• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My little Pony Discussion Thread 3 the end Is neigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarkDragonMedeus said:
We all miss DarnAnine, he was the nicest Admin we ever had.
Psst.

It's me, Dark. Posting on a new account sometimes now.
Comics are def not canon. They're consistently described as a secondary continuity, not secondary cano. Which given the radical changes like Sombra's fate, the appearance of Holiday and Lofty and lots of other minor changes, makes the most sense.

That said, I'm all for comic profiles.

As for the manga, there aren't really any feats of note. I have a Kindle copy of it so if anyone needs scans, feel free to ask. The most notable aspects of it is Future Ponies and Chrono Rangers having tech capable of time travel but that's about it. Well, Discord also created a city with his magic and essentially mindcontroll the entire Mane Six + Spike but that's pretty far below him. Twilight has a spell that sounds universal in description, but doesn't really do anything.

Also Celestia blasted an arcade machine to the moon but that's pretty weak in comparison to mainline eats.

That's it. It vaguely sounds universal (at least to me) but didn't really do anything impressive.

Something like that. Celestia was able to notice it so it could probably just be reality warping too.

I suppose it does sound universal but all it did as summon infinite Pinkie Pies.

Reading it again I think Plot Manipulation makes sense considering he was outside the panels, then decided to change it to "a more Authentic Flavor"

It could be a resistance to Plot Manipulation for Celestia.

I did thoroughly enjoy the Manga.

Aren't they described as canon until contradicted? That sounds like secondary canon.

Well, me rephrase that: The comics by themselves are described as secondary continuity, however according to Hasbro their events and stories can be counted as canon to the show if the show doesn't contradict them. This to me sounds a lot like secondary canon. Guidebooks/databooks for anime and manga are similarly described as secondary canon and have been used when not contradicted by what has been shown and disregarded when it is. The comics and show explicitly have such a relationship according Hasbro.

If I were you guys, I wouldn't really overcomplicate this and would just consider it separate canon opposing from the show's canon from what has been told and/or implied. How about just creating separate profiles on the comic book counterparts since there apear to be none so far?

EMagoIorSouI said:
If I were you guys, I wouldn't really overcomplicate this and would just consider it separate canon opposing from the show's canon from what has been told and/or implied. How about just creating separate profiles on the comic book counterparts since there apear to be none so far?
Because in my opinion, that goes against what we've been told and feels dishonest.

Oh sorry, you ninja'd me with that edit by bolding the text.

Admittedly, I'm a bit confused on the topic. Are the comics exactly treated as actual canon or is separate? And if you describe it being second continuity, if any comic changes were made would they need different profiles altogether or just different keys? Similar to how Dragon Ball character profiles go depending on the different adaption of DB.

EMagoIorSouI said:
Oh sorry, you ninja'd me with that edit by bolding the text.
Admittedly, I'm a bit confused on the topic. Are the comics exactly treated as actual canon or is separate? And if you describe it being second continuity, if any comic changes were made would they need different profiles altogether or just different keys? Similar to how Dragon Ball character profiles go depending on the different adaption of DB.
Both sort of? Basically, what happens in the comic book series can be taken as canon to the show itself. However, what happens in the comics is only canon as long as the show does nothing to contradict it. If it does, then that event is no longer canon to the show. However, the rest of the comics would still be canon unless they are also contradicted. It's kinda confusing.

EMagoIorSouI said:
Makes sense. I wonder how we'll put these into fruition.
Well I already tried making a thread and failed miserably. So probably never. Chances are, the comic series are only showing up as seperate profiles, as much as I would abhor that.

Some potential spoilers

Ianflynaware1 Ianflynaware2
Just read the story. Art wise, it's a little better than Fleecs' typical showings. It's not as incomphrensable as some of his worse comics, but a lot of things still look really weird and offputting. Good linework and the coloring was alright. Heather Breckel wasn't credited as the colorist in the issue and it kinda shows. Isn't as virant as usual, but not bad.

The writing was really good though. The comic does a lot of deconstructions on the series, but in a way that feels earned - poking holes at how patchwork and rough the whole Storm King storyline was and using how it doesn't really making sense to tell its story. It's a lot more clever and insightful than what we usually get in the comics and it is such a breath of fresh air.

Very excited to see what's coming next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back