• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The canonicity of the Rebuild movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

First_Witch

VS Battles
Retired
Having finished the 3.0+1.0 not too long ago, i wondered why nothing from said movie was applied to our profiles, in fact, i seemingly cant find any thread that discussed what was dropped in the movie at all.

For the uninitiated, Before 3.0+1.0, the Rebuild movies were nothing more than, well, rebuilds, a retelling of the original series and as such not really canon to the original series. That fact changed with the last movie though, turning the rebuild movies into an actual sequel to the anime. The movie has in fact far bigger implications than that, but this is something we can discuss later.

So my question is, was the movie already discussed and i just managed to miss that thread and if yes, was a verdict reached that choose to not use 3.0+1.0?

It's a pretty simply answer. They aren't canon to NGE. Are they a retelling? Yes. Are they close enough to the source material to be canon or ever stated to be canon? Nope, and watching them makes that clear enough

I think we could definitely get Rebuild profiles if we wanted to. But for all intensive purposes, they aren't canon to the original anime

May i hear your reasoning as to why they arent canon? Considering that:
Shinji remembers NGE happend and that Kaworu outright tells that they have met multiple times because of the Book Of Life?

May i hear your reasoning as to why they arent canon? Considering that:
Shinji remembers NGE happend and that Kaworu outright tells that they have met multiple times because of the Book Of Life?
That's more a case of a "universal reset" of sorts. It's not like NGE and Rebuild actually happened in the same timeline/universe. If they did, there's about a hundred contradictions

There was never a thread about it.
I'm assuming most people on this Wiki haven't watched it yet.
Which i find weird considering that the movie is out since months already (Granted, youre willing to pirate), so i really didn't entertain the thought, especially for something as high profile as the last Evangelion movie.

In the end we're likely getting Rebuild profiles, but nothing there should apply to the original profiles. Admittedly, that's helpful given one page trying to contain everything from both universes would be cluttered

That's more a case of a "universal reset" of sorts. It's not like NGE and Rebuild actually happened in the same timeline/universe. If they did, there's about a hundred contradictions
Yeah, i guess my wording wasnt as apt as i was hoping for. That is correct, the movie did spell it out quite blatantly that
the Evangelion franchise as a whole is just a looping movie setting created by Shinji, which would make the concepts established in the Rebuild Movies universally applyable to the franchise as a whole.
, but youre right that it woudnt be applyable to NGE profiles directly i guess.

But alright, i guess most people have just not seen the movie, so my question at hand is answered, i think the movie deserves a proper discussion after people are up to date with it.

Yeah, I know the discussion of Rebuild profiles on the wiki has been brought up once or twice, so now’s probably a good time to bring it up again

I lowkey don’t know what kind of rating the Rebuild EVAs would get so that might be neat

Not a fan of keys on original profiles personally. New pages entirely seem like a far more organizable method

Okay. That should be fine then. You can write footnotes regarding the shared/reborn consciousnesses of the different characters.

Witchy makes fine enough points, I also don't really get why the two aren't canon to each other, but uh... yeah, I'm not opposed to new profiles, either. Somebody should hop on that, though. Y'all weebs have like three good verses and you're sleeping on one smh.

Witchy makes fine enough points, I also don't really get why the two aren't canon to each other, but uh... yeah, I'm not opposed to new profiles, either.
I explained why above and Witch agreed with me

Yes, Evangelion is sadly slept on regarding the wiki

We don't have Rebuild Eva profiles for the simple fact of the matter that Eva doesn't get much interest in wiki terms. That being said, I'd be game to someone actually making profiles for it.

Okay. It seems like we have decided that creating new profile pages seems like the best option (preferably with an explanation about the reason for the separation in the verse page or otherwise). Are any of you willing to handle it?

Uh I asked for some feats to be calced way back in the day, but that never went anywhere. The real big issue is figuring out what the **** the final Eva battle means in terms of abilities beyond "a lot". I'd probably need to watch all four movies again, but I just don't got the time for that right now.

Oh shit this randomly got traction huh.

I do agree with Lonkitt that that NGE and Rebuild should get different profiles. Its debateable wether or not you can apply Rebuild stuff to the NGE timeline, but you can absolutly apply NGE to Rebuild, it being the final canon and all. What exactly that entails, i dont know too sadly, as i only watched NGE and the Rebuilds. And yeah, Crabby is absolutly right, figuring out what the **** actually happend in the final of 4.44 is a big hurdle too. Way too many concepts and ideas were introduced in that movie.

Oh shit this randomly got traction huh.

I do agree with Lonkitt that that NGE and Rebuild should get different profiles. Its debateable wether or not you can apply Rebuild stuff to the NGE timeline, but you can absolutly apply NGE to Rebuild, it being the final canon and all. What exactly that entails, i dont know too sadly, as i only watched NGE and the Rebuilds. And yeah, Crabby is absolutly right, figuring out what the **** actually happend in the final of 4.44 is a big hurdle too. Way too many concepts and ideas were introduced in that movie.
So would scaling the final Rebuild movies from the original series be acceptable, and if so, should we do so via separate profile pages or just new keys in the originals? It seems better if we can find new feats from the Rebuild movies, get them calculated, and scale to that instead, though.
Uh I asked for some feats to be calced way back in the day, but that never went anywhere. The real big issue is figuring out what the **** the final Eva battle means in terms of abilities beyond "a lot". I'd probably need to watch all four movies again, but I just don't got the time for that right now.
If you bring up the relevant feats again, I can ask some calc group members for help.

So would scaling the final Rebuild movies from the original series be acceptable, and if so, should we do so via separate profile pages or just new keys in the originals? It seems better if we can find new feats from the Rebuild movies, get them calculated, and scale to that instead, though.
Definitely new profiles. To give you an idea of why keys are a less ideal method, imagine if you gave Post-Crisis Superman a New 52 key

Yes, that is a very good point. We will go with new profile pages then.

If you bring up the relevant feats again, I can ask some calc group members for help.
The ones I can remember off the top of my head are Ramiel's mountain disintegration, Sahaquiel's explosion (and whatever lifting strength it would constitute to stop an object of that size falling), Eva 00 detonating an N2 bomb right in Zeruel's face and as for speed feats not really sure, aside from Eva 01 creating a sonic shockwave around itself when running.

Okay. Somebody will need to get visual evidence for the feats though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back