• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Chat or Wiki Rule?

Sera_EX

She Who Dabbles in Fiction
VS Battles
Retired
Hello. This is a proposal for the Vs. Battle Staff.

I've noticed that a lot of people are worried about the constant raids and trolls we have seen in chat recently. Honestly, I can easily detect such spammers and I can tell if someone is a troll or not based off one simple thing: Username.

As Darkanine has stated, not everyone with a ridiculous name is a troll, however, there is a difference between a name like "Chuckles da Stupid Cat" and "Dwayne 'the ROOOOOOOOCK' Johnson". The latter is indefinitely a troll and likely will have an avi of The Rock.

My suggestion is simple: make a rule against these types of names and ban them on sight. It will greatly reduce the number of spammers. This is all based off my own observations.

1. Most spammers will join chat and start spamming after a few seconds, some greet you with a "hi" or "hello" first, so watch out for something like this

2. If it is a raid, then the spammers will "take turns". This is usually but not 100% always the case.

3. Practically every user with a meme name is a troll. Such is the case with Youtube as well. This is why Google banned people from using names like "Adolf Hitler" or "Peter Griffin".

4. This may be highly sensitive but if a user speaks in Portuguese, they potentially can be a troll depending on what wiki they are from. The VSTF have confirmed to me during our last raid that there are several Portuguese wikis that have been shut down for having numerous users spam multiple wikis. Matthew Schroeder should be alerted if possible if someone joins and speaks Portuguese. According to Ven this has happened before with an innocent Portuguese speaking user. Ven alerted Matt and he settled everything.

5. Terrible grammar and excessive wanking is an obvious sign of a troll. Don't misundertsand, nobody truly has perfect grammar and English is not everyone's first language (it's not my first langauge). However there is a difference between "Hey, please look at Goku thread" and "OMG yuse gots check mah Goku thread".

Should someone like this appear in chat, a mod should have their mouse already on the ban option so when they start spamming, all it takes is a click and you're done. Or a kick should suffice then ban right immediately after and head over to the Rule Violation Thread. If one mod if caught off guard then another should act immediately.

Basically, should there be a rule against meme names or usernames in general? Especially since this is an all ages wiki or all ages accessible. We had a recent incident of someone named "TekkenB*tchSlap" who had an inappropriate username and was unwilling to change or make another account. I am well aware that sockpuppetry is a big issue on this wiki, but Vs Battle Wiki is still a friendly place for everyone who is kind enough to simply abide by the rules. Such is the case with any society in general. So if someone is not able to change their name, there should be a suggestion in place for them to make another account in that instacnce. Community Central even has a blog post about the different uses of a sockpuppet. Again, I am well aware that sockpuppetry is a massive problem on this wiki.

Thank you for reading and please forgive me if this is a sensitive topic meant only for a Staff Only Discussion Thread.

There are good points,that Sera has made here that need to be considered imho.

Also I've always wondered if there's a certain time limit that stops new users from entering chat straight away. There should be a time limit so that they can prove themselves to the community before they are trusted with chat.

If people are making accounts just to spam, the wait time would bore them, so that they would not consider spamming, because of the time they would need to wait.

I would recommend something like a week to a month. To prevent new users using chat.

I think that only wikia staff are able to do this, but at least I've made a possible solution to this problem and given my input on the subject.

Well, going by my personal experience, I have both seen non-trolls with offensive usernames (which are technically already not allowed), and actual trolls with regular usernames.

Also, even if we forbid usernames based on memes, it isn't like this will stop any trolls from simply using something random like "applepie67" or "alex86" instead.

And primarily, the big problems with the chat is the sheer enormous amount of time that it takes to constantly monitor it, which is energy that would have been better spent on improving the wiki itself.

I understand Ant. A troll can have any kind of name really and again I can look after chat. As LordAizenSama has said, it is not that difficult really. Normally a raid happens when staff in chat are caught off guard. Usually when that happens I'm already reporting to the VSTF because I know how these spammers work through talking with the Fandom Staff personally.

When a hacker called John Cenaaaaa came to chat and spammed, Hop banned him but he somehow circumvented his ban and somehow spammed Hop's wall. There were even admins in chat who did not know how to contact the Fandom Staff. My sister-in-law had to wake me up, I got on chat, reported John to the VSTF and had him globally blocked\banned.

I agree that spammers and trolls can have different names, but normally, at least in chat, a ridiculous name is usually a troll. But as Darkanine has said, that isnt' always the case.

Well, we should probably quickly make you into a chat moderator then, but I will wait to see what the other staff members think in the other thread first.

Ok. Also Ant, I can ask the Wiki Staff for greater restrictions on chat, based off what Colonel Krukov has stated above.

Yes. A waiting period seems like a good suggestion.

Creating wait time preventing new users sounds like a good idea, I think maybe for 2 weeks?

Agreed. I will contact the staff to see if they can do so.

2 weeks seems appropriate. Thank you for the help.

Unfortunately, someone at Community Central has said that a waiting period for chat may be against Fandom's Terms of Use. But he/she may have misinterpreted my question. I have asked if it is possible for us to have a chat bot like Community Central's chat does. One that bans users that post very large amounts of text immediately.

That seems like a good solution, it may be a good idea to add certain other aspects to the bot too.

Well, I would appreciate if you stress the issue that some of our current chat moderators are very overworked, and that a waiting period would help us tremendously.

I have done so. In the meantime, it is possible for us to have a chat bot. I am currently asking for the code. Is everyone okay with a chat bot?

If we really can't have the waiting period, a chat bot is better than nothing. Heck, both would be good, but it's probably best not to create additional work for other people if it's something they don't really need right now.

I think so, yes. Can it ban people who use vulgar terms as well?

Yes. It should stop the words from appearing in chat, or outright ban them. Although it would be difficult to make a list of every single possible phrase

That is possible, but lots of people use some swear words in chat. Hop said Chat is more or less PG-13 and some users go to chat to be more informal than they are in the main wiki. I think a bot banning people for swearing is a bit too much though I do not swear myself.

I rather not have a bot. Certain terms are easily handled by the staff by removing offenders. Not to mention its privileges, like banning kicking admins or moderators. We already tell people what not to say on the Chat Rules and that if it is an offense, we assume people read the rules when they enter, otherwise they're just making trouble and not being responsible. So we warn them if they're very new, otherwise they're a trouble maker or a troll and I personally do not tolerate that.

As for ourselves, we most very properly uphold our rules and while being casual enough to cut loose and place profanities happens, we are responsible or familiar enough to know when it is and isn't appropriate to use mild adult type language.

I don't understand why are suddenly so concerned to the point of being willing to completely reform and rewrite the Wiki Chat, which has been alive, well and functional for over a year, simple because of occasional BR Spammers.

It strikes me as paranoia and overreacting. We should take action against spammers, and a bot that bans spamming on the spot is ideal.

We don't need to turn the Chat, the most casual and laid-back portion of the Wiki, where people come to hangout and interact as friends, into an obtuse and bureucratic system that will please absolutely no one.

I think that you are severely overreacting to a very minor restriction to members who have had the time to somewhat acquaint themselves with the wiki.

I have already explained in the other tread that I am very uncomfortable with the sheer amount of work that the chat demands from the staff. Ways to lessen this are much preferable.

I do not feel loaded down when I am in chat, and we have staff nearly 24/7 and of course there's slow period where it's a ghost town. I feel you are worried about our health allot, which is appreciated, I confess, but we do not need be babied.

Are you honestly okay with sacrificing 14-18 hours of time every day just for the wiki chat?

Well I am off work and college for the next month and I have plenty of sleep now. Although we have users in other time zones so the shift switching is very accomedating.

Hmm. But all of the regular users would still remain. New member would simply have to wait a little while.

I am Ant. I am very ok with this. I do it so easily anyway.

Honestly, Modding the chat simply means keeping it open as a separate tab while doing other stuff, and checking every 1-2 minutes or so.

I practically always keep it open, even when dealing with Threads or profiling.

Don't worry about my health. After Ven's sleep deprivation illness our entire family has made it certain that we all get the required amount of sleep.

Good point. However I don't think it would be necesarry. I have plenty of free time and it is not strenous and I quite enjoy being in chat. I don't even mind banning trouble makers and filing reports, just a perk of the poistion IMO.

Okay then, although I still do not understand why you are so opposed to a 1 or 2 week waiting period.

The Fandom Staff have told me that the only way such a feature would be implemented in out wiki is if we are lacking staff. Which we are not. Hop and I will hold down chat with ease, we can even work out a schedule just in case real life interferes. I.e. I will ensure I'm on chat when Hop is away.

I don't know if I helped or not, but I hope I did.

Back