for lifting a stick of metal the size of an 8 story tall building? And all aforementioned small pile of light speed stuff.).

I'd have to read Short Story Long again to get more info on A2 though. That being said, I'm pretty sure I'm also being ignored so if you want your calcs to be approved you might want to put them separate to mine.

dodging lasers by avoiding the red lines before they fired do not count, and you can't outspeed the laser
TBF, this is textbook aim dodging.

But I don't get the that Relativistic+ is the only feat we have? We have a Relativistic nanosecond feat. Playes can very easily dodge the EMP attacks. As well as you can dodge the pod laser as it is being fired. The novels mention laser dodging. And many of the attacks shown are SOL. And the player can dodge all of these.

And compare all of that, with one MHS feat. Relativistic+ to FTL is insanely more consistent than MHS.

I think it's better to pile the feats together so to make it more cohesive. I'll try do so in a bit.

But I don't get the that Relativistic+ is the only feat we have? We have a Relativistic nanosecond feat. Playes can very easily dodge the EMP attacks. As well as you can dodge the pod laser as it is being fired. The novels mention laser dodging. And many of the attacks shown are SOL. And the player can dodge all of these.

And compare all of that, with one MHS feat. Relativistic+ to FTL is insanely more consistent than MHS.

I think it's better to pile the feats together so to make it more cohesive. I'll try do so in a bit.
Also the MHS feat is spaceflight and there's not much suggesting that the cast dogfight at that speed, really the opposite seeing as deceleration is something you'll use on a fairly frequent basis in-game to dodge more difficult projectile formations

Yeah, but I don't do that in the vids. I stand perfectly still inside the aiming line. After that, it's all the dodge chip. I mean, if you still think this is aim dodging please let me know what to do and I'll make the change.

I always disagreed with that MHS conclusion. From what I can tell they're saying that because the flight units are MHS therefore her reaction and combat speed must also be MHS. But we have supersonic jets and fighter jets in the real world but I strongly doubt air force pilots have supersonic reaction speed.

I got a response so I'm taking a moment to make sure my ducks are in a row before I respond. Also making a video that shows they can dodge bog standard bullets and missiles. Be very awkward if they can dodge lasers but not bullets. Though, if the world guide is to be believed, these bullets are far from bog standard.

I'm also making all the speed feats and whatnot are also in one place.

Also the MHS feat is spaceflight and there's not much suggesting that the cast dogfight at that speed, really the opposite seeing as deceleration is something you'll use on a fairly frequent basis in-game to dodge more difficult projectile formations
Tbf, some of the machines could seemingly keep up with the flight units in the air and keep track of them.

Back