• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mysterio Rework

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is "How to read comics the Marvel way" really considered a part of regular continuity?

Except for that, your draft looks good to me at least, but we need more input.

Is "How to read comics the Marvel way" really considered a part of regular continuity?
There's no official statement on its continuity (that I can find at least) however it repeatedly references events and stories of the 616 universe

There's no official statement on its continuity (that I can find at least) however it repeatedly references events and stories of the 616 universe
If it has never been referenced in regular stories, it seems too unreliable to use, especially if it was a very brief power-up that does not fulfill our basic standards for sufficient relevance.

Big o' rework for the master of illusions.
I've currently listed Cosmic Comic Mysterio as unknown as I'm way too tired at the time of this post if anyone wants to propose a more solid tiering; feel free to do so.
Nice. I really do like this revision, it's a massive upgrade from the old profile and seems pretty much ready to go. His Cosmic Comic form is very interesting but it seems too temporary to be added (per Antvasima's words) but otherwise, you've got my approval, however valuable that is

If it has never been referenced in regular stories, it seems too unreliable to use, especially if it was a very brief power-up that does not fulfill our basic standards for sufficient relevance.
Well, the first issue of his appearance in this form was only December last year and he was the main threat of that limited run.

Dunno about Marvel's notability criteria but if that's truly the case, I'll remove it.

Thank you for helping out.

This revision can probably be applied then, but it is best to wait a bit longer in order to make certain.

Thank you for helping out.

What was accepted here can probably be applied then. However, that means that the entire cosmic comic statistics key and duplication should be removed first.

Wait a little. The cosmic comic is likely not even an official part of continuity, and is a brief power-up as well. All of the information related to it should preferably be removed from Mysterio's page.

The cosmic comic is likely not even an official part of continuity
Again, events from the 616 universe are directly mentioned and Spider-Man remembers all of them, implying this is indeed the 616 versions of the characters.
Brief power-up
Mysterio had it for an entire miniseries. Yes, it's brief compared to permanent transformation but that should be enough to at least warrant the mention of the powers and abilities of the Cosmic Comic in the Optional Equipment section.

The problem is that this is a heavy metafiction story that interacts with the readers in an unnatural manner compared to other Spider-Man stories. Even if it incorporates the history of the character, this does not mean that the regular comic book stories will acknowledge it as a part of their own continuity.

Also, even if this was the case, I do not think that the upgrade lasted long enough to be incorporated in the current manner.

From a quick read, How to Read Comics the Marvel Way goes out of its way to end in a way that does not cause any issues with canon (effectively the events of the comic itself are undone) so I think there's no reason to consider it non-canon.

It can't get a key since it's only 4 issues, however including it as P&A is fine since it's something the character has at his disposal (but Spider-Man doesn't without the story's events, so he wouldn't have it). I also think given that it's its own thing with P&A that's quite different from Mysterio's usual deal, giving it its own sub-tabber under "Optional Equipment" would be good.

Yes, I agree about that if we keep it, it should preferably get its own tabber.

Also as a side note I really like how the comic explains comic book workings, it's really neat.

Oh also, great work on the profile overall, seems all good at a glance from me

Actually hold on, apologies, but I just noticed the profile uses the Handbooks for a couple minor things. We tend to not use them as the sole evidence for anything since it's unreliable. You're only using it for Self-Sustenance, which might need to be removed, and Martial Arts though, so if Mysterio has other feats of holding his own decently in H2H combat, that should be fine to keep - Handbooks are fine for supporting pre-existing abilities, as I understand.

Also, for Self-Substance, I'd like to point out that it's supported in the comics themselves.

For example, Mysterio implies that his helmet protects him from his own hallucinogenic mist (Web of Spider-Man, Issue 90), with him being exposed to the mist once said helmet is cracked.

This IMO, supports his suit having its own air supply.

He also pretty much constantly surrounds himself with smoke throughout his various appearances, yet suffers no adverse effects to his breathing. So I'd say his suit supplying him air isn't inconsistent with how the character is usually portrayed.

The profile seems good. However, I'm unsure if it is good to put mainstream universe Mysterio and Ultimate Comic Mysterio into one profile? VS Battles Wiki currently treats them as separate continuities and therefore mainstream comic character and their Ultimate Comic counterparts have separate profiles. I don't see any explanations regarding this in Mysterio's profile too.

The profile seems good. However, I'm unsure if it is good to put mainstream universe Mysterio and Ultimate Comic Mysterio into one profile? VS Battles Wiki currently treats them as separate continuities and therefore mainstream comic character and their Ultimate Comic counterparts have separate profiles. I don't see any explanations regarding this in Mysterio's profile too.
Ultimate Mysterio is just an android created by the main universe variant. They are the same person.

Or rather, anything shown in Ultimate, Mysterio can do in the main universe.

Last edited:
I feel that such information is necessary to be noted in the profile (with references) to prevent confusion from non-knowledgeable members.
Mysterio reveals that Ultimate Mysterio is a robotic avatar of himself (Spider-Men, issue #2)

This can be used as a reference, if a note is really needed. (If the image is a bit blurry, feel free to use a different one, OP)
A footnote seems necessary, yes.

Also, shouldn't the cosmic comic abilities be moved to a separate tabber of their own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back