• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nier:Automata Re-Upgrade

Previously people scaled 2B's durability to the Black Box detonation of A2, which turned a small-ish mountain into a crater. This scaling was rejected as an outlier feat in this thread and the verse downgraded accordingly. Honestly, I really don't wanna do this, but the argumention in that thread is ...wrong. The core argument in that thread, and the reason the downgrade was accepted, is that 2B detonated her own Black Box fusion reactor in the Prologue and died as a result. Which is true. But she didn't die because of the explosion, her physical body was pretty much unscathed - you can go back to the starting area and retrieve your none-worse-for-wear corpse and all the items on it as part of one of the first canonical quests in the game! 2B and 9S got killed because the Black Box contains their consciousness and they blew it up.

Which is true. But she didn't die because of the explosion, her physical body was pretty much unscathed - you can go back to the starting area and retrieve your none-worse-for-wear corpse and all the items on it as part of one of the first canonical quests in the game!
I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen at all

The only thing you retrieve is 2B's big sword, which was far away from the detonation.

Not only that, but during the beginning of Route C, 2B and 9S resort to blowing up their black boxes in order to kill the other YoRHa units.

The only way I see black box scaling being valid is by using inverse square law for A2 surviving the destruction of Mount Kala, which iirc, A2 wasn't at the epicenter of the explosion

I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen at all

The only thing you retrieve is 2B's big sword, which was far away from the detonation.

Not only that, but during the beginning of Route C, 2B and 9S resort to blowing up their black boxes in order to kill the other YoRHa units.

The only way I see black box scaling being valid is by using inverse square law for A2 surviving the destruction of Mount Kala, which iirc, A2 wasn't at the epicenter of the explosion
Actually I can confirm you can. Plus there are youtube vids on it.

And in terms of survival, in both instances it was the simultaneous detonation of two black boxes. A2 only faced a single one. Perhaps one is survivable and two is too much.

Though it does appear A2 was at the center. Big article so search for the phrase "No2 screams just as a huge explosion sounds."

I don't see anything suggesting A2 was on the center of the explosion or anything. Even being 30 cm away from the center can drastically lower than results.

Center means she needs to be in contact with the Black Box that exploded, I don't see anything that says she was holding it or something.

Also didn't 2B and 9S's black box explosion completely destroy multiplier YoHRa units who were dog pilling on them?

Assuming a distance of 1 meters gets me 24 MT results or City level. However I don't see anything that suggest A2 was any type of distance away.

A High 7-C+ character, would only need to be somewhere around 5 meters away from the center of the explosion to survive the blast.

I don't see anything suggesting A2 was on the center of the explosion or anything. Even being 30 cm away from the center can drastically lower than results.

Center means she needs to be in contact with the Black Box that exploded, I don't see anything that says she was holding it or something.
Fair enough. The play only suggest she was within audio range so she could have easily been more than a few meters away.

Also didn't 2B and 9S's black box explosion completely destroy multiplier YoHRa units who were dog pilling on them?
Yes, but it could be argued that it was because it was the simultaenous detonation of two black boxes at the same time.

I don't really have an opinion on this going either way. That being said, I did just get the calc for upgrading the blast to Island level approved.

Considering the distance is unknown, the feat likely isn't usable to someone's durability.

Can I get a link to that Island level calc? So I can check the inverse square law with that.

Considering the distance is unknown, the feat likely isn't usable to someone's durability.

Can I get a link to that Island level calc? So I can check the inverse square law with that.
Any luck? I just did a brief crunch of inverse square and yeah, even a few meters out the power drops pretty rapidly.

Also, could it be argued the reason the it results in death in the game is because there are 2 black boxes going off simultaneously? While A2 only had to survive one. And we can see that despite literally holding two of them, the bodies are intact and in good enough condition you can retrieve your equipment.

There's a Nier Automata manga ongoing iirc, so that may give us context. But I dunno when it'll update.

Using the lower end of that calc.

A2 would have to be 15 meters away from the explosions center, or around 49 feet. However an attack two times higher than your durability wouldn't kill you. And I'm not certain how injured she was suppose to be from the explosion. Since the distance is unknown, it's hard to get any rating here without speculating/assuming.

2B and 9S were able to obliterate multiple YoHRa units with their black box explosion. Considering the condition of 2B's body is the same as your own body when you die in any way, I'll just chalk the damage up to gameplay mechanics and not an actual thing. Since you can't find 2B/9S or any other YoHRa's body after the second blast.

A2 would have to be 15 meters away from the explosions center, or around 49 feet. However an attack two times higher than your durability wouldn't kill you. And I'm not certain how injured she was suppose to be from the explosion. Since the distance is unknown, it's hard to get any rating here without speculating/assuming.
Likely not a lot, she was relatively fine after the explosion with only her clothes gone. And it's not like she had access to repairs as she was labelled a fugitive not long after she was discovered to be alive.

Likely not a lot, she was relatively fine after the explosion with only her clothes gone. And it's not like she had access to repairs as she was labelled a fugitive not long after she was discovered to be alive.
Hard to say since YoRHa have the ability to self repair with nanites.

Though couldn't the lack of bodies in the crater be chalked up to being tossed by a concussive force. I mean, the first time you blow up Engles you are in the middle of nowhere and then your body and sword manage to fly across the ocean and land on the bridge. That's a funny image. The second blast not killing any of the infected YoRHa. Just scattering them across the city.

I swear one of the novels covered the A2 prequel, or am I just tripping?

I feel I may need to reread short story long but iirc, that book was ass. There is the stage play, but considering the quality of it and how hard it is to find... maybe no.

I swear one of the novels covered the A2 prequel, or am I just tripping?

I feel I may need to reread short story long but iirc, that book was ass. There is the stage play, but considering the quality of it and how hard it is to find... maybe no.
It's in the short story long. I forget the chapter number but the chapter titled as just YoRHa. I have a link to the translated stage play in the firesanctuary link above.

I could be doing it wrong but from an initial crunch of those numbers and my island numbers you get a city level at its lowest and a mountain level at its highest. Or I could be doing it wrong.

(6000000)/(4pi((15)^2))/2 = 1061.032 kilotons per m^2

6000000 equals the power of the explosion in Kilotons, and 15 is how far away a person is from the center in meters. /2 because this is a ground based explosion and it can't expanded into a full sphere like in the air. This is how much energy is hit in one per m^2 by the time it reaches her. A average human does not take up 1 m^2 of space.

Average human cross area is 0.68 m^2

Energy hit A2 = 1061.03 x 0.68 = 721.50 Kilotons or High 7-C+.

Back