• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(NEW CALCULATION) Changing Baseline 10-B and 10-A (TIERING SYSTEM CHANGE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that the initial calculation posted above does not seem to have much support at this stage, I’ll begin working on a revised OP to better reflect the current goal of finding an accurate figure in joules for the energy output of the average human’s punch, as well as present the other stuff that has been presented

Last edited:
Before I do that though, just to get some final things in check...

1: Can I ask if baseline 10-B has similar issues with justifications based on approximation, or if there is a solid reasoning behind our figure of 40 Joules?

2: I’m still a bit iffy on using an average punch as baseline 10-A, as that would mean all 10-Bs would actually be... below the average human punch, which seems counter-intuitive. If we have a reliable figure for an “all-out” punch from an average human (which KLOL’s article seems to provide) surely that works better for baseline 10-A (A.K.A. the very best an “Average Human” can pull off?)

Before I do that though, just to get some final things in check...

1: Can I ask if baseline 10-B has similar issues with justifications based on approximation, or if there is a solid reasoning behind our figure of 40 Joules?

2: I’m still a bit iffy on using an average punch as baseline 10-A, as that would mean all 10-Bs would actually be... below the average human punch, which seems counter-intuitive. If we have a reliable figure for an “all-out” punch from an average human (which KLOL’s article seems to provide) surely that works better for baseline 10-A (A.K.A. the very best an “Average Human” can pull off?)
Human level would cap at 135-150 joules, while Athlete level would remain around the 150-300 J mark.

Human level would cap at 135-150 joules, while Athlete level would remain around the 150-300 J mark.
What’s the justification for baseline 10-B (just to make sure it doesn’t need changing for similar reasons) And I’m still not quite sure why we’re using an average human’s punch as baseline athlete level, as again, that makes all 10-Bs below the average punch in AP

Most humans, even average ones actually have Street level durability and are street level via kicking and body slamming. I also vaguely recall someone saying the average human punch is like 65 Joules on another thread.

Though, I know the mass of the fist is taking into account, but I think there are some concerns about how much mass of the arm is inserted into the punch might be the answer to probably calculate the average punch.

Most humans, even average ones actually have Street level durability and are street level via kicking and body slamming. I also vaguely recall someone saying the average human punch is like 65 Joules on another thread.

Though, I know the mass of the fist is taking into account, but I think there are some concerns about how much mass of the arm is inserted into the punch might be the answer to probably calculate the average punch.
Mass of the fist alone is not enough, you absolutely put your entire arm into a proper punch as well as your own body weight.

Mass of the fist alone is not enough, you absolutely put your entire arm into a proper punch as well as your own body weight.

So uh, this might be worth a shot

I’m gonna be honest though, I’m not sure what distance affected we’d use to convert the force into energy, though a CGM can (hopefully) help with that

Right off the bat I can tell you that 26 cm^2 is way too low for impact area, by about half as much. My own fist surface area (Height from my knuckle to botton of finger and then my fist width) is 49 cm^2 at the bare minimum. The gloves will undoubtedly add to this.

The default distance affected would be a foot at the bare minimum, so 0.3048 meters.

Right off the bat I can tell you that 26 cm^2 is way too low for impact area, by about half as much. My own fist surface area (Height from my knuckle to botton of finger and then my fist width) is 49 cm^2 at the bare minimum. The gloves will undoubtedly add to this.

The default distance affected would be a foot at the bare minimum, so 0.3048 meters.
I tried googling results to see if there was a figure for the average surface area of a fist, but I got answers in the hundreds of square centimetres which obviously isn’t right

I tried googling results to see if there was a figure for the average surface area of a fist, but I got answers in the hundreds of square centimetres which obviously isn’t right
They're covering the entire fist itself, all sides, not the frontal impact area.

Anyhow, personally, I think scaling to punching strength, whatever that ends up being, is what we should do for the border between 10-B and 10-A
Why?

Every normal person can produce energy greater than the punching values you guys are suggesting. It makes no sense for that to be 10-B and 10-A because every normal person would be 9-C. The thing the tiers' name refers to would not even be in that tier.

We would have to completely overhaul our lower tiers in really ridiculous ways to fix the issue of humans getting 9-C so often
Dude, it isn't just a matter of it happening "often," it's average. You, me, and I'm sure everyone else in this thread would be 9-C with almost every attack aside from punches. The punch is a very weak strike. With what's suggested, no normal human (which is what the tier refers to in the first place) would even be in that tier.
Into a wall? He'd end up with multiple injuries to himself and break some bones. That is not at all grounds for scaling.
Define wall.

Drywall? Lol no. It would hurt, but humans are not that fragile.

A thin wooden wall? Probably not either.

What wall are you thinking of?

Football tackles can rupture organs even when not rammed into a wall.
This is not something that happens commonly. Most of the time, people are fine after tackles.

Also, why are you bringing up athlete tackles anyway? I'm talking about normal people running at normal speeds. That alone is well into 9-C.

Can he survive ramming another person of similar weight ramming him and coming to a dead stop?
You're asking me if two people jogging at 3.5 m/s running into each other would survive?

Seriously? Yes, they would survive. Maybe they'd be hurt, sure, but not nearly to the point of being severely injured or ******* dying lmao. They would scale.

Why?

Every normal person can produce energy greater than the punching values you guys are suggesting. It makes no sense for that to be 10-B and 10-A because every normal person would be 9-C. The thing the tiers' name refers to would not even be in that tier.
They need to be able to withstand 9-C without any damage to their body whatsoever

Dude, it isn't just a matter of it happening "often," it's average. You, me, and I'm sure everyone else in this thread would be 9-C with almost every attack aside from punches. The punch is a very weak strike. With what's suggested, no normal human (which is what the tier refers to in the first place) would even be in that tier.
We'd need to brush off those attacks without suffering even the slightest of injuries to be able to scale and without quickly tiring out within seconds.

Define wall.

Drywall? Lol no. It would hurt, but humans are not that fragile.

A thin wooden wall? Probably not either.

What wall are you thinking of?
Solid brick/concrete wall.

This is not something that happens extremely often. Most of the time, people are fine after tackles.
Because they're not getting rammed into a wall where they'd end up taking the full force. They get tackled into empty space behind them, which is where linear momentum takes over and it would nerf the actual energy they take from a tackle.

Also, why are you bringing up athlete tackles anyway? I'm talking about normal people running at normal speeds. That alone is well into 9-C.
Because linear momentum is a thing.

You're asking me if two people jogging at 3.5 m/s running into each other would survive?

Seriously? Yes, they would survive. Maybe they'd be hurt, sure, but not nearly to the point of being severely injured or ******* dying lmao. They would scale.
Again, body parts are not linearly durable in all places nor are our organs as durable as the outside.

And we mostly give AP to people based on how hard they can punch and kick.

We'd need to brush off those attacks without suffering even the slightest of injuries to be able to scale and without quickly tiring out within seconds.
Kicks are 9-C and the drawback you feel from them is not much different than a punch. What is the argument here?

Also, if this is the case Deku doesn't scale to like any of his attacks early in the series?

Kicks are 9-C and the drawback you feel from them is not much different than a punch. What is the argument here?
Legs are heavier and overall much more difficult to maneuver, and thus require more technique to master.

Also, if this is the case Deku doesn't scale to like any of his attacks early in the series?
I'm pretty sure Deku's got combat training for that to not be an issue for him. It's literally all about technique, not just throwing limbs around.

Legs are heavier and overall much more difficult to maneuver, and thus require more technique to master.
Yes. But even untrained normal people are 9-C with kicks they put some effort into. And jumping. And hammering with both fists. And etc ... All of which can be done pretty consistently.

I'm pretty sure Deku's got combat training for that to not be an issue for him. It's literally all about technique, not just throwing limbs around.
In the early series he always breaks bones and stuff but his AP isn't affected by this.

It's only been a rule for durability scaling in real life, not in fiction.
If that's the case then human durability should not even scale to punches because we don't no-sell them either.

Weird standard for us to have.

(With permission from KLOL) I'd like to point out that getting exact joule values from Human punches via the KE formula is super duper difficult, on account of how hard it is to actually define the parameters of Mass and Velocity.

For speed- while there's speeds for average punches online, that's only the speed that the fist/end of the arm is traveling at. The speed for every body part involved varies, as each body part moves/rotates a different distance during the motion of punching.

So the while the forearm and fist basically move straight forward, the arm, shoulder, and rest of the torso turn on different axes different amounts.

For mass- well, it's hard to measure how much of the body is put behind their punches. Obviously given the movements in the body, it's gonna be more than just the mass of the fist and forearm, but it's also clearly going to be less than the actual full weight of the body like a tackle would be.

Why?

I've explained why already.
I disagree with using tackles as a point of reference, if you get hit by one most of the energy is lost and the one that hits you is spread over a wide area, you're absolutely not "tanking" them in any way. I would also bring to attention that a 150 joules hit to the head will often be lethal for a normal person, so it couldn't be higher than that. Speaking of which, I disagree that humans can "tank" beatings so easily, a good hit will absolutely floor you, even a punch.

Also if you punch a wall at full force you will absolutely get hurt, hell you can hurt yourself even by punching other people.
Being capable of outputting force in some way doesn't mean you ""scale"" to it, especially tackles. As for kicks, you basically never see those happen in fights between untrained people and if you do they're clumsy and end up delivering very little of the full energy they produced.

The change being made is fine, but I'm not for the OP's calc for a new tier window. If we're rating it off of IRL stuff better to just find a study that goes over this imo.
Neutral, but a more generalized study seems reasonable yeah.
Is somebody here able to find such a study with results that can be reasonably easily understood, please?

I think we kinda have to bite the bullet that we will have to ignore the things that get 9-C, because unless you want 10-A Guns some human stuff will always get 9-C. Granted, I’m not particularly against making 9-C harder to get into. Guns are all about piercing damage anyways, no? Why is listing the pure KE as not capable of necessarily killing any human so offensive?

I think we kinda have to bite the bullet that we will have to ignore the things that get 9-C, because unless you want 10-A Guns some human stuff will always get 9-C. Granted, I’m not particularly against making 9-C harder to get into. Guns are all about piercing damage anyways, no? Why is listing the pure KE as not capable of necessarily killing any human so offensive?
Because we can't account for piercing damage within our already-simplified Tiering System that runs on energy yield values.

Because we can't account for piercing damage within our already-simplified Tiering System that runs on energy yield values.
Then put “far higher via piercing damage” or put a note at the end of every gun profile

Then put “far higher via piercing damage” or put a note at the end of every gun profile
IIRC they were supposed to have "far higher via piercing damage" added to them in a separate CRT.

That however still doesn't solve the problems of where 10-B would start and end and where Athlete level would start and end.

IMHO Human level should be from 100-150 joules and Athlete level should be from 150-300 J given that we prioritize punching power over kicking power and falls most of the time. And the reasons Armor said.

Ok so to summarise, the current things in need of discussion are:

- What is the energy in joules of an average Human’s punch? Should that be used as baseline 10-A?

- What is baseline 10-B based on, are there more solid figures? (Like the 37.5 Joules posted above)

- Should baseline 9-C be increased?

And then some things that were brought up in this thread, but are not inherently linked to it

- Should we rename 9-C to “Peak Human Tier”?

- Should we create a “Superhuman” Tier for characters with incalculable but very obviously > 9-C levels of power/feats?

Did I miss anything?

I agree that 10-B should still be an easy tier to get that involves early teens, and women to get into it generally speaking. And thus 40 Joules is a fine baseline to me. Our tiering system might be accused of being sexist if our system basically says the average adult women is only 10-C.

But I don't quite mind raising the requirement to reach 10-A though, and it's important to note that our 10-B, 10-A, and 9-C borders are more or less using modern day standards. As most people in the medieval times and before where straight up 9-C given the lack of modern technology requiring humans to be much more physically fit to even keep up with typical tasks. Replacing sickles with lawnmowers, axes with woodchippers, and especially replacing swords, bows, and arrows with firearms/guns of over time man humanity as a whole a physically weaker species.

Ok so to summarise, the current things in need of discussion are:

- What is the energy in joules of an average Human’s punch? Should that be used as baseline 10-A?
If you're talking about the 135-150 J value, yes, as that's what the athletes are shown to be generating energy consistently above this.

- What is baseline 10-B based on, are there more solid figures? (Like the 37.5 Joules posted above)
I think that 37.5 J value might've been the basis for Human level's baseline. IDK, it was very long ago.

- Should baseline 9-C be increased?
No, it is fine as is.

And then some things that were brought up in this thread, but are not inherently linked to it

- Should we rename 9-C to “Peak Human Tier”?
Won't happen without DT giving the green light for this.

- Should we create a “Superhuman” Tier for characters with incalculable but very obviously > 9-C levels of power/feats?
No, Superhuman is usable for a multitude of tiers beyond human capability. It's too vague for a name or a tier. It would only cause further confusion.

So it's cap should be raised to 150 only then?
Yeah, sure.
I agree that 10-B should still be an easy tier to get that involves early teens, and women to get into it generally speaking. And thus 40 Joules is a fine baseline to me. Our tiering system might be accused of being sexist if our system basically says the average adult women is only 10-C.
That was a secondary concern too, though I think it also just makes indexing easier.

Anyway, a bit of a concern if we raise 10-A to 150 is that 10-A would literally just be 50 joules wide. I guess there's nothing wrong with it in a vacuum but that is a really tiny margin.

If you're talking about the 135-150 J value, yes, as that's what the athletes are shown to be generating energy consistently above this.
My concern is if we make the average human punch baseline 10-A then all people rated 10-B will be... below the average human’s punch. Which is obviously not what we should be doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back