• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Little Pony Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I remember hearing something about the original cast of villains that Hope recruited in Siege of the Crystal Enpire to be different.

At the very least, Iron Will realized he went to far near the end. Still makes no sense but it's something.

IMO, the worst arcs were

The Good, The Bad and The Ponies (Just really dull and everyone was horribly out of character. Fun villains though)
The Root of the Problem (Preachy, insulting and stupid. Not to mention how out of character everyone was. Rarity was willing to let Ponyville get destroyed for her own safety and the Mane Six were perfectly fine with potentially killing an entire workforce)
Night of the Living Apples (Just so ******* stupid. The writing was awful, the villains were lame, the characters were out of character agai and the humor was painfully unfunny)
Ponies of Dark Water (Awful artwork, bad writing and wasted potential. The shading loos like it' done through stock gradiant effects and the characters just looked off the entire way)
Fiendship is Magic "Tirek" (What even happened? No seriously, what happened?)

It's got its moments, especially when Sombra gets to be a badass. I love his exchanges with Queen Chrysalis.

The artwork is generally top notch too. Andy Price and Sara Richards did the art, arguably the two best artists for the series. It does suffer from the fact that not everything in the series translates well into comic format (just look at Sombra's muzzle in the scans above). Where the art shines is the Umbra Dimension and Umbra in general, this is just beautiful.

It mostly fails in how lopsided it is. Most the actual story happens in the first two issues, while the the last issues are mostly filled up with a comedic fight scene which ruins the pacing of everything.

One thing I love about the comcis is the different art styles.

Also one of the Umbrum looks like diamond Tiara or at leats has her color scheme.

Yeah, I love how each artist has their own style. While I love Andy Price's style, I think Jay Fosgitt and Ted Anderson capture the feeling of the show the best. To bad they tend to get paired up with really bad stories.

I also really love Ben Bates and Akira Himekawa's stuff, but they've only done a handful of stories.

Tony Fleecs is probably my least favorite. I think it's the shading his work, it just doesn't look as good as others. Thomas Zahler's art is so weird that I can't help but like it. Looks like a fan comic half the time.

Not saying they are, I have a soft spot for the Friendship is Magic - The Comic series, but fan comics don't have to have the same artistic standards as published comics do.

IDW comics in general tend to have a lot of variety in artwork, almost every issue of their DuckTales run is done by a different artist, for example.

Oh shit, The Return of Tempest Shadow is out?

Gotta check that out.

Has anyone read the Ponyville Mystery comics? I gotta wonder if Snips's family is just a different species at this point since they all look weird as hell.

That's....a strangely apt comparison.

I mean lovecraft and lovecraftian abominations have been in the MLP canon for awhile so maybe.

edit @Js The books has lesbian aunts Holiday and Lofty. They don't appear in the comics, at least not yet.

I find it amusing that G4 used the Sparkly-Eyed ponies as an Atlantis expy, while G1 had Sparky-Eyed ponies as Ponies who were enslaved and abused for so long in a dark tunnel that their eyes no longer worked so they replaced them with gemstones.

Well this is the same gen where Somnambula went from a human villain in G1 to an Egyptian pink Pegasus pony pillar of Equestria in G4 I do find the differences in gens amusing

And how Tempest Shadow was in G3 and early G4.

No idea Somnambula was in G1 though. She looks freaky there.

Kind of wish they brought in a human wizard villain at one point, for old times sake.

I saw Rollercoaster of Friendship (Equestria Girls). Only two feats were shown suitable for the wiki:

1. Rarity's diamond magic is able to resist light-based attacks/magic (Rarity wasn't teleported in a room like her friends, who sent into a white room by her phone)

2. Applejack can tilt a parade float. (Assume it's the mass of a parade float, is she Class 5)

Did you know that names of two of the Pillars (not including Starswirl) were mentioned before season 7? I just found it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back